RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a number of you, one of my few dislikes with the new Laramie that is supposed to be delivered next week (7 weeks from order to delivery!) is that it comes with passenger-series tires. Really? As a whitewater boater, I tow a trailer while driving some pretty nasty back-country roads in the western U.S. that eat passenger-series tires for lunch (not to mention breakfast, dinner, and a before-bedtime snack!). If you are doing so, what types of tires are you buying to replace the passenger-series tires? Prefer not to be spending $300+/tire on Load Range E Michelin M&S tires as I did for my soon-to-be-retired F250 Lariat (of course, I never had a tire failure on those tires!).

Also, anyone know if a full-sized tire/rim will fit within the spare tire compartment under the truck? The temporary spare is all but useless when you are in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks...

Bill
(Buying my first non-Ford Truck in over 25 years!)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll be upgrading to a 10 ply tire A/T. But will get some miles and use from the originals first.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i did take off the Goodyear Wranlger SRA's and 20" wheels for a 17" wheel and 265/70/17 - this go around i stuck with P rated however i did go to a higher load rating than the Goodyear Wranglers... i am not a huge fan of Goodyear but i am trying out their "Kevlar" line and so far, early impressions are favorable. they are the #1 rated on tirerack.com for that size. there are a couple of threads talking about LT tires and i do agree with the OP, anyone doing any real towing/hauling on a regular basis should make that switch a top priority.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like a number of you, one of my few dislikes with the new Laramie that is supposed to be delivered next week (7 weeks from order to delivery!) is that it comes with passenger-series tires. Really? As a whitewater boater, I tow a trailer while driving some pretty nasty back-country roads in the western U.S. that eat passenger-series tires for lunch (not to mention breakfast, dinner, and a before-bedtime snack!). If you are doing so, what types of tires are you buying to replace the passenger-series tires? Prefer not to be spending $300+/tire on Load Range E Michelin M&S tires as I did for my soon-to-be-retired F250 Lariat (of course, I never had a tire failure on those tires!).

Also, anyone know if a full-sized tire/rim will fit within the spare tire compartment under the truck? The temporary spare is all but useless when you are in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks...

Bill
(Buying my first non-Ford Truck in over 25 years!)
Ok, So P rated tires are cheaper and will get better fuel mileage so Dodge / ford/ gm all put them on half ton trucks so they can show how good they are on fuel. If you drive on gravel of anything other than pavement and dont care about loosing about 3mpg then you have a few options. They now dont offer a Load range C tire anymore (least not that i can find) which is a great opt for a half ton that needs extra puncture resistance while not killing your fuel mileage. A P rated tire is about 34-39 lbs a tire and a load range E tire is about 52-58 lbs a tire and it takes fuel to spin them.

So, I am going to try the P rated Goodyear Silent armor with kevlar. They weigh about 42 lbs and are "supposed" to be good for puncture resistance while hopefully not loosing much on the MPG. We shall see.

As to the Goodyear duratracks; they are a great tire and I have them in load Range E on my 2011 F150 4x4 ecoboost. Pre the duratracks with the stock ford P tires on the hiway I would average about 23-24 mpg, after I put on the duratracks i now can only manage 19 mpg. But on a good note the duratracks have about 35,000 miles on them and they are not even close to 50% they still have about 80% tread left. I also have them on my FD expedition, it had P tires on it. Mileage went from 18 down to 15 on average (we track the mileage and fuel use on each vehicle and I have ran these tires for over 2 years) Never been stuck in bad snow, I used to get studded tires but with these I haven't gotten them or needed them and they are still in great shape i also have about 75% tread left with over 30,000 miles on all types of gravel, dirt, lava rock, and snow and very lil actual highway driving and still have never had a flat. The Fire dept rig has load range D tires (same layers of protection on the tread face but 2 less layers on the sidewall than the E range).

No matter what, if you get anything other than the P tires your gunna pony up at least $800 including instal or shipping if ya go with tire rack or the similar.

Got my Silent armor from local goodyear dealer that will be a lil bigger than stock at 285/70/17 installed and balanced for a quoted price of $907

·
Registered
24 Posts
I changed mine to the Michelin LTX M/S 2's. Had them on my last Ram and they were outstanding. Quieter , stronger sidewall and longer tread life not to mention great in snow.;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
So is there a decent compromise tire? I'll need greater load capacity than the P tires offer but really don't want to take a huge mpg hit. I don't need anything for off-road or inclimint weather. All highway for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. ... great tire, have had multiple sets on my old truck and loved them. Going to try the wrangler adventure with Kevlar next, suppose to replace the silent armor.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Copy that...Michelin LTX M/S 2's when these are done.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Had those mich's on my hemi, went through 2 sets on the old girl.... great great tires, quiet and smooth! only took a half OZ of weight to balence from new, now that's a good tire!

·
Registered
214 Posts
There's a whole section on wheels and tires to read about tires. I say Nittos, if you go 10 ply you will get what you pay for. I like them so much I'm afraid to get stuck 2-3 years with tires I hate. That's why I changed mine on the way home.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm really pleased with the Nitto Dura Grapplers I have on my current truck and probably use the same tire for the next truck (whenever that might be).

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,885 Posts
So is there a decent compromise tire? I'll need greater load capacity than the P tires offer but really don't want to take a huge mpg hit. I don't need anything for off-road or inclimint weather. All highway for me.
If you HAVE to have LT tires-
You could go with a Nitto Dura Grappler LT275/60R20 LRE It is a highway tire. It would give you over #6,000 of capacity per axle. Way more reserve capacity than you'll need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts