RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a slight vibration at low speed which eventually became a more pronounced vibration at low speed... honestly I should have checked it out sooner, but I just assumed it was tire balance related. Anyways it turns out I have quite a lot of slop where the passengers inner CV connects to the front axle shaft. I'm hoping the shaft spines are still okay, but with the amount of slop and the CV housing being cast iron I'm guessing they shaft splines are damaged.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue with their truck... I only have 34k miles on my truck, so I'm surprised by this issue showing up so early. Makes me miss my solid axle 2010 3500!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
So I noticed a slight vibration at low speed which eventually became a more pronounced vibration at low speed... honestly I should have checked it out sooner, but I just assumed it was tire balance related. Anyways it turns out I have quite a lot of slop where the passengers inner CV connects to the front axle shaft. I'm hoping the shaft spines are still okay, but with the amount of slop and the CV housing being cast iron I'm guessing they shaft splines are damaged.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue with their truck... I only have 34k miles on my truck, so I'm surprised by this issue showing up so early. Makes me miss my solid axle 2010 3500!
has the suspension ever been modified/removed?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Connects to the hub out by the wheel or connects to the axle/differential side?

I haven't looked at mine on the ram, but I have replaced a few front axle shafts on GM trucks and they all bolt on to the axle end/front differential.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I only have 34k miles on my truck, so I'm surprised by this issue showing up so early. Makes me miss my solid axle 2010 3500!
If you have leveled the truck, it would not be surprising. In any case, I would take it for in for repair before it tears something up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well thanks for all the feedback. I'm surprised, because my CV angles are not severe at all, I don't need 4x4 often, nor do I abuse the truck. The drivers side is tight and right.

I haven't been a half ton guy partly for this reason (prefer solid front axles). From what I've read sounds like this is a common issue, and I've watched several you tube videos of trucks with far more slop than mine.

Looks like the CV shaft and Axle Stub will both need replaced to fix the problem. The shaft is pretty cheap, but I haven't found a price on the stub yet.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Well thanks for all the feedback. I'm surprised, because my CV angles are not severe at all, I don't need 4x4 often, nor do I abuse the truck. The drivers side is tight and right.

I haven't been a half ton guy partly for this reason (prefer solid front axles). From what I've read sounds like this is a common issue, and I've watched several you tube videos of trucks with far more slop than mine.

Looks like the CV shaft and Axle Stub will both need replaced to fix the problem. The shaft is pretty cheap, but I haven't found a price on the stub yet.
still doesnt address why it failed... kind of an odd thing to fail if the angles arent severe. done any offroading? wondering if you hyper extended on a rebound from a decent bump.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
With a 6" lift and 35's I'm not surprised.

I did some looking on the procedure to swap out the shaft, seems like a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm hoping to find the smoking gun when I take it apart... perhaps the CV shaft popped loose from the stub when I installed the lift, and I didn't realize it. From what I've read the stubs are removed with a slide hammer. Spring clip retains the Stub to the axle, and spring clip also retains the CV shaft to the Stub.

More to come...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting keep us posted. Everyone is acting like they are not surprised but I am. The lifts they make today doesn't change to many angels and are designed very well.

Reactions: RamMan

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Interesting keep us posted. Everyone is acting like they are not surprised but I am. The lifts they make today doesn't change to many angels and are designed very well.
Engineers design the truck to have a certain amount of compression and rebound clearance for the driveshafts and CVs/Axles. A lift will remove some of the rebound clearance. if you do nothing but highway driving, then it probably doesn't matter... once you start articulating you can easily run into problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brand new axle assy without CV shafts is $690... not horrible but if it happens again in 30k miles that's a problem.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Not a RAM, but my GMC 2500HD had nothing but problems after I leveled and put one size larger tires on 1" offset wheels at around 30K miles. First the wheel bearings went out at 60K miles, then the upper control arm joint and tie rod ends went. I repaired all of it and 30K miles later the upper control arm joints and tie rod ends went again. The alignment shop guy said "see you again in 30K miles. This was a lesson hard learned and the reason that I'm not touching the front end on my RAM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not a RAM, but my GMC 2500HD had nothing but problems after I leveled and put one size larger tires on 1" offset wheels at around 30K miles. First the wheel bearings went out at 60K miles, then the upper control arm joint and tie rod ends went. I repaired all of it and 30K miles later the upper control arm joints and tie rod ends went again. The alignment shop guy said "see you again in 30K miles. This was a lesson hard learned and the reason that I'm not touching the front end on my RAM.
I know several people that have went through this "learning".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Engineers design the truck to have a certain amount of compression and rebound clearance for the driveshafts and CVs/Axles. A lift will remove some of the rebound clearance. if you do nothing but highway driving, then it probably doesn't matter... once you start articulating you can easily run into problems.
. Not sure I understand how the lift would reduce rebound clearance. The entire front axle is moved down along with the lower arm mounting points, to maintain factory geometry?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had my passenger side half axle replaced by the dealer earlier this year but not for the problem you are having. I popped the joint out while swapping out a level kit and in a rush, I accidentally popped it. I popped the boot off and popped the joint back in then put it all back together. Drove it for a little while before having the dealer replace it with a new one, not because of it being bad which it could have been, but for piece of mind. I didn't ask the dealer if it was in fact bad, just took the hit to the wallet for my mistake because I was rushing and the part cost around what you were saying.

Question about your lift, did you install it? If you did the lift install then you most likely had everything apart that you would have to take apart to get the axle out so you shouldn't have any surprises. It is not hard to replace and I would have done it my myself but didn't have the time when they got the part in plus it was in for updates so I just had them do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got lucky on this one... the dealer replaced the CV shaft under warranty and said the axle splines were still fine. We talked about my mods and they were really cool about everything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts