RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to add a set of Timber Grove airbags this weekend and all I can say is wow....what a difference. The difference in the towing ability is amazing. Why haven’t i put these things on all my trucks? The reason I chose the Timber Grove bags was because i felt the had they simplest design and ease of installation. I’m sure the other bags on the market may perform equally well, but the Timber Groves literally only took 2 1/2 hours to put in from start to finish. My wife was shocked, seeing how every time i give an estimate, she usually doubles it. Told her probably 4 hours I’ll be done, oh great, that means all day she said!

I have a 20‘ cargo trailer that’s 9’ tall, (7,500lbs.gross load), and was an absolute beast to tow with my former f150 or my new eco diesel. The reason i got the bags was mainly because pulling this trailer over 60mph would give anyone white knuckles. With the bags installed and 30lbs of air, you literally couldn’t even tell you were hauling anything. No more sway or wagging and the stability felt like i could go any speed i wanted. Two thumbs up to Steve at Timber Grove for hooking me up and answering all my questions. I was worried about changing the ride quality when empty, but when you drop the air down to 5-7lbs. there is no difference in the ride from factory to bagged.

B4

after

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just make sure you keep about 12 to 15 pounds in them when you aren't towing. If you let them get low, the first time you hit "bottom" you'll understand ..... the "bellows" bags don't have the low pressure/no load softness that straight sided bags do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your not using one you need a weight distributing hitch.
No disrespect but I’ve been in the transportation business for 35 years. WDH have there place e.g. (single rig TT setup, or Overloaded pin weights) but in my line of work I sometimes hook to three or four different trailers a week. I also have a 5th wheel that weighs 9500 pounds, Which I’ve only been towing with my company work truck, Ram 5500. But with the drastic change these bags made I’m considering throwing a gooseneck hitch with an Anderson rig and using it to move the 5th wheel from job to job. Most of these moves are short across town and it would be super beneficial to me not to have to make special arrangements to get it moved. No one in our industry uses WDH unless it’s a specialized designated trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
No disrespect but I’ve been in the transportation business for 35 years. WDH have there place e.g. (single rig TT setup, or Overloaded pin weights) but in my line of work I sometimes hook to three or four different trailers a week. I also have a 5th wheel that weighs 9500 pounds, Which I’ve only been towing with my company work truck, Ram 5500. But with the drastic change these bags made I’m considering throwing a gooseneck hitch with an Anderson rig and using it to move the 5th wheel from job to job. Most of these moves are short across town and it would be super beneficial to me not to have to make special arrangements to get it moved. No one in our industry uses WDH unless it’s a specialized designated trailer.

I don't care how many years you have been doing it, if you think air bags cure what ails of the lack of weight distribution your wrong. The difference in 5th wheel/gooseneck and bumper pull is basically what weight distribution accomplishes. The 5er and gooseneck place the load slightly in front of the rear axle distributing the weight to both axles of the tow vehicle. On a tongue pull the tongue weight adds weight to the rear axle and takes it away from the front, weight distribution helps move some of the tongue weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle back to the trailer axles and put some weight back on the front axles of the tow vehicle.

Im not saying you cant improve the ride with just air bags, but you still would greatly benefit in control and weight distribution by using a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't care how many years you have been doing it, if you think air bags cure what ails of the lack of weight distribution your wrong. The difference in 5th wheel/gooseneck and bumper pull is basically what weight distribution accomplishes. The 5er and gooseneck place the load slightly in front of the rear axle distributing the weight to both axles of the tow vehicle. On a tongue pull the tongue weight adds weight to the rear axle and takes it away from the front, weight distribution helps move some of the tongue weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle back to the trailer axles and put some weight back on the front axles of the tow vehicle.

Im not saying you cant improve the ride with just air bags, but you still would greatly benefit in control and weight distribution by using a weight distribution hitch.
I have no desire to transfer more weight to the front axels when hauling 7,000lbs. A WDH is a waste of money unless you are over loaded. There would be zero benefits from a load that has less than 1200lbs of hitch weight when it’s the high profile trailer making it dog walk. Also the bags are fully adjustable on the fly with any load i will haul. You may be looking at the sag in the picture but this load was intentionally over loaded in the nose to test the bags effectiveness. Also i don’t need a third grade explanation on weight transfer, like i said, 35 years in the trucking business and never once have i come across anyone using a WDH unless their over loaded.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
I have no desire to transfer more weight to the front axels when hauling 7,000lbs. A WDH is a waste of money unless you are over loaded. There would be zero benefits from a load that has less than 1200lbs of hitch weight when it’s the high profile trailer making it dog walk.
I'll just leave this here..

·
Registered
239 Posts
How about that, adding air bags just makes it look better, and reduces he weight on the steering axle even more. I never actually thought it out, but the numbers don't lie. I've been running around with a class a cdl for 29 years and I learned, or re-learned something today. Thanks for finding that and posting it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
How about that, adding air bags just makes it look better, and reduces he weight on the steering axle even more. I never actually thought it out, but the numbers don't lie.
^^^ this exactly
It's usually the HD truck owners that don't want to admit they're wrong about not using a WDH

·
Registered
769 Posts
@Crash68, very informative video. It has convinced me that a small load can still cause problems if you take too much weight off the front wheels. I use the Timber Grove bags also and do like them.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
928 Posts
If you ever got into the "sway of death" and came out of it, you will swear to our lord Jesus you'll never NOT use an WDH again. It was the electric brakes that saved my bacon, when those activated, creating drag on the trailer, everything straightened out. IF I would of forgot to hook up the brakes, I would of been toast.

The internet is full of trailer mishaps. Watching a few of those is a learning experience.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Crash68,

Great video. What an eye-opener.

I never tow without a WDH unless it's a small utility trailer or my boat. Over the years I have used every WDH except Anderson & Blue Ox and found that Equal-I-Zer is the best. I also use Timber Grove airbags but more so as an overload spring and to supplement the Equal-I-Zer.

Thanks for the post, I'm sending it to all my trailering friends.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Driving a tractor trailer and a pickup pulling a bumper pull trailer is apples and oranges. If you look at an over the road tractor you will notice the pivot on a fifth wheel is ahead of the center of the rear axles. When you pull a trailer it puts weight on the front axles as well as the rear, just like a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer. A bumper pull does just the opposite. It will use the rear axle as a fulcrum and take weight off the front axle. As it moves the CG aft it will make the truck more and more unstable. Soon it will reach a point where the traction on the front wheels to resist side loads is exceed by the side loads imposed by the instability and then you get to clean out the ditches....
Just my two cents worth...

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Driving a tractor trailer and a pickup pulling a bumper pull trailer is apples and oranges. If you look at an over the road tractor you will notice the pivot on a fifth wheel is ahead of the center of the rear axles. When you pull a trailer it puts weight on the front axles as well as the rear, just like a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer. A bumper pull does just the opposite. It will use the rear axle as a fulcrum and take weight off the front axle. As it moves the CG aft it will make the truck more and more unstable. Soon it will reach a point where the traction on the front wheels to resist side loads is exceed by the side loads imposed by the instability and then you get to clean out the ditches....
Just my two cents worth...

Mark
You are absolutely wrong about the tractor trailers. Not sure why anyone wants to argue with me about this. You can only put 12,000lbs on the front axel of a semi if you max out all the other axels. Most rigs have a steer weight of well over 10,000lbs. The king pin generally lands right between the tandems, as to not transfer any weight to the front axel. You can slide the fifth wheel forward of your center point/fulcrum point to try and fix an overload situation on your drive axel accomplishing what a WDH does.

My whole point of the post was to point out how surprised i was that putting the air bags on my truck 100% cured the problem i was having pulling my high profile trailer. You can’t argue this because I’m the one driving it and it unequivocally fixed the dog walk. I never said that WDH don’t work, they absolutely do. We have a hair and makeup trailer in our fleet that we use one on. It’s way to heavy of a trailer to be a bumper pull and absolutely pulls to much weight off the steer tires. Stop trying to sell me on a WDH because I’m not interested in over loading my truck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You are absolutely wrong about the tractor trailers. Not sure why anyone wants to argue with me about this. You can only put 12,000lbs on the front axel of a semi if you max out all the other axels. Most rigs have a steer weight of well over 10,000lbs. The king pin generally lands right between the tandems, as to not transfer any weight to the front axel. You can slide the fifth wheel forward of your center point/fulcrum point to try and fix an overload situation on your drive axel accomplishing what a WDH does.

My whole point of the post was to point out how surprised i was that putting the air bags on my truck 100% cured the problem i was having pulling my high profile trailer. You can’t argue this because I’m the one driving it and it unequivocally fixed the dog walk. I never said that WDH don’t work, they absolutely do. We have a hair and makeup trailer in our fleet that we use one on. It’s way to heavy of a trailer to be a bumper pull and absolutely pulls to much weight off the steer tires. Stop trying to sell me on a WDH because I’m not interested in over loading my truck.

Wow OK have it your way.... You win. Your rules of physics are different then the rest of us.

Mark

·
Registered
899 Posts
There's been a lot of theory and disagreement posted here. Scotty had a problem and found a solution. Who cares if it defies logic, I like it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts