RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a tradesman soon and I can save almost 300 off invoice if I delete it. Is it worth the money? Are after market ones better?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I opted out of the spray in liner and got a drop in. I haul implements for my farm tractor and other heavy stuff. I found that the bed liners give a bit of cushion and helps preventing the steel bed from denting.

If you are concerned about the bed liner wearing off the paint in the floor of bed, install a Weather Tech floor liner first, or leave the spray in and install a drop in on top.

Dealer had drop in liners on sale last month for $175 installed. I went with Rugged Liner. Made in Michigan. At some point I will install The Weather Tech liner underneath. They are about $250. Didn't do it now because I had other things to purchase for the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm at work so I can't look up the video but they put spray on bed liner on a brick wall and threw a grenade at it and they did the same to one without the bed liner. The one with the spray on bed liner held up much better. I would go with the spray on bed liner.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the spray in from factory. I like it because I feel rust will not form under it and it is grippy. Things don't slid around. On the other hand I am scared to drop rocks in the bed because it will dent the metal. Drop in liners prevent the dents but rust can form under them. Really there are pros and cons to both. Not sure this post helps at all. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what you guys are telling me is I should get the factory liner with a linex sprayed on top, then covering both with a drop in liner. Maybe a rhino on top of the drop in for good measure. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
The factory spray in liner does not need linex sprayed over it. If you get the factory spray in and want more protection put a drop in liner on top of factory spray in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought the factory spray in is LineX. I am having mine done aftermarket. Same price but the guy does a thicker covering and gives lifetime warranty. He has done my last two trucks and did a great job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I was kidding. But the invoice cost on the factory liner is $276. Can I get an equal quality aftermarket for that price?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Factory liner is done on the assembly line. Might be linex product but not sure. If you find a truck on the lot with no liner and you work a deal with the dealer to include it in sale they do send it to lineX. I have heard that it is thicker if lineX does it but I don't thinks so. Mine is factory and a friend of mine had to be sprayed at lineX before he took delivery. We have compared them side by side and they are the same thickness. They are sprayed by hand at lineX so depending on the guy spraying it, one will be a little different from the next.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The bed liner is not sprayed in on the assembly line it is done at the body vender. same place the running boards and bed cover is installed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Never had a spray in liner, I put the rubber pad on the floor then add rail and tailgate top cover. I like to see the color of the bed. I remove twice a year for cleaning and rust check.

A few years ago added the horse pad for the floor.
My trucks are not abused, I have a trailer for rough stuff.

Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been pro under rail bed liner forever even with the current Ram offered spray in option. First question you have to ask yourself what are you going to put in the bed. Mulch, firewood, deer blood ect I vote for the easy sweep put and rise out the plastic offers you. A buddy has a 2013 Ram with spray in bed liner, kind of a pain to clean the aforementioned items. I am awaiting my 2014 with the spray in delete option, used the savings to have local aftermarket guy put the under rail bed liner in for $219.00 plus government assessment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My uses vary from 4wheeler/dirtbike in the back to various home project materials...firewood...sandbags in the winter for traction (way cheaper than 4x4)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going with the spray in liner from the factory and adding a horse mat for some shock resistance (5x7x1/2") I'll cut to fit myself. The mat is from Tractor supply $40 bucks on sale. I find the plastic liners warp in hot weather.

Reactions: Jason

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have had both.... spray in is definately the way to go!! Hauled firewood and dead moose/bear/deer back there in my old truck with the spray in no problems with clean up...little water and some pressure all gone. If you want it spotless you can give it a little brush while water is being put on it...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If weight matters to you, the spray-in bedliner weighs 32 lbs compared to the under rail box bedliner which is 46 lbs. Those pounds add up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your really gonna use the bed a good hot sprayed liner adds alot of strength to the thinner metal in these new trucks. In my opinion the best mat out there is made by Koneta rubber, nice and thick and wont blow out. Just dont roll one in out of a can!!! Lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Line X xtra. Guaranteed for life to not chip, peel or fade if it does they fix it for free. Looks like just sprayed every time you wash it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts