RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I pull a 6000 lb GVWR travel trailer to Florida and Wisconsin every season and searched many months for the right tow vehicle. Had to be a diesel for low rpm torque and pulling ability at low (relaxing) rpm. The HD pickups were too big, tall and truck like. Finally bought a 2 year old MB ML320 cdi SUV in 2009. It easily pulls my trailer while returning between 14 and 18 mpg (actual measured) with the cruise set at 60 on interstates even in the mountains. I love the turbo diesel with the 7 speed auto but have had lots of electrical glitches and problems. Very interested in the Ram Diesel, future 5 cyl Colorado diesel, Ford Transit 5 cyl diesel van and hopefully others. next......maybe a hybrid diesel electric!!! Happy the government pushed these guys to vastly improve fuel mileage!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a small Tow Vehicle (TV) myself, and looking for at the Ram 1500 because 3/4 tons are too big for me at this time. Hope the Ram is what you may be looking for!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don you made a good point..... the economy is negated here in Pennsylvania to a large degree because the cost differential between diesel and gasoline can vary but last week when I looked at one place diesel was .70 cents a gallon higher than gas.

Like you, I want a diesel because of the charateristics... economy is part of that, but low RPM torque is a benefit. Have a pal who had a 2012 Mercedes SUV diesel, and the motor blew with 15,000 miles.... Mercedes gave the guy major grief, but ultimately replaced the motor... His story was a bad one.... I would not buy a benz after that, or a BMW or VW for that matter and I owned 2 VW TDIs... would never buy one again, although I realize people drive them many miles problem free. The Ram with the 3.0 should be a good one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i own a vw touareg TDI 3.0 and a 2009 ram cummins 6.7. My Touareg pulls my trailer or boat, both around 6000 lbs as well or even better than the Ram. I get 11 MPG towing with the Ram and closer to 18 towing with the VW. Highway milage, which i do most of is around 30 MPG with the Touareg. If the new ram 1500 diesel does as well as my vw, i will seriously consider trading in the Ram 2500 as I really don't need that much of a truck. I would like to see the cummins 5.0 in a 2500 truck and give us the option over the diesel monster that they are putting in them now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
WV, I would expect at some point the Cummins 5.0 will be offered in a 3/4 ton platform. If you look at the HP and torque of the 5.0, that easily equals the HP and torque of the 3/4 ton motors of 8-10 years ago, plus the 5.0 should get better economy. Like you, I had 2 - 3/4 ton trucks, a 2008 Duramax, and a 2006 Ram 5.9 (great motor).. both trucks far exceeded what I would use a truck for, the Duramax rode very well, comfortable, the 5.9 pulled harder, but was a very rough ride with the solid front axle... we are not pulling anything heavy, did not buy the big camper we talked about... so the half ton should be fine... I do not think I would buy the Titan..... see what happens, Ram will get a good close look from me and the wife. (actually me !) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts