RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years my Bakflip absorbed so much water, 14 pounds per panel to be exact. I paid over $900 Canadian so I was not going to purchase another one with the faulty water absorbing foam.

I separated the panel weather stripping and one by one disassembled the panels and replaced the foam with half inch Extruded Polystyrene Rigid Insulation by Owens Corning which is water resistant. The original foam was a Styrofoam like material used for packaging and it crumbled when I removed it. Separating the panel frame of the panels was the hard part. I used a small thin pry bar to break the glue seal between the frame assembly and the aluminum panel. Be careful not to pull too hard on the frame as they can bend.

Once disassembled I cleaned off the old glue and foam by light sanding and acetone. I cut the foam to size and using spray foam as my bonding agent and reassembled the panel and using a couple of patio slabs and 3/4 inch plywood to squeeze the panel together.

Next day I would press the frames back onto the panel with large pipe clamps and I applied No More Nails glue to the inside of the frame to bond the frame to the panel and let it set for another day. The next day I would press the side frame onto the panel using ratchet straps. The third panel I was able to combine the two steps together and put all the frame side on at the same time. My only problem I had (didn't realize at the time) was I pressed the frames too close together and the weather stripping which joins the panels together would not slide back in its track. ( I fixed this by trimming the a little off the end of the frame on one side)

I painted all the panels with semigloss spray paint and and using 3M VHB tape I reattached the latches. Be sure to centre the latches properly and pop rivet back onto the panel.

I used 3M adhesive remover to cleanup the side weather stripping and reinstalled rubber seal onto the panels (using cable pulling lub). Reinstalled the cover onto the truck. Once all setup and adjusted on the truck I used 1/2 inch 3M VHB tape to secure the side weather stripping to the panels. I also added a thin bead of black caulking to edge of the frame to slow down the possibility of getting water to inner panel.

I hope to get more than four years out of the rebuild since that's how long the original lasted. Its too bad Bakflip didn't use better quality materials for the money they charge for their product.

I hope this brief story would help anyone else who is attempting to repair their cover.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That looks like a lot of work, but significantly cheaper than replacing, and you made it better. Bravo!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Crap - never entered my mind that my BakFlip may have water between the panels. I love the cover and don't relish the though of having to undertake this project - though I'm very thankful you've posted a How-To. Appreciate it!

Bob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Crap - never entered my mind that my BakFlip may have water between the panels. I love the cover and don't relish the though of having to undertake this project - though I'm very thankful you've posted a How-To. Appreciate it!

Bob
Ditto. My panels don't feel heavy so I think they're dry. It helps that it only rains a handful of days a year here in San Diego.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great write up! Undercover already replaced my cover 3 times due to heavy leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts