RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Does the added cost of DEF for these trucks concern you?

• Yes - won't buy an EcoDiesel due to this

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - hate it, but gotta buy it

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Meh - it is what it is, no biggie

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Nah - just part of the cost of ownership

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • No - I knew it was an added cost before buying

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Last thing on my mind

Votes: 28 27.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people posting about it. I see opinions expressed on which is best, pricing and where to get the best prices. Along the way, many complain about "having to pay for DEF" and noting it adds costs.

So, informally, where do folks here fall?

POLL is open, so vote and we'll have a good, easy to reference resource. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to my calculations, it's going to run me about $60-70 a year. So.....ya..not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes, I'm concerned about the DEF prices, but it wasn't enough to keep me from buying the truck. It's more so that I'll make sure I fill up at a truck stop when I get low, versus HELL NO will I buy a 2.5 gallon jug for $12 or whatever they go for.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think the emmission requirements are BS and too strict for light/medium duty engines in the 1500-3500 market for what most people use the trucks for, but i do think DEF is a better option than what cummins did with the first batch of 6.7's with post combustion injection. Should be alot less problems with DEF and the mileage pays for itself. You do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Judging by some of the other post I am lucky with my DEF usage. I have somewhere around 4300 miles and it is just over half a tank. coincidently my oil life monitor reads 58%, I'm betting that's about where my DEF tank is sitting.
I for one am not going to fill it until it gets to the red, I want to see how far I can go. The only thing that may get me to fill it early is if it is close to the red before I tow my boat on a 1200 mile trip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the availability will go up and the price will go down as more trucks and cars too for that matter are produced with this requirement.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I figure the DEF will add about 3 - 4 cents per gallon of fuel in additional operating cost. The Stanadyne additive adds another 1.5 cents (or less) per gallon. So, adding DEF and Stanadyne to add another 4.5 to 5.5 cents a gallon, 7 cents tops. Around here, it's easy enough to save 10 cents a gallon on good diesel by just watching where I buy it. So, at the end of the day, I have to use DEF, I choose to use Stanadyne, but neither one is going to break me.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I figure the DEF will add about 3 - 4 cents per gallon of fuel in additional operating cost. The Stanadyne additive adds another 1.5 cents (or less) per gallon. So, adding DEF and Stanadyne to add another 4.5 to 5.5 cents a gallon, 7 cents tops. Around here, it's easy enough to save 10 cents a gallon on good diesel by just watching where I buy it. So, at the end of the day, I have to use DEF, I choose to use Stanadyne, but neither one is going to break me.
Good way to look at it. I feel like if you're really that concerned about DEF this isn't the truck for you. I mean, the higher cost of purchase is basically your ticket to the dance.... and if you're already at the dance you can't worry about paying for pictures or drinks...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not at all concerned. At the rate mine is using it will cost about $2 per 1,000 km's

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bought a 55gal drum of it from Keller Hart which was $186 shipped. After that I'll just take it to a truck stop and fill it with about 30gal at a time. Used to have 2 3/4 tons at work, now it's 1 and 1 so consumption has gone down. I believe he got 6,500miles and I put 7.75 gallons of DEF in the ram. The ford uses around 1gal a week unloaded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts