RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the safe way to remove badging off of yoir new truck and not damage the badge or paint job?

Reactions: laniermax

·
Registered
366 Posts
it's basically double-sided tape, except for the vinyls(which are vinyl). no real great way to do it, but they do go on top of the clear coat so check with a bodyshop.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Am i the only one who thinks the ecodiesel badge is way to big and could have been designed with better colours and a better placement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know the safe way to remove badging off of yoir new truck and not damage the badge or paint job?
I debadged my 09 Ram. I removed the 1500 Ram, 4x4, SLT, etc. In my opinion it creates a cleaner look on the truck (especially the door and fender). I plan on removing the badges on my Ecodiesel as well including the Big Horn, SLT & 4x4 on the tail gate.

It is actually a simple process:

1) Use a piece of small test fishing line wrapped around each hand. Run it between the badge and the body panel. This will separate the badge from the adhesive backing.

2) Purchase a adhesive removal wheel. It will attach to the end of your drill (pic below). This will remove the large pieces of adhesive on the body panel

3) Purchase a can of 3M adhesive remover. This will remove any remaining adhesive on the body panel.

4) A coat of wax applied to the area where the badge was removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks that seems easy enough! Where can i get that 3m remover and wheel? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fishing string, 3M adhesive remover or dealersol. No need for anything else a lot of the adhesive you can roll off the paint with your fingers.Some say a heat gun helps to soften the adhesive and makes removal easier. Be careful with a heat though you can get the clear coat too hot and cause damage. Once done just clean up the area and wax it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is a video on it... fishing line part is the same... remainder is just by hand vs. the eraser wheel. I've done both in the past on other vehicles and both work. Just make sure if you use an eraser wheel that the area is super clean.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats awesome ......thanks so much for posting that video!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I watched that exact same video and followed the steps and I have to say my adhesive tape did not come off nearly as easy as in the video. This was on my truck with 100 miles on it at the time. Now I'm not saying they applied tape for demonstration purposes and immediately removed it on camera lol but mine was not as easy as they make it seem. What I did was use a "plastic razor blade" available at the hardware store. This helped pull up the ends of the tape and also is good to scrape the adhesive residue left behind after using the adhesive remover product by 3M. Worked amazingly well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took mine off the same way that the guy in the video did. I had trouble at first getting the adhesive off, found that the badges that were in the sun came off much easier. Used a heat gun (on a very low setting) to heat up the rest of the badges, which really eased removal. I used Tar X to remove any leftover adhesive residue, which worked great with just a little wiping with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
NICE! Looks like the new generation of double sided adhesives is much easier to work with. Love the out & back at 45 degree trick - handy. :)

If you do have leftover adhesive stuck to your paint, use an adhesive remover. The trick is to let it soak in and work for a minute or two. It'll make things much easier to remove. I don't leave it on paint for longer than that, however.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the info! Am i the only one who thinks the ecodiesel badge is way to big and could have been designed with better colours and a better placement.
Chris, mine didn't have the ecodiesel badging. At first I was disappointed then I decided it was just fine.

You can try a hair dryer to heat up the double stick. It's 3-m and strong, but it will come off without damage if you are patient.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up taking the "ram 1500" off the door, used a hair dryer and the videos method, it worked well.... hardest part was the little bits of sticky crap after.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts