RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys after 2 trouble free Ecos I'm in need of a 3/4 ton once again. I loved my 3.0 but new camper was too much for a 1/2 ton. My gde tune is for sale if any one is interested.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
As far as what and where we tow its the best decision in a long time. Yes the ride is bit rougher, but the more we add in stuff, caps etc it seems to be getting smoother. Compliant and never jarring, it rides much better than I expected. We have a 4x2 Laramie. 2018. Towing its smoother than the ED with air suspension. Turning radius is wider. A bit more noisy/harsher at idle than the ED, I hear the 19s are quieter however.

But the thing is hoot to tow with, night and day difference. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've always felt that you need to keep the ecodiesel in perspective for what it is. It's a small displacement engine ( 182ci.in.) which outdoes itself and is truly a modern marvel of horsepower & torque being produced from those cubes. Because of this you need to keep your towing & hauling needs in perspective as well in regards to the ED. Even though a given ED powered truck might be rated to tow 10000 pounds doesn't necessarily mean that it should do so on a regular basis. There's a big difference between can tow or should tow.

IMO; If you have the need to haul a larger trailer or heavier loads, you will be much better off with an HD truck. Not only will you get the bigger more capable engine, you'll also get the drivetrain & suspension to go along with it. If I had the heavy towing needs I would have kept my '18 2500 Cummins, but I don't have and I'm enjoying the ride & drivability pleasure of my '20 ecodiesel and am really happy that I went back to a 1500 at this point

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I love the cummins. I get more and more time to ride in one and use one all the time as my dad has a 2018 and I do a lot with my folks. No doubt it is a power monger. The ecodiesel simply doesn't compare to it and in my mind it shouldn't you are comparing a mileage minded half ton and a towing minded 3/4+ ton. Sure they both have and engine transmission and wheels but I believe they are as dissimilar as they are alike.

If you are shopping based on your needs the ecodiesel and cummins are not both found in the set of vehicles you are looking at.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love the cummins. I get more and more time to ride in one and use one all the time as my dad has a 2018 and I do a lot with my folks. No doubt it is a power monger. The ecodiesel simply doesn't compare to it and in my mind it shouldn't you are comparing a mileage minded half ton and a towing minded 3/4+ ton. Sure they both have and engine transmission and wheels but I believe they are as dissimilar as they are alike.

If you are shopping based on your needs the ecodiesel and cummins are not both found in the set of vehicles you are looking at.
Having owned both, I think @MAS hit the nail on the head. Both great vehicles, but I do not think they are directly comparable.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Kind of why I moved to the new Cummins. The Ecodiesel was fine and gave great fuel mileage. In contrast to some, I always thought the ride was not good as the little truck bounced around and never tracked like one of the big boys. Towing comparison does not really exist. Cummins and the 2500/3500 rules. Add that the Cummins does not come with the drama of the Ecodiesel and the move is a "no brainer".

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Cap if you had owned a ED with air suspension I believe you would have had a different opinion. It is an incredible system, and no other half ton can compete in ride stability and ability to flex with a load and remain level.
In fact I now know loaded it became very stiff and appreciate the long travel and ability to absorb jarring events with the 2500s coils. But empty or even slightly loaded that air suspendion was like riding on a cloud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts