RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put an order in last March to no avail and put the thought of getting an EcoDiesel to the back of my mind. I currently own a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. It seems like I'm constantly going back and forth on whether to reconsider the ED again or not. My needs-pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer to motorcycle tracks and back monthly to bi-monthly. Right now, the closest trek is about 2 hrs one way, others are up to 6 hours one way. I will be moving across the country in September which will include driving north from FL to PA, then from PA to CA with said trailer loaded with 2 bikes and a bunch of associated gear and such. One thing I'm wondering is if my uses when I move to CA will be conducive to a diesel or not. I will be going to a bunch of tracks but they will all be within 2-3 hours one way. My daily commute is probably going to drop from 30 miles to 18ish. I was previously bit by the diesel bug when I had my 5.9L Cummins, but when diesel skyrocketed I couldn't justify it since I wasn't doing a bunch of towing at the time. If I would have known the miles I was about to travel to tracks and back I would have kept it back then but hindsight can be a bitch. Still, I don't feel like I'd do a 3/4 ton justice right now where I'm at in life. Also still, I do love diesel performance and economy.

I feel like I'm kind of rambling so when it comes to these kinds of things, I tend to put together pros vs cons lists so here's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Tacoma

Pros:
Smaller than a 1500 which means easier navigation in traffic/around parking lots
Gets 20 mpg avg driving like a grandpa daily
PAID FOR (pretty big pro to me)

Cons:
Crapped the bed on me when heading to a track (no trailer, bike in the bed) via fuel pump failure at 17k miles
11-13 mpg avg pulling my small enclosed trailer and I'm not a fan of how it pulls that trailer
Small cab/cargo space (I don't have a family so it's not a huge deal, it's nice to have some more space for gear when heading to a track with buddies though)

ED

Pros:
Fuel economy for a daily driver and pulling the trailer (plus it will pull much better)
Cargo space
LOVE the new interior bells, whistles and the Rambox.

Cons:
Back into debt

Of course I'm aware this forum just might be a little bit biased so I take that into consideration, but I've been lurking this forum for a while and it seems to me like for the most part, you guys have good advice in general with less bias than a lot of other forums I am a member of.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Although not having a payment is the best option you will be saving around $100/nth in fuel cost so depending on how much you finance it could take a $500 payment to $400

·
Registered
279 Posts
Run what you got.... If your Tacoma is paid for, and it's a 2012, a new truck is hard to justify... of course each guy can spend his money how he wants...... Run the Tacoma for a year, then see if any other models or options come out on the Ecodiesel Ram 1500...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My first truck (when I was 16) was a 1986 Toyota. (bought new for $4900 !!) That truck treated me VERY well. I towed my dirt bikes, dune buggy, jetski's... and general junk in the bed. I had a turbo on it for a while, and had problems with the pipes cracking... and then I yanked it off, and installed a supercharger. When I finally sold it (2001) it has 340,000 miles on it. I kept it around because it ran well, and I didn't owe anything on it, and I didn't worry about scratching it up. (had other cars for my daily)

Eventually... (after moving to PA) it started to rot, and I got rid of it. Then... I started to realize (as I got older) when you are out of warranty, your "Payment" goes into maintain an older vehicle. (not that 2012 is old) Because of that... I lease the wife's car, so she can have something new every 3 years... an I turn over my trucks every 4 to 6 years, just depending on how they are running. But in a snow state... even if the truck is reliable... the body will eventually rot.

I know that's not really any help... but basically... I would rather have a nice/new truck, and have a payment, over having a truck that I wasn't happy with, and no payment.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yep not really able to give you a good answer. i actually, briefly, had a 2013 Tacoma 4x4, crew cab and all that...i thought it was a great truck for just one guy and throwing a bike in the back every now and then (bike = 250cc). but after 3-4 months, it was just too small for what i needed so it went in for a 2013 4Runner....prior to the Tacoma I had a '11 Platinum Tundra, loaded, crew cab...had it for 3 years and sold it for the tacoma because i was sick of 12mpg and paying $500 in gas each month... and now i'm back to a full size truck once my Ram shows up.

so how did that help you? not at all :) my circumstances were different and i was lucky enough to have a wife who said "go get what you want" and i did "ok" on my deals. so to me the Eco Ram represents the best of what i needed/wanted = a full size truck, great towing capacity, great MPG, plenty big enough for me and my family. it sucks to start the debt cycle all over again but this feels like i've found what i've been looking for (thanks U2).

·
Registered
120 Posts
so to me the Eco Ram represents the best of what i needed/wanted = a full size truck, great towing capacity, great MPG, plenty big enough for me and my family. it sucks to start the debt cycle all over again but this feels like i've found what i've been looking for (thanks U2).
This is pretty much what every truck guy is thinking.... finally we get a vehicle that offers the best of ALL worlds without sacrificing a thing. RAM has really stepped up their game with the recent aesthetic redesign, and now shoving diesels into 1/2 tons. Glad to see an american auto manufacturer beat the imports to the punch on this one. Ford is funny, their solution is to put everyone into an aluminum can, no thanks.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
That Ford aluminum can will soon look like the "craters of the moon" if my recent experience is valid.

I cannot fathom how having a Jap truck that sucks on fuel economy, is cramped, runs decent but comes with the bad carma of an import can compare to a quality American product. Of course, Chrysler is Fiat now and this engine is Italian.

·
Registered
37 Posts
StraydogEOD
Don't know what part of Cali you will be in but was just in Orange County in souther Cal visiting my daughter and noticed that diesel was the same price as reg-unleaded or even a penny cheaper. Here in AZ the deisel price has not moved at all and the reg-unleaded is going up. Something to think about if this trend keeps going.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That Ford aluminum can will soon look like the "craters of the moon" if my recent experience is valid.

I cannot fathom how having a Jap truck that sucks on fuel economy, is cramped, runs decent but comes with the bad carma of an import can compare to a quality American product. Of course, Chrysler is Fiat now and this engine is Italian.
Definitely no desire for that "Eco"boost here, putting a bicycle behind it in tow will make it drop to single freaking digits towing!

StraydogEOD
Don't know what part of Cali you will be in but was just in Orange County in souther Cal visiting my daughter and noticed that diesel was the same price as reg-unleaded or even a penny cheaper. Here in AZ the deisel price has not moved at all and the reg-unleaded is going up. Something to think about if this trend keeps going.

Near Sacramento (Travis AFB/Central CA). And that's certainly tipping me!

This is pretty much what every truck guy is thinking.... finally we get a vehicle that offers the best of ALL worlds without sacrificing a thing. RAM has really stepped up their game with the recent aesthetic redesign, and now shoving diesels into 1/2 tons. Glad to see an american auto manufacturer beat the imports to the punch on this one. Ford is funny, their solution is to put everyone into an aluminum can, no thanks.
Amen to all the above^

Thanks for the candid replies fellas. I probed my dealer again with an email and he said they will be getting their new allocations in May so perhaps I will be able to get an order in after all should I fall into that greener grass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got bumped of military hop to Anchorage, Alaska at Travis AFB with no more flights going out. Had to catch a bus to SF Int. No way I was going to stay my whole liberty on that base.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I tried to put an order in last March to no avail and put the thought of getting an EcoDiesel to the back of my mind. I currently own a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. It seems like I'm constantly going back and forth on whether to reconsider the ED again or not. ...
Well, the only other pickup I test drove last year was the best Tacoma available and I found it to be inferior to the Ram in almost every way I could rate it. Cheap feeling and uncomfortable were my main impressions. The current model seriously needs an update which I hear is in the works. The Tacoma's only pros are that it is cheaper, smaller, there are many aftermarket upgrades, and it has a better reliability record than Ram. Because I don't like being in debt, if I were you I'd probably keep the Tacoma and invest in upgrades (suspension, tires, etc.).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bigfoot, I agree with you on the debt... we were broke for 20 years with kids, and the next 10 we saved, dug out.. and it's a heck of a feeling to have zero debt..... it took hard work to get to that point, and a big purchase in a way just sets you back....

flip side is, if you got a few bucks saved, and still have cash flow from working, have low or no debt......nothing wrong with buying a truck, sports car, motorcycle, boat, quad or jet ski, or anything else.......

our house will be paid off in 10 days, last kid graduates college in 21 days.... and zero debt, not a bad spot....

Yes the Tacoma is dated, but they sold and still sell well. I don't get it, the fuel economy is no better than a full size half ton truck... so what's the point... and with the Ram diesel.... it almost makes the mid size truck a non issue...... If the GM Colorado with 2.8 Duramax gets over 30 mpg highway, it will offer a good option to folks who want a truck, but not a full size truck....

The Ram 3.0 Diesel is about as good as it gets, payload capacity aside.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got bumped of military hop to Anchorage, Alaska at Travis AFB with no more flights going out. Had to catch a bus to SF Int. No way I was going to stay my whole liberty on that base.
I spent a night there when I trucked my bike there from Utah, I thought the base was actually pretty nice. What I'm really stoked for is all the race tracks within reasonable distance and great weather most of the year.

As far as "jap scrap" goes though, I have to disagree a little, there are a lot of very fine motor related goods from Japan that are top notch quality. I loved the Subaru I had, but when I found out I was moving to boring ass Florida, I traded it in. There are amazing motorcycles that come from the land of the rising sun as well. Plus, the older Yotas are legendary for their reliability. These newer made in USA versions though kind of seem to have lost a bit of reliability for some reason. As far as the interior goes, I couldn't agree more that everything is better on the Ram. Plus there are other nice features about the truck in general that kick the Taco's butt. Guess here in a few days I'll have another conversation with the Ram dealer here and see how it goes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I sold my 2013 Tacoma for my ED which I haven't received yet mainly for all the points mentioned above. Mine was a 6 speed and was geared short for the interstate which meant about 18 mpg is what it would do at 75-80. One good thing the Tacoma has going for it is resale value at least for now that could go down if they update it. I got over 90% of what I paid new for mine with it being a year old and having 25000 miles.

Reactions: StraydogEOD

·
Registered
279 Posts
CG you made a good point not made yet, the resale value. If the Tacoma gets an upgrade, the resale of the prior model will drop.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Now that I have my truck to compare to the tacoma I know I made a good choice. It is so much better to drive and it beat my average Tacoma mileage by 8 mpg while going at least 80 my entire way back from the dealer. Another side note my ram was only about $8000 more at Dennis Dillon than my Tacoma when new and my Tacoma was pretty plain. I couldn't be happier so far.

Reactions: StraydogEOD

·
Registered
231 Posts
With my Duramax I had to fill up once a week at around $100 a pop. Now I fill up every other week. To me that is worth $200 into my payment for a new truck with a new warranty. On top of that diesel trucks hold their value very well compared to a gasoline engine. I think these two things will outweigh staying with a Tacoma. I had a V6 Tacoma that I used to tow my waverunners and its wasnt pretty. Terrible gas mileage too. The Ram will give you better mileage towing than your Tacoma does as a daily driver. That is really something that you need to consider since you will be driving all over the country with at trailer.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, the more I look at the numbers the more this Taco doesn't make much sense to me besides being small-ish and maneuverable. For how much less space I have, this truck should be getting better fuel economy. I mean it is 2 years old and I have to drive it like an absolute grandpa to get 19mpg while the new 5.7L V8 hemi is doing the same numbers with a much bigger engine and more space all around. Hell, have to buy your credit anyway right?! :p

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
stray - all valid points. i've owned several tacoma's (jeez i think at least 5 of them) and their strength was always they just never break. like ever. but their weakness was how slow they were to evolve to compete with "current" engines/transmissions. the V6 in the tacoma is pretty weak compared to what we see now as 'modern v6' engines go. its not the same V6 as in the 4runner & FJ. so your observations are dead on. i had a '13 tacoma 4x4 v6, crew cab and my city mpg was 16. my '13 4runner with a bigger V6, heavier vehicle gets 17.5 city mpg. go figure that one out... :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
With my Duramax I had to fill up once a week at around $100 a pop. Now I fill up every other week. To me that is worth $200 into my payment for a new truck with a new warranty. On top of that diesel trucks hold their value very well compared to a gasoline engine. I think these two things will outweigh staying with a Tacoma. I had a V6 Tacoma that I used to tow my waverunners and its wasnt pretty. Terrible gas mileage too. The Ram will give you better mileage towing than your Tacoma does as a daily driver. That is really something that you need to consider since you will be driving all over the country with at trailer.
Yes to all the above.

My 2010 ram v-8 would only go 300 mi on a tank... and my new ED goes +500mi, with the same "mixed" driving. (it will go 600~700 mi on the highway)

AND... I towed my jetski's home the other day, and was showing 19,5 mpg. (18 mi trip, and a double ski trailer, with 2 skis)

........ Hell, have to buy your credit anyway right?! :p

Absolutely. I have an 800 credit score, and that's because I have a bunch of debt, but I pay every month as I should. SO... when I went to buy my new truck... and I said... "No, 4% isn't good. Go get me a REAL rate!!" the answer back was... "Yes Mr Ferraro". (and I got 2%)

I have a buddy who hates debt (about the same age as me) and I commend him for not having too many bills. But, when he went and bought a new truck last year... he had to jump though a bunch of hoops, and show proof of employment, and his employer was actually called to verify. THEN... he had to give them a real down payment. For me... it was "Sign here, and have a nice day."

I was taught this lesson when I was 18 by my dad... and I never forgot it.

Oh... and not to mention... a high credit score gets you a better price on insurance, since it shows responsibility.

Now... get off your butt, and go buy your new truck !!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts