Discussion Starter #21
Don't really know what they're doing. Waiting to hear from the mechanic

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Don't really know what they're doing. Waiting to hear from the mechanic

I wonder if it's just the transmission (TCM) portion of the update that didn't take? In either case the updates are installed via the OBD2 port.

Anxiously awaiting to hear what they find. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I hope its not the transmission. Told em not to touch it if it was. Gotta put my old tune back in first so it doesn't brick another tuner!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, they didn't touch the ecu or tranny tune! Weight off my shoulders! Said the mech. had to take picture before and after the AEM update? Don't know what that means, just glad they didn't screw with the tune!

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Well, they didn't touch the ecu or tranny tune! Weight off my shoulders! Said the mech. had to take picture before and after the AEM update? Don't know what that means, just glad they didn't screw with the tune!

GREAT news.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Just had my AEM update completed today. Not only does the dealer flash the ECU, they also flash the transmission! If you have a GDE tranny tune you must reinstall your original tune. If not, you will be in the same boat as me; having to pay full price for another flash device and tune! Learn from my mistake!
I'm not sure why you would have to buy a new flash device? I went up to GDE (live 58 miles from them, poor Keith ;) ) and when they reinstalled the trans tune he asked if I wanted to buy the flash tool. He told me I would never need to buy the tool again and any updates would come via email that I could download onto the flash tool easy pleasy. You should have gotten the tool and two cables. One plugs the tool into the truck the other plugs into you computer. Note that these tunes are linked to your truck via the Vin number and can only be used on the truck it is tide to! Call GDE up and find out for yourself.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Sorry but they had to flash your truck. How this all works is the dealer takes a snapshot of the tune number that is presently on your trucks ECM. Then they flash the truck and take a snapshot of the AEM tune number on your ECM showing that the truck was indeed flashed. They then fill out a EPA sticker affix it to the underside of the hood and take a picture of it showing the sticker is in fact on the truck. This is all sent to FCA and than the EPA so you can get paid.

Any deviation will result in the dealer not getting paid their $52 from FCA and you not getting your money until it is done right. The dealer could also face a fine from the EPA if the EPA thinks they affixed that sticker but did not do the tune! This is a huge fine and could also cost the dealership their franchise. So do you really think the dealer didn't flash your truck? Think again.

Oh and by the way FCA knows what trucks are tuned and what tune ie. GDE, PPEI or whoever is one what truck. All of the tuner companies had to turn over their customer list to FCA under the EPA suit. That is why FCA/Ram can not void your warranty. This was a requirement under the law suit. Now can they come back later and try to do something? I don't know and personally I don't care. My truck was re-tuned four days after the AEM tune was installed.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I'm not sure why you would have to buy a new flash device?
GDE has said that if you don't use the programmer to load the stock trans tune back to the truck before the trans tune is overwritten, you will brick the programmer.

It's likely the same programming that doesn't allow you to use the programmer on more than one truck. Should you hook the programmer up without following GDE's instructions, the programmer does not recognize the truck post-AEM.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I didn't have the flash tool so I'm new to its use. Keith showed me how to reinstall the stock tune before taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The snapshot is not of the flash count its of the complete tune on both the ecm and the tcm, the recall also pays more than $52 to the dealership. But yes the technician is required to submit a before and after copy of the programing on both the ecm and tcm to prove to the epa that the recall was performed on the vehicle. They also need to complete a regen as well before the final upload.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Oh and by the way FCA knows what trucks are tuned and what tune ie. GDE, PPEI or whoever is one what truck. All of the tuner companies had to turn over their customer list to FCA under the EPA suit. That is why FCA/Ram can not void your warranty. This was a requirement under the law suit. Now can they come back later and try to do something? I don't know and personally I don't care. My truck was re-tuned four days after the AEM tune was installed.
Where did this information come from?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts