RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
-
I was stunned to learn that 4wd lock isn't lock. I watched the video of how the system works on ice. Then how it works with the true 4wd lock kit that brandon sell. I purchased that kit and installed it last week. When I need and want 4wd I need it to work. On ice or slick snow surface I want all tires to be applying force. Instead the system allows for the back to slip, loose traction, then apply the clutch for the front.

·
Registered
189 Posts
-
I was stunned to learn that 4wd lock isn't lock. I watched the video of how the system works on ice. Then how it works with the true 4wd lock kit that brandon sell. I purchased that kit and installed it last week. When I need and want 4wd I need it to work. On ice or slick snow surface I want all tires to be applying force. Instead the system allows for the back to slip, loose traction, then apply the clutch for the front.
Have you been able to play with it yet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Negative Ghostrider...AWD means all weels are driving the vehicle all the time. 4X4 Auto engages the front axle when slippage in traction is detected in the rear wheels.

I don't think this is completely accurate. Modern day AWD vehicles are usually front wheel drive and only apply the rear wheels when the computer engages the transfer case automatically. Which typically happens on acceleration and when traction is needed, such as going uphill.
I own a Ford escape with AWD and it has an evic screen where it shows you when the rear wheels are engaged and when it's only front wheel drive. Most of the time when on the highway it is only the front wheels that are engaged.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks Tarheel...I stand corrected.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have you been able to play with it yet?
Not yet. We get snow about once a year. Doubt I will ever need the lock kit, but if I do need it I will truly need it.

If it does snow I will find a safe area to test it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The only true AWD vehicle I ever owned was a Torsen based Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited. 70/30 split I believe under most conditions with 50/50 under lock.

My Volvo XC60 is not bad either as it will transfer power to the rear without slip depending on throttle position.

Worst I have driven was a pump based Honda CRV that required significant wheel spin to transfer power. Also up there was a Pathfinder that had a dog clutch limited slip rear that would only work going forward. Reverse, one wheel peel.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
interesting. I doubt I will ever encounter a situation when I need the lock kit, but good information to have.
i noticed on the work truck I used to drive (2013 base 1500 4x4 4.7) that it would apply the breaks when we were traversing uneven, muddy terrain to improve traction. does the new gen ram do the same?
Sorry if this is getting off the original topic, but I'm wondering how the limited slip rear diff and BAS (or whatever the system that engages the brakes to assist with traction is called) work in 4x4 when off road

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is traction control which is usually always on. Traction control automatically turns off when you enter 4 Lo or you can also turn it off anytime by pushing the traction control button. It's the button that says off.
20200225_134105.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
ah yes...aka the 'tire killer' button in my Challenger lol I thought that was to prevent rear wheel spin only. didn't know it worked on the front wheels also (when in 4wd).
I had to use 4 low yesterday to back up my trailer (steep hill) and i noticed a ding along with a few lights that came on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can only turn it off fully in 4x4 not 2wheel. And when you go over 40 mph it automatically turns back on again. Om the challanger it's a different story. That's why us ram guys put a abs kill switch in these trucks so we can bypass all that crap.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I will add that I have the auto 4wd option. I used 4low in loose river gravel to pull heavier trucks that were stuck in river crossings. The front tires seemed to work and dig holes just fine. I'm installing Brandon's switch anyway. Less clutch slipping is better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will add that I have the auto 4wd option. I used 4low in loose river gravel to pull heavier trucks that were stuck in river crossings. The front tires seemed to work and dig holes just fine. I'm installing Brandon's switch anyway. Less clutch slipping is better.
Yes because your rear tires had decent traction the ball and cam ramped in and applied pressure to the clutch so it held well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would admit that if my truck spent a good portion of it's time offroad I would prefer a part-time TC.

I just don't understand why RAM didn't include an actual locking mechanism in the clutch. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would admit that if my truck spent a good portion of it's time offroad I would prefer a part-time TC.

I just don't understand why RAM didn't include an actual locking mechanism in the clutch. Best of both worlds.

Then it would have been a very good t case.
I find mine almost useless in the winter without Brandons switch as my driveway is quite steep and in wet snow it is easy to have problems.
Before I got the switch installed my PU would have problems and actually made me walk a couple of times a year, not nice.

In the rest of the year when the rear wheels get decent traction but 4wd is needed pulling a load out of a field onto a paved road this case works great,
were a conventional case would get some axle windup when the front got to the pavement and the rears were still in grass or gravel then having to fight to get it back into 2wd then going back into 4wd coming in the driveway and around the barns.

With the switch installed from Brandon this t case works well for me, I do believe that my clutches could be worn from the issues I had before getting the switch.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Then it would have been a very good t case.
I find mine almost useless in the winter without Brandons switch as my driveway is quite steep and in wet snow it is easy to have problems.
Before I got the switch installed my PU would have problems and actually made me walk a couple of times a year, not nice.

In the rest of the year when the rear wheels get decent traction but 4wd is needed pulling a load out of a field onto a paved road this case works great,
were a conventional case would get some axle windup when the front got to the pavement and the rears were still in grass or gravel then having to fight to get it back into 2wd then going back into 4wd coming in the driveway and around the barns.

With the switch installed from Brandon this t case works well for me, I do believe that my clutches could be worn from the issues I had before getting the switch.
I have an 800 ft extremely steep driveway and live in canada in a place where we get a ton of ice and snow. I run dedicated winters and have no issues with the truck's 4wd capability.

Most days it is in auto unless the ground is snow or ice covered. 4wd lock in those conditions. Had the truck for almost 4 years and only had 1 day I could not make it and to be honest, the conditions would have prevented anything short of having chains.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an 800 ft extremely steep driveway and live in canada in a place where we get a ton of ice and snow. I run dedicated winters and have no issues with the truck's 4wd capability.

Most days it is in auto unless the ground is snow or ice covered. 4wd lock in those conditions. Had the truck for almost 4 years and only had 1 day I could not make it and to be honest, the conditions would have prevented anything short of having chains.

Mine is a bit over 16 degrees or more then 28% and I run studded snow tires all winter.
When it has wet snow that packs down to ice or rain on top of packed snow this fancy RAM's t case is not up to the job.
With Brandons switch kit it is much better and almost as good as an old fashioned t case.
I use 4 loc even in the summer to reduce the wheel spin and slippage.
I'm in upstate New York and some years we get quite a bit of snow and ice.
Of all the trucks that I have had in the last 25+ years on this driveway this RAM is the worst one for giving problems
If this works its a video going down my driveway a couple of years ago ?

·
Registered
189 Posts

The funny thing with these rams is some of the t cases lock up right away without even a tire spin, it's rare as hell but there are a few. For the most of us the tires spin a few revolutions before it locks up and by the time it's locked were usually spun out and stuck, dodge screwed these things up. I never noticex issues with mine till I had trailers on the back trying to bash through snow drifts or when I was cutting trail in deep snow, the more extreme stuff. I'd always get the overheat warning and be a sitting duck locked out of 4x4 in the middle of nowhere waiting for it to cool so I could make it another 10 feet and have to wait again. I take my truck places most people wouldn't and this is how I came to find out about the t cases and then design a switch that locks them 100% positively. Honestly with daily driving and Alittle poo on the road you'd never even know you had the issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine is a bit over 16 degrees or more then 28% and I run studded snow tires all winter.
When it has wet snow that packs down to ice or rain on top of packed snow this fancy RAM's t case is not up to the job.
With Brandons switch kit it is much better and almost as good as an old fashioned t case.
I use 4 loc even in the summer to reduce the wheel spin and slippage.
I'm in upstate New York and some years we get quite a bit of snow and ice.
Of all the trucks that I have had in the last 25+ years on this driveway this RAM is the worst one for giving problems
If this works its a video going down my driveway a couple of years ago
Damn Lou that's a long driveway! No wonder you need a tractor lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
She has pulled a few things up the driveway also;
Usually I don't run the front chains, the rears are on from late fall to spring.
Branson chains.jpg

And then the spare/backup tractor;

The IH 574 traded the Oliver off when I got the Branson.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts