RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to send out some emails today to get a price on the big horn. one dealer replied so far with a price that was too high $47,975 but also said there were no incentives for the diesels right now. I also called Chrysler incentives umber (1-800-227-0757) to see what was eligible for. they told me all I'm eligible for is $1,500 retailer cash back and $500 bonus cash. I guess that is a little disappointing since I have been reading people getting anywhere from $3,000-$5,000
I need to text everyone I know to find a friend that works for Chrysler to get friends and family. or some how find another 1k-2k in rebates.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I decided to send out some emails today to get a price on the big horn. one dealer replied so far with a price that was too high $47,975 but also said there were no incentives for the diesels right now. I also called Chrysler incentives umber (1-800-227-0757) to see what was eligible for. they told me all I'm eligible for is $1,500 retailer cash back and $500 bonus cash. I guess that is a little disappointing since I have been reading people getting anywhere from $3,000-$5,000
I need to text everyone I know to find a friend that works for Chrysler to get friends and family. or some how find another 1k-2k in rebates.
You need to word your questions better and direct them at the right people. The term "incentives" typically refers to the money given by the manufacturer to the dealers to use in the bargaining process. If you call a manufacturer directly, you'll be offered the least of what's available because they want you to go to the actual dealership. If the dealer is telling you no rebates, there is often a "dry" time of year with minimal rebates and this could be that time. It's really not a perfect science as individual high-performing dealerships can afford to sell for less if they expect a juicy performance bonus for the dealership to make up their losses

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
So what the heck is "retailer cash back" and "bonus cash"?

If you pay cash does the manufacturer give you cash back? How do you get the bonus?

I already have a price guideline with the dealer. Exact figures will not come to play until the exact figures are in with the delivery. Surely the dealer is not going to give me more off it it's coming out of their pocket. Now if the factory is offering me something that does not affect the dealer profit then that's another story.

How does this factory incentive thing work?

·
Registered
366 Posts
So what the heck is "retailer cash back" and "bonus cash"?

If you pay cash does the manufacturer give you cash back? How do you get the bonus?

I already have a price guideline with the dealer. Exact figures will not come to play until the exact figures are in with the delivery. Surely the dealer is not going to give me more off it it's coming out of their pocket. Now if the factory is offering me something that does not affect the dealer profit then that's another story.

How does this factory incentive thing work?
Are you being sincere?? It's all the same damn thing. Money off that the factory provides TO THE DEALER NOT TO YOU, in order for the dealer to entice you. They have dozens of names for the same damn thing. The only difference is the individual criteria for the discount. Calling a manufacturer and asking their best price for something you HAVE TO buy from a dealer is like calling up Nike and asking if they can give you a better deal than Footlocker on one pair of shoes. They will either laugh and tell you to ask the retailer or they will quote you full retail. I'm not even sure why you'd try that.
Example:
$1500 holiday "bonus cash"
$8500 "consumer cash"
Both are "factory rebates" which are given TO THE DEALER in order to lower the price for the customer. It's all the same thing, it's just that the different parts of it may come and go at different intervals or have different qualifying limitations. A discount is a discount. It might as well say $10,000 off but its more strategic to break up discounts into chunks so that they can be added or not added as needed during negotiations(because some people can be talked into paying full retail).

NOW, as for the comment where "surely the dealer won't sell me so low it comes out of pocket"...For easily the 5th time on these forums...THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SOME DEALERS DO!!! Explanation:

A typical performance bonus for a dealership is in the MILLIONS when they win top sales for a month. Let's call it One million for the sake of arguement. Say the dealer loses $3,000 on 20 trucks but wins the monthly performance because they sold 100 vehicles. All 100 vehicles will have potential to add some accessories in the parts department. That helps make up the difference. Then the service department will likely get a few more of those 100 vehicles for their various checkups and mishaps. THEN ON TOP OF THAT they get $1M dollar performance bonus and they only paid $60,000? That's what you call a sound business decision my friend. They could discount all 100 cars by $1,000 below profit and STILL make 900K profit, at the most modest of estimates. Because they NEVER have to discount ALL their cars they can take it on the chin for a few in order to pad their monthly sales figures. NOT TO MENTION HOW MANY TRADE-INS THEY FLIP FOR PROFIT!!! Dealerships work on months and quarters not on individual deals.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Like everything else in this buying experience the incentives are very confusing. I got different answers from dealers and from the Chrysler Incentives Program. My dealer said that Chrysler customer service did not always know the facts, and Chrysler said the same thing about the dealers. Right. :rolleyes:

My best case for now is $3500 but that could change. Chrysler told me to call them again just before delivery with the final VIN and they will clarify the incentives. I should be able to take whichever incentives are better: at time of order or at time of delivery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the advice from others, on this forum and other forums, call Chrysler Incentives service to make sure they were not missing out on any incentive that where regional. I don't think it hurt to call. the lady was very friendly (did not laugh in my face) and looked up different incentives based on builds and trim levels and also region. what is wrong with calling Nike to see if they have a $50 coupon at footlocker?

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Interesting and I AM sincere. Had no clue how that worked. Now I am guessing I will get NOTHING.

My order was to pay invoice and no dealer fee. We had no discussion about incentives because I thought that was something the factory added if and when something was available at delivery. Since these incentives are factory sponsored but controlled by the dealer, my assumption is now the dealer will want to keep them, if any.

I have no leverage. It's not that I can threaten to cancel the order with out incentives. The order is in. I can take the truck when it comes in or walk and maybe lose my deposit plus create bad karma. Sounds like you must have a deal on incentives BEFORE ordering.

Another thing I learned is there is a humongous profit margin on each vehicle. No wonder the factories and dealers are so obviously affluent.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interesting and I AM sincere. Had no clue how that worked. Now I am guessing I will get NOTHING.

My order was to pay invoice and no dealer fee. We had no discussion about incentives because I thought that was something the factory added if and when something was available at delivery. Since these incentives are factory sponsored but controlled by the dealer, my assumption is now the dealer will want to keep them, if any.

I have no leverage. It's not that I can threaten to cancel the order with out incentives. The order is in. I can take the truck when it comes in or walk and maybe lose my deposit plus create bad karma. Sounds like you must have a deal on incentives BEFORE ordering.

Another thing I learned is there is a humongous profit margin on each vehicle. No wonder the factories and dealers are so obviously affluent.
Dealers are stingy but not THAT bad. You can still negotiate as chances are the bill of sale will need to be re-drafted when the truck actually shows up. its not over yet buddy!

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Appreciate the advice. I'm pretty stupid on some of these "business" things. Not remotely afraid to ask and I can even walk if need be.

As I see it when the truck comes in and is sitting there, I'm done. The dealer would probably want me to walk so they can sell it to someone else at a greater profit. They would have only a negative incentive to allow me a greater discount if that discount came out of their profit.

Oh well - I'm contented but surely will both ask and check on what is available then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My best case for now is $3500 but that could change. Chrysler told me to call them again just before delivery with the final VIN and they will clarify the incentives. I should be able to take whichever incentives are better: at time of order or at time of delivery.
I just received an email from a dealer in my area of southern WI and he states the following:

All Ram Truck Rebates are set up on a month to month basis. The Rebates that we have this month will not carry over 6-8 weeks with an order out vehicle. So with that being said I would like to arrange a time for you to come sit down with me and make sure we have the right truck in order to save you the most money Now!

So is he spewing BS or not? I'm negotiating a non-diesel Ram. I'm also thinking, "Yeah, I'm sure he'd like to get me to sit at his desk Now! and work his BS in person."

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just received an email from a dealer in my area of southern WI and he states the following:

All Ram Truck Rebates are set up on a month to month basis. The Rebates that we have this month will not carry over 6-8 weeks with an order out vehicle. So with that being said I would like to arrange a time for you to come sit down with me and make sure we have the right truck in order to save you the most money Now!

So is he spewing BS or not? I'm negotiating a non-diesel Ram. I'm also thinking, "Yeah, I'm sure he'd like to get me to sit at his desk Now! and work his BS in person."
Nope... that's about right. If the dealer can get a VIN, they can do the paperwork, and lock in the rebates... even if the truck doesn't show up for 6 more weeks. But... if you are waiting to see what they get, then this moths deals will drop off on 3-3-2014.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts