RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Are you new to RAM Trucks or not?

• Current Ram Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 166 26.2%
  • Current Chevy/GMC Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • Current Ford Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 43 6.8%
  • Former Ram Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 49 7.7%
  • Former Ford Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 62 9.8%
  • Former Chevy/GMC Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 69 10.9%
  • Current SUV Owner (any manufacturer) that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 43 6.8%
  • Never Owned a Pickup Truck and have Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 78 12.3%
  • Current Toyota Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 19 3.0%
  • Current Nissan Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Former Toyota Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 31 4.9%
  • Former Nissan Pickup Truck Owner that has Purchased or Placed an Order for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Votes: 8 1.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Our very own member ExploreUtah came up with an excellent idea for a poll and we have decided to run with it. He came to us with a very good question. ExploreUtah asked "I wonder if the new RAM 1500 EcoDiesel is attracting new customers to RAM." Well, what better place to find that out than here at RAM 1500 Diesel.

We'd love for everyone reading this to please vote in the poll and leave us your comments. The poll will stay up indefinitely, so if you know anyone who is purchasing or is going to purchase the 1500 EcoDiesel and aren't members yet have them sign up and vote. We want to hear from everyone!

Cheers ExploreUtah!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes this will be my first Ram truck ever. Not only the Engine that attracted me but also the ZF trans. that Ram is using with the new engine. If the truck was using a normal crappy Chrysler trans. I would not have ordered and bought this truck. My jeep has a crappy Chrysler trans and I hate it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You might want to tweak the questions. There are 8 choices but half are the same.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First truck buyer. Always told myself when someone finally makes a truck with a luxurious interior and fuel economy that doesn't suck I'd buy one. Ram stepped up to the plate and I gladly ordered one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first RAM. I have owned three Dodge Dakota's but switched to Chevy for last two trucks. Attracted to the Eco Diesel and lucked in to a very good deal with local dealer. So made the switch. Quite an upgrade from any other truck I have owned before.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Grew up a Mopar kid.... my dad has 6 brothers and they all grew up in the muscle car era and were all Mopar kids (still are). ;) So I grew up listening to many stories and going to many car shows becoming a Mopar fan myself.

I would have (and still would) love to restore a 60's or 70's Mopar muscle car at some point in my life but I didn't have the money in college and wouldn't be practical anyway. So I bought a mint '97 Ford Thunderbird 4.6l V-8 with 60k miles. Loved that car (still do and still have it 225k on it now).

Then a couple years after graduating college and working in my career field (engineering) I was getting tired of towing the snowmobile around with the T-bird in the winters so I needed to get a pickup. I really wanted to buy a Dodge Ram (2004) or newer (in 2006) but I couldn't quite afford exactly what I wanted (and I was raised by my dad in a very set mind set that you don't buy something that you can't afford (pay cash for)). So I started looking at Silverado's since they were a dime a dozen and you could get a pretty loaded vehicle for a price I could afford. So I ended up with a 2001 Extended cab Silverado that has served me well for 8 years or so.

I am now since married (still have the snowmobile, motorcycle and T-bird) and my wife and will be sending the Silverado on it's way to make room for the new 2014 RAM 1500 Limited Crew 4x4 6'4" box Ecodiesel :D Quite possibly could be the first and last brand new pickup that we ever buy...at least for a long time anyway. So years and years of driving Mopar product of my families (drove a 1972 Plymouth Valiant 4 door 318ci for my drivers test all the way through the first two years of college... then my two little sisters took over. Great car for my dad to have all his kids learn in/dent up) and now I am finally going to be an owner of my own! Can't wait for it to get here.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Current and former owners are entirely different.
In some cases that may be true, although why do we care if they owned a pickup in the past? Confusing, too, because some people own multiple trucks of different brands. More interesting to know what they are replacing now, if anything, and why. Good polls are difficult to design.

In my case I have owned 2 pickups previously but they are not on the list. Our current vehicle is an SUV so I checked that selection but the poll still shows "0" after SUV. :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Always viewed Chrysler as inferior product. Becoming disolutioned with vastly over exaggerated EPA estimate on my 2013 Sierra & intro of the new ed intrigued me. Ate a little crow & went for a test drive in a longhorn dealer demo & was awed by the overall look & feel of quality. The ride & drive we're almost luxury car level. When I got back in my gmc, it felt like an old farm truck by comparison. Took a beating trading in a less than 1 year old truck but I had to have the new ram. Placed an order before the end of that week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Traded in a 2007 F150 for an ED Limited. Was going to try and get another year or two out it. But once I test drove the ED had the same feelings as the poster above.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This will be my 3rd ram in a row. I'm not brand loyal at all. I've owned them all over the years, but I like the way I fit in them... and they have been good to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My first domestic purchase since 1989. I've had some company trucks over the years but never a Dodge. My entire life I've wanted a truck but the situation wasn't right, heavy commuting etc. I've always wanted a Toyota Hilux, not the Tacoma they sell today, the previous generation (or the current international version). The current gen. Tacoma is only 4" shorter in a crew cab than some of the full size CCs on the market and get's worse mileage than a number of the full-size trucks so it was scratched off the list. So I moved on to full-size options. I really wanted a Toyota or Nissan but both have pretty old designs, no premium front bench option, and get lousy fuel economy. I then went on to the 2014 GMC, but the whole 'hearbeat of central america' thing turned me off, my recently traded vehicle was Mexican and is always in the shop. I did go and drive the GMC, it was horrible, felt like a jacked up '76 caddy, it made some uncomfortable clunking sounds, drove REALLY big, and was gutless and averaged around 12 mpg during my test drive. I then went and looked at the Rams and I was impressed. What an improvement over even 5-6 years ago. It was all about the diesel, but I drove the Pentastars with the 8 speed and just couldn't believe it, so much nicer than the GMC with the 5.3. I knew right then that this was the truck for me, it just felt right.

I actually tried to order a diesel on 3 occaisions but ultimately the gas v6 suits my needs much better so that's what I finally closed on after 6 weeks going back and forth from dealers.

So the diesel made me look, and they still won me over and got a new customer even without it.

Here's hoping it treats me good, I've had a string of lemons and it's time for something decent!

·
Registered
127 Posts
3rd consecutive Ram on order, its built waiting for the delivery fairy to drop it off...

·
Registered
273 Posts
"RED" you make a very good point about not including Toyota as an selection option. One can also make a point that the Nissan Titan warrants consideration too. I've asked to add both to the poll. These five brands account for 90.1% of all "light pickup truck" sales for the first three months of the year. This should be sufficient for our purposes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sold my 2008 Duramax for this truck. Had a 2004 Duramax before that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First truck buyer. Always told myself when someone finally makes a truck with a luxurious interior and fuel economy that doesn't suck I'd buy one. Ram stepped up to the plate and I gladly ordered one.
I am also a first time truck buyer for almost the same reasons you state. The quality of the Ram 1500 Laramie surpassed by prior prejudices towards Chrysler and Dodge. The VM Motori EcoDiesel sealed my decision to buy after I test drove and read the reviews of others on this forum and several other articles from people who know more than I do.

In some cases that may be true, although why do we care if they owned a pickup in the past? Confusing, too, because some people own multiple trucks of different brands. More interesting to know what they are replacing now, if anything, and why. Good polls are difficult to design.
Bigfoot, you are correct by saying that good polls are difficult to construct. And, yes you could be in more than one category - just trying to get the "best" current status pick from everyone using their own judgement. This very non-scientific one was suggested because it occurred to me as I read the various threads on this forum and those of other forums that many of the people buying the 1500 EcoDiesel are former Ram owners or other pickup truck brands. I wondered if this was true acros the board and whether a new light duty pickup truck as good as the 1500 EcoDiesel was causing non-truck owners to make the switch and if the truck owners were switching brands as well. While not scientific, the early results (as of now) are interesting with 14/33 = 42% being current or former Ram owners and 15/33 = 45% other truck brands with 4/33 = 12% "new to pickup truck" ownership. Adding two more options for Toyota and Nissan may have more impact on the migration to Ram from other brands or converts entirely.

In my case I have owned 2 pickups previously but they are not on the list. Our current vehicle is an SUV so I checked that selection but the poll still shows "0" after SUV. :confused:
I too am trading in our SUV for the Ram 1500 ED and have never owned a pickup. Hopefully the poll option works (try clicking again?)

Always viewed Chrysler as inferior product. Becoming disolutioned with vastly over exaggerated EPA estimate on my 2013 Sierra & intro of the new ed intrigued me. Ate a little crow & went for a test drive in a longhorn dealer demo & was awed by the overall look & feel of quality. The ride & drive we're almost luxury car level. When I got back in my gmc, it felt like an old farm truck by comparison. Took a beating trading in a less than 1 year old truck but I had to have the new ram. Placed an order before the end of that week.
I started in the same place you did with swearing that I would "never buy a Dodge again" after my 6 year experience with a family Grand Caravan in the late 1990s/early 2000s. We currently own an Acura MDX (third Acura in 12 years) and Subaru Impreza as well.

Ialso recently test drove a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali as part of my comparison and thought it was an very good truck for my needs/wants. Then I test drove the Ram 1500 Laramie Limited ED and made the decision to buy one before I got out of the vehicle. It was simply a better ride to my senses and the VM Motori diesel sealed it.

I truly appreciate everyone's comments. Sharing you personal experiences, observations and opinions about these vehicles and accessories is what makes each of us more educated and smarter consumers. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts