RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20140619_162427.jpg 20140619_162521.jpg was doing a headlight mode and had my grill off. I noticed on the bottom section of shutters there were two missing. The top half closes off completely the bottom has two shutters missing and then one shutter on the very bottom. The pictures are bad but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. Is this the way everyone's shutters are?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't think it is fully blocked by shutters so that might be right, but I'm definitely interested to see what others find on their trucks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes that's correct. Our shutter system has missing flaps on the bottom portion. I believe the reasoning behind this is the cooling of all the radiators directly in front of that area. You have the transmission cooler, HVAC rad, engine rad.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spang86, thanks for the info. I figured all was good but thought it was worth asking.
FP3, I'm too cheap to buy HID lights so I came across thus thread: H11 headlight conversion - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum
I replaced the stock 9005 high beams with 9011 bulbs and the stock H11 switch to H9. I then took the 9005 bulbs and put them in my fogs. You modify the bulb sockets not the socket on the truck so you can always switch back. Mild mod but definitely better than stock. I bought the bulbs on Amazon. I think I have $25 wrapped up into it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
This was the rendering in the 2013 model year, pretty sure they are still the same. Close the upper half and leave the bottom open for air flow. Need airflow over that air conditioner condenser for it to work.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i dont have the bottom flaps either....i asked the dealer about it, they said thats the way its supposed to be

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Good cut-a-way drawing. Never knew that. Looked and did not even see other radiators for oil, air conditioning and whatever. Must be some kind of "all-in-one radiator housing.

·
Registered
391 Posts
odds are that they are also missing since it is a turbo diesel and has an intercooler. It has to have air flow to help cool the air going into the motor. Also, now you are introducing another heat source in front of the motor. You now have a radiator, trans cooler, power steering cooler, a/c condenser and the intercooler blocking air flow to the motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts