RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Contaminate Fuel does occur, But its more likely the Dealer is the problem, We check vehicles all the time that Dealers play the bad fuel card ,its extremely rare to find them correct.

If you get Contaminated fuel most filters allow a small % to bypass, Many Filters are design to filter fuel , NOT stop contamination, and the filters That do stop contamination require bypass setups $$$.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
call bs and ask for proof.

they have no idea if its bad. do not consent to paying for that repair. they are throwing parts at it and are trying to get you to pay for it. take a fuel sample and get it tested. open a case with fca and explain that you fill up two diesels at the same station.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!
Try a different dealer

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
This is what scares me about owning this truck right now.

Imagine being out of warranty for these repairs?

A Turbo and how many hours or labor?

Injectors and how many hours of labor?
Its extremely rare for contaminate fuel today purchase from Retail Pumps, But it does happen. The Cost on Injectors for the ED are $380.00 each and can be replace in 1.5hrs R/R, the CP4 is $950.00 1hr R/R , Installing Auxiliary filtration is about $500-$1200 and would mostly likely extend the life of injectors to 250K miles+ on Avg. Turbo should last into 200K miles Avg no idea on price My guess $1500 New form the correct seller.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Search this forum for Service Electronic Throttle Control, There is allot of information on this. It is usually caused by an air leak on the pressure side of the turbo. The ECM senses this, sends the messages and puts the truck in limp mode. The exhaust system message is automatic when you get the Service Throttle message. Look for loose clamps on the turbo and intercooler hoses. And give Green Diesel Engineering a call. They've forgotten more than most dealers know and can speak to this issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Awhile ago a did a poll. About 40% on this forum will not keep their truck out of warranty.

This is what scares me about owning this truck right now.

Imagine being out of warranty for these repairs?

A Turbo and how many hours or labor?

Injectors and how many hours of labor?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Its extremely rare for contaminate fuel today purchase from Retail Pumps, But it does happen. The Cost on Injectors for the ED are $380.00 each and can be replace in 1.5hrs R/R, the CP4 is $950.00 1hr R/R , Installing Auxiliary filtration is about $500-$1200 and would mostly likely extend the life of injectors to 250K miles+ on Avg. Turbo should last into 200K miles Avg no idea on price My guess $1500 New form the correct seller.
Am I correct in assuming that the labor for R/R the turbo would be very expensive. I understand that the engine or cab has to be pulled to do it. The other stuff sounds pretty reasonable compared to my Duramax LB7.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Awhile ago a did a poll. About 40% on this forum will not keep their truck out of warranty.
I am in that group... I used to keep vehicles for an average of 10 years. As the technology became more complex, I realized that the increased costs of repairs were eating into the advantage of long ownership. My GMC 2500HD cost me about $10K in after warranty repairs. I'm not a gambler anymore, so I will be trading before the warranty is over.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
You can remove the plenum and all the top parts lines, Rails, ERG, ETC , you can get to the up-pipes and turbo... ugly Job to say the least.

Turbo's are like women treat respectfully and they last , the ED is capable of 1500+ EGT's stay up here for long and its $$$$ in in un-timely repairs and down time.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome and enjoy OP! Gene you have a very valid point about all these new vehicles and the purposefully designed poor reliability/longevity. All manufacturers have IMO designed or engineered a finite life span for these expensive vehicles . It is consumerism at its best, they want you to be back to buy new or spend loads of money on fixing expensive repairs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the labor for R/R the turbo would be very expensive. I understand that the engine or cab has to be pulled to do it. The other stuff sounds pretty reasonable compared to my Duramax LB7.
I'd read that too. GDE said the same. My turbo was replaced about a month ago. Diagnosed on Thurs afternoon, ordered part which arrived Monday and I was out the door Monday afternoon. They didn't pull the cab. Tech said he didn't need to.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If they are blaming on bad fuel they are almost certainly going to try to stick you with the bill. I would be very clear up front with them who is paying for all this work and if ALL will be covered by warranty. If they try say you are responsible for anything I'd immediately stop all work. Get in contact with FCA. Get a fuel sample and send it to independent lab. If fuel is in fact bad then Shell will cover repair work.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Most Insurance companies require daily reports inspections on under ground Tanks, that means privately owned station must comply, Now Corp Station may be self insured. MNBlue Does all most all the Tank cleaning scrubbing In MN Parts of WI / IA call them and they will tell you who has the cleanest tanks.

MN
1 Superamerica
2 KwikTrip
3 Holiday

But I did get contaminate fuel form Holiday June of 2013 , and it was a corp Station , I was PO for ****even till now, It was a empty transfer (100 Gallon) tank that Was just Cleaned BY ME at Bioclean Systems, I have close ties to this company for 34 Years, We know how to clean Tanks, it was check By ME, Scott , Blaine. it was bone dry and perfectly clean, When filling the transfer tank I started the Auxiliary tanks Pump which is equip wit Zinga AE-3AZL filter ,The Best Aqua-Zorb filter I know, The Transfer pump shut down almost immediately (Filter plugged 100% shut), I then checked the tank WOW I stopped the retail Pump at Holiday and found the Station Manager to check it out it had 62 Gallons pumped in, She said She would call corp office ,GO FOT IT I'm not moving and call the police, Blaine Police arrived and verified the contamination , Corp sent MNBlue to stick the Tank I waited until MNBlue arrived, it was ***** and I know this person and we torpedo sample the tank It had some sentiments but that was it , What happen was Tanker just left minutes before I showed up and dropped 9500 Gallons of clear #2 this stirred the Tank and I suck up a pocket of water. Holiday Did nothing. MNBlue Pumped My auxiliary tank Dry, I Changed the Zinga filter which after inspection the element was laden with water, I filled at SA stirred the tank with the auxiliary Pump changed the Zinga filter again and all was good, Here's a picture of the fuel Pod the sample was taken form.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
All My trucks have Auxiliary Bypass filtration <Even My Big Rams, The ED cannot support the Auxiliary transfer tank But when Home All these Vehicle get filled form the tank at the shop With Zinga Filters or the Truck Auxiliary Tank ,YES ALL.

These Pumps are installed on My ED.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
People need to remember that "out of warranty" is really 36,000mi.

Are injectors even covered up to the 100,000 powertrain? No sensors are, I know that from personal experience. If FCA hadnt stepped up, I'd have been in for a $645 repair.

What happens here? Can you submit a claim with the station? does their insurance pay for them selling you bunk fuel?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Injector are covered on the warranty to 100K miles.

No the station denied everything, Dealing with Holiday Corp was NOT worth my time ,But I did cost them $10,000s in fines in 2014, MN law requires that -10 be in the tanks OCT 1, -20 NOV ,-30 Dec/Jan , -20 Feb , -10 March, I went to 3 Blaine Holiday Stations and took retail samples and tested them Nov 1 2014, Guess what ,1 station Clear #2 and the others -5 -7, MN Weights and measures was notified and they verified My results......Jeff YOU POS at Holiday Corp, I'm sure wasn't the same after I called and ask how's the investigation going HeeeeHeeeee all those fines over 62 gallons of Bad fuel and the cost of 2 $38.00 Filters, That's all I wanted. Another lesson to learn Don't under estimate Who you are dealing with.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Injector are covered on the warranty to 100K miles.

No the station denied everything, Dealing with Holiday Corp was NOT worth my time ,But I did cost them $10,000s in fines in 2014, MN law requires that -10 be in the tanks OCT 1, -20 NOV ,-30 Dec/Jan , -20 Feb , -10 March, I went to 3 Blaine Holiday Stations and took retail samples and tested them Nov 1 2014, Guess what ,1 station Clear #2 and the others -5 -7, MN Weights and measures was notified and they verified My results......Jeff YOU POS at Holiday Corp, I'm sure wasn't the same after I called and ask how's the investigation going HeeeeHeeeee all those fines over 62 gallons of Bad fuel and the cost of 2 $38.00 Filters, That's all I wanted. Another lesson to learn Don't under estimate Who you are dealing with.

Turbo too?

Too funny on the fuel situation.... they paid for it in the long run lol

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
That pocket of water could have been suck up by anyone, Holiday was just lucky it happen to Me ,Some one who has the setup just for that scenario....Holiday did fight, Challenging unfairness, In the end the dept handed the matter over to the commissioners office who agree it was a clear violation of the cold weather Standard. Back in Nov/Dec 2013 MN had extreme Cold Late Nov/Dec and Yep 1000s of gelled up vehicles. Station's saw the cold coming and Dumped -20 on clear #2 but it was to late, and it was going to be tuff for the Weight & measure to investigate the disaster in 2013. No so in NOV 2014..

Turbo is also covered to 100K Miles

1 - 20 of 32 Posts