RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

ATTENTION - GDE tranny tune users BEFORE you get the AEM UPDATE!!!

10K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  3DHawkeye 
#1 ·
Just had my AEM update completed today. Not only does the dealer flash the ECU, they also flash the transmission! If you have a GDE tranny tune you must reinstall your original tune. If not, you will be in the same boat as me; having to pay full price for another flash device and tune! Learn from my mistake!

#3 ·
I work at a dealership and have taken the training course and done a few of these recall. There are 2 loop holes in the recall except in California. 1) you can refuse the recall. But you will not receive any of the settlement or the extended warranty. Except California. California will not allow you the register your vehicle again until recall has been done. 2) the dealership can refuse to do the recall if they visually see the vehicle emissions has been removed, tampered with. Also if the ecm or trans flashes fail and it has be determined that it has an aftermarket flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'll add this info since this has the potential to be a good informative thread for GDE customers with the trans tune. Trans tune customers should have received an email from GDE with the following instructions:

As many of you might be aware, FCA’s Approved Emissions Modification campaign for these vehicles is under way. This update action will install new engine and transmission software to your vehicle.

Some customers might already have embarked upon this update adventure already before this note was received.

If you have our GDE flash tool used to deploy the trans tune to your vehicle, it is highly suggested to perform the following steps before you go to the dealer to have the AEM update performed:

Connect the tool to your vehicle, enter the Tuning menu, and write the ORIGINAL (stock) file back into the transmission
Once the transmission is flashed back to stock, connect the tool to your PC and open the console software used to communicate with it.
Select “Erase Data” on the left side menu, then click START in the main window. Follow all prompts to complete the process of clearing the tool.

With the tool cleared out, you will now be able to make a read of the new software installed by the dealer and submit to us for re-building.

If the above steps are not followed and the dealer updates your transmission while the tune was still installed, the tool will be locked and the only recovery is to purchase a new tool.

#11 ·
I appreciate your post, Bounty. I did not receive an email from GDE (and I'm not upset about that - I'd rather they invest their time poring over the AEM code than worry about emailing me) but I've stored your post in my Ram notes in preparation for the AEM update.

I've been going back and forth with getting the update and depositing a check vs waiting a couple of months and doing the update and a quick turnaround with the refreshed GDE tune. We have a bunch of camping trips planned for this summer and I like the turbo brake and tranny tune too much to not have them when pulling the trailer. But cash is very attractive... ;)

Thanks again for your post.

Bob

#10 ·
I have an ecm with current gde tune version on its way. I have a lot of towing and hauling to do starting next week and dont want to spend the
Whole summer camping season towing and hauling without a tune. Ill pay the extra $50 bucks for an upgrade later if i feel i need to.
Could you have waited until later to have the AEM installed?

Reactions: 97hmcs
#13 ·
I got the email AFTER I called GDE about my problem. They said my box was now a brick, so I repurchased the tune. They apparently remembered me after the purchase, and refunded me all but the cost for a new flash box. So thankful! Getting the tune reinstalled was a no-brainer. The tranny tune along with the engine tune has really transformed my ecodiesel. Best thing I could have done for my truck short of removing all the environmental crap.

#14 ·
Has GDE updated or improved the transmission tune now that AEM has came out?

I ask because I already have GDE trans tune file thats about a year old.

#16 ·
Night and day difference. For me, the trans tune was a more noticeable improvement than the hot tune was over the stock tune. Really wakes up the lazy transmission and makes the truck fun to drive. Highly recommend.

The trans tune really shines when towing.

#18 ·
My problems just keep growing. Got a call from the dealership stating the new AEM tune was not complete, and they need to hook back up to my truck to pull some data? I can only imagine that it is some type of confirmation that the tune was complete. All this after I have purchased another GDE tune and installed the ECU. Told the dealership not to flash anything until they talk to me. Waiting in the lounge now for the news[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I'm not sure why you would have to buy a new flash device? I went up to GDE (live 58 miles from them, poor Keith ;) ) and when they reinstalled the trans tune he asked if I wanted to buy the flash tool. He told me I would never need to buy the tool again and any updates would come via email that I could download onto the flash tool easy pleasy. You should have gotten the tool and two cables. One plugs the tool into the truck the other plugs into you computer. Note that these tunes are linked to your truck via the Vin number and can only be used on the truck it is tide to! Call GDE up and find out for yourself.

#29 ·
I'm not sure why you would have to buy a new flash device?
GDE has said that if you don't use the programmer to load the stock trans tune back to the truck before the trans tune is overwritten, you will brick the programmer.

It's likely the same programming that doesn't allow you to use the programmer on more than one truck. Should you hook the programmer up without following GDE's instructions, the programmer does not recognize the truck post-AEM.

#31 ·
The snapshot is not of the flash count its of the complete tune on both the ecm and the tcm, the recall also pays more than $52 to the dealership. But yes the technician is required to submit a before and after copy of the programing on both the ecm and tcm to prove to the epa that the recall was performed on the vehicle. They also need to complete a regen as well before the final upload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.