RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_3897.JPG

This charging port shuts down each time you turn the key off but the thing that bugs me is that it does not turn back on (even though the key is turned back on) until you unplug the cable and plug it back in! :mad:

WHY! WHY! WHY!

LoL! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
View attachment 14227

This charging port shuts down each time you turn the key off but the thing that bugs me is that it does not turn back on (even though the key is turned back on) until you unplug the cable and plug it back in! :mad:

WHY! WHY! WHY!

LoL! :rolleyes:
That is actually not a charging port, but for a USB memory stick, or even hard drive, for playing music on your radio. It will charge your phone. It shuts off when the radio shuts off.

EDIT: I am not sure if you are pointing to the USB port on the left or, as on mine, the cigarette lighter plug on the right. On mine, as Crash stated, the cigarette lighter plug can be changed from KEY to Always on.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
The 12V outlet on the back of the center console can be changed so it stays on all the time, regardless of key position.
Change the fuse under the hood F91 to F90
Plug your charger in there

·
Registered
98 Posts
The picture actually shows he had his phone plugged into the usb charging port and not the radio usb port.

I changed my usb charging port out for a dual port instead of a single. It stays on at all times even without the key.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Mine is different. I got the 40/20/40 seats.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The picture actually shows he had his phone plugged into the usb charging port and not the radio usb port.

I changed my usb charging port out for a dual port instead of a single. It stays on at all times even without the key.

Care to share what you used and a high level description of how?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
I bought several of those adapters and use them in various cigar/cigarette lighter sockets as necessary.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with OP. I stumped the dealership with the issue. They changed the plug and it still does it. Piece of crap. Guess I will look that that double usb as a solution

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 12V outlet on the back of the center console can be changed so it stays on all the time, regardless of key position.
Change the fuse under the hood F91 to F90
Plug your charger in there
So pull fuse F91 and insert that fuse into F90?
Having a port available for use with key off is almost a must have for camping trips to keep the phones charged

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
So pull fuse F91 and insert that fuse into F90?
It usually comes from the factory set for switched with the ignition. It is a two position fuse holder, check the power outlet if it is powered with the truck off, flip the fuse to the other terminals if there is no 12V

·
Registered
191 Posts
It usually comes from the factory set for switched with the ignition. It is a two position fuse holder, check the power outlet if it is powered with the truck off, flip the fuse to the other terminals if there is no 12V
Is it only the 12V on the back of the centre console or does it also change the one by the cup holders? I use the cup holder one vs that crap one that always shuts off inside the console, and it's set to power with the key only... And the usb for the radio has a stick loaded with music on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
Is it only the 12V on the back of the centre console or does it also change the one by the cup holders?
That is correct, pretty goofy to only switch the one behind the front seat to constant power. I have thought of adding a second one in the center console wired in parallel to the one in back.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
So for those that have used the 2 port USB socket (link below), can the internal light be disabled? I go for periods where I don't drive my truck, and although the current draw is probably small, I don't want to add any additional load on the battery while the truck sits.

Dual USB Car Cigarette Lighter Socket 12V Charger Power Adapter Outlet Free Ship 3545947 2016 ? $9.99
That's the one I have installed. I didn't see a way to disable it. I wasn't really looking either.

I've left my truck for a week unattended and it was fine upon my return.

For those that want to do the install of this exact model, just an fyi. The threads are just slightly bigger than the original hole. This allows you to simply twist the dual outlet into the hole and it will hold perfectly with the threads. No need to cut or drill anything. I'd venture to say it holds better than the stock outlet which can be pried out with a screw driver.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Madpuma...thanks for the note. I should have thought this through a little more before asking the question. I forgot that USB chargers themselves draw current. The charger is basically taking 12v in and providing 5v out for the USB connection. The single USB charger that RAM installed would be drawing a small amount of current any time its enabled, which would be constant since the USB charging port is active even with the key off. The LED should be a non-issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts