RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its extremely rare for contaminate fuel today purchase from Retail Pumps, But it does happen. The Cost on Injectors for the ED are $380.00 each and can be replace in 1.5hrs R/R, the CP4 is $950.00 1hr R/R , Installing Auxiliary filtration is about $500-$1200 and would mostly likely extend the life of injectors to 250K miles+ on Avg. Turbo should last into 200K miles Avg no idea on price My guess $1500 New form the correct seller.
Who makes axillary filtration system for the ED?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
No one I know of, You have to fab up your own system Like I did. I had a thread on it But I delete it BC I'm PO at the Mods here. I'll Post them again later, it worth the effort and $$$, it also additional fuel heat.
I thought there was something I missed...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
call bs and ask for proof.

they have no idea if its bad. do not consent to paying for that repair. they are throwing parts at it and are trying to get you to pay for it. take a fuel sample and get it tested. open a case with fca and explain that you fill up two diesels at the same station.
That's what I did, told them to install the turbo however don't touch the fuel system. For them to do the work on the fuel system, they want $2,700.

As for opening a case with FCA, I've tried Ram Customer Care who is useless and both times talking to them, they tell me to talk to the dealer's manger which I had already spoken with. The 2nd time talking with the dealer's manager, I asked for his boss and he said that he didn't know who was above him, like an area manager and he mentioned that he will call me back in the morning and I'm still waiting on that call, 2 days now.

Right now, I will send a letter to Sergio Marchionne and a few other senior level executives and let them work this mess. I've never seen a company who "don't know" their next level of leadership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Search this forum for Service Electronic Throttle Control, There is allot of information on this. It is usually caused by an air leak on the pressure side of the turbo. The ECM senses this, sends the messages and puts the truck in limp mode. The exhaust system message is automatic when you get the Service Throttle message. Look for loose clamps on the turbo and intercooler hoses. And give Green Diesel Engineering a call. They've forgotten more than most dealers know and can speak to this issue.
That's exactly what Keith at GDE said. He said that he would check all the hoses for leaks before replacing the turbo because with only 16K on my Ecodiesel, it is highly unlikely that the turbo is bad. Mentioned that to the mechanic and he said thanks and had to elevate it to the engineers at FCA and that agreed with replacing the turbo. I'm not made about getting a new turbo however I'm tired of my truck being in the shop, sitting at 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This is what scares me about owning this truck right now.

Imagine being out of warranty for these repairs?

A Turbo and how many hours or labor?

Injectors and how many hours of labor?
Tsr6 no need to be worried about the cost of fixing these modern diesels. I think you will find that gassers or diesels , the corporate/dealer establishment is going to extract huge $$$$ out of everyone. When I got rid of my ecoboost 3.5 gasser ,the final straw was a new timing chain at 60000 miles the total cost was 3500$! Taxes all in. WTF the service manager and I talked about doing a timing chain back in the good old days for a couple 100$. The scary thing is when I bought the ford I asked the SM what was involved $$$ etc. To replace fix the fuel injection system he said he did not have a clue . I should have canceled the deal and ran.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had a check engine light and took my 2016 (4250 miles) Ecodiesel to get serviced. Was told I had gotten bad fuel, required change of fuel rail, fuel filter, injectors, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel filler neck,. With labor cost $8300 and not covered under warranty. Approximately 3 weeks after this work was done, I got the check engine light again, again, for fuel issues not covered under warranty (I had changed the station where I get fuel and used the one the dealer uses), this time approximately $800 not covered under warranty. I was told that I needed to utilize "Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner" when I fueled, and this would not be supplied by the dealer. I asked the dealer for a service bulletin concerning this new requirement. Has anyone out there experienced a similar issue? This is my second Ecodielsel (first one had an engine failure at 22,000 miles and was replaced under Maryland Lemon law, both vehicles ordered new from the factory) and I'm starting to get a little discouraged as at 23 months of owning this vehicle, it's spent over 4.5 months at the dealer in some form of repair.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Did you see the contaminated Parts? or the dropped tank with the Bad Fuel? If NOT I call BS on that dealer, I 2nd the BS on the additive. Asphaltene in all diesel fuel and harmless unless its #3 tar.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently had a check engine light and took my 2016 (4250 miles) Ecodiesel to get serviced. Was told I had gotten bad fuel, required change of fuel rail, fuel filter, injectors, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel filler neck,. With labor cost $8300 and not covered under warranty. Approximately 3 weeks after this work was done, I got the check engine light again, again, for fuel issues not covered under warranty (I had changed the station where I get fuel and used the one the dealer uses), this time approximately $800 not covered under warranty. I was told that I needed to utilize "Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner" when I fueled, and this would not be supplied by the dealer. I asked the dealer for a service bulletin concerning this new requirement. Has anyone out there experienced a similar issue? This is my second Ecodielsel (first one had an engine failure at 22,000 miles and was replaced under Maryland Lemon law, both vehicles ordered new from the factory) and I'm starting to get a little discouraged as at 23 months of owning this vehicle, it's spent over 4.5 months at the dealer in some form of repair.
WHAT?!! Am I reading this right, you spent $9K out of pocket? You already lived with a crap truck and rolled over and paid on your 2nd one? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ecodiesel brothers and sisters,

I have a question, trying to get a sanity check. Took my 2016 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel in for Electronic Throttle Control Light and the Exhaust System Service required. The 1st time, the dealer diagnosis the problem stating that the throttle is losing connect with the ECM. They disconnected everything and reconnected and everything was working. Picked up my vehicle and drove an hour and a half with a pit stop at a store, and then continued my drive home and 10 minutes after the pitstop, the same lights came back on and of course when these warning lights come on, it reduces power not allowing the engine to rev pass 3,000 rpm and the truck doesn't shift properly meaning I have to take my foot off the gas and it will shift however with the pedal floored, it reaches 3,000 rpms and I could be at 35 mph.

Returned it to the dealer and initial diagnosis was bad turbo. They ordered a new turbo and a week later, they said that I had bad fuel and need new injects and lines and my fuel tank has to be drained and cleaned.

Have any of you had or seen any similar issues? By the way, what's the purpose of the fuel filter if bad fuel made it past the filter into the injectors?

The crazy thing in this explanation is that I've been using the same Shell for the past 6 months or so putting diesel in both my truck and VW however I'm still driving my VW while my truck is in the shop.

Need help!!
[/QUOTE

Hi my name is Gary please explain what ended up happening i am dealing with these scumbags on the same issue im at a loss and don't no where to go I have only owned vehicle 1year an only put 9000 miles on it and im replacing injectors on my dime

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Gary, in my case, I had it towed to another dealer and the mechanic there found that I had a bad wire harness on the engine. That was replaced under warranty and I haven’t had that issue since.

I took a sample of the fuel and had it tested the day I had it towed to the other dealer just to make sure that the fuel wasn’t the issue. The results of the fuel said that there wasn’t any contaminates.

The dealer giving you that explanation is just, we don’t know what’s wrong so we are going to throw parts at the issue at your expense until we fix it! I almost learned the hard way.

I hope this helps!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts