RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Article talks of it still in some development stage. If so, doubt many would have one to comment on.

Banks is great for power. If power increases is your goal, that just might be something to consider. There's no mention of EGR changes, DEF sensor changes, shifting and operational changes, cruise control, fuel mileage etc. Those are the features so many want along with possibly increased longevity and reliability. That's why GDE is so popular. It is not much of a performance tune.

If you want power to play the Banks equipment could make your day.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
The first power bottle neck & weak link on our trucks is the small factory turbo.

The only two I know that tried Banks was deceased Sean & TC. I don't recall much being said about it but you can search the forums for Banks related posts. Generally I'm not a fan of a piggyback type tune as it has more limitations than an actual ECM tune. Banks claims;

35 HP
47 TQ

GDE's ECM tune retains factory safety parameters and will not overspeed the turbo. Has multiple options including turbo brake for downhill speed control when towing.

28 HP
65 TQ

PPEI's MAX street ECM tune claims higher peak numbers & turbo brake option. But likely overspins turbo shortening turbo life & higher EGTs.

40 HP
85 TQ

PPEI's Race tune has no turbo brake warns against towing. It Squeezes turbo & more for its life. Must monitor EGTs & expect shorter turbo etc life.

60 HP
114TQ

·
Registered
101 Posts
The first power bottle neck & weak link on our trucks is the small factory turbo.

The only two I know that tried Banks was deceased Sean & TC. I don't recall much being said about it but you can search the forums for Banks related posts. Generally I'm not a fan of a piggyback type tune as it has more limitations than an actual ECM tune. Banks claims;

35 HP
47 TQ

GDE's ECM tune retains factory safety parameters and will not overspeed the turbo. Has multiple options including turbo brake for downhill speed control when towing.

28 HP
65 TQ

PPEI's MAX street ECM tune claims higher peak numbers & turbo brake option. But likely overspins turbo shortening turbo life & higher EGTs.

40 HP
85 TQ

PPEI's Race tune has no turbo brake warns against towing. It Squeezes turbo & more for its life. Must monitor EGTs & expect shorter turbo etc life.

60 HP
114TQ
Proof or guessing?

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Just taking from their sites & postings.

Edit I first missed your bolded print. Likely means I'm speculating.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Best to stick with facts.

Case in point, the gentleman that recently had GDE tune his ECM to run more fuel than the Off Road one comes with. He says his max EGTs are lower than what I can make my GDE Off Road tuned engine hit. While I find that hard to believe since he's dumping more fuel in, I cannot guess his EGTs are higher or anything else.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Trippy It seems odd that you didn't understand the word likely.

Opinions are welcome on the forum as long as they are stated as such & not as fact.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Trippy It seems odd that you didn't understand the word likely.

Opinions are welcome on the forum as long as they are stated as such & not as fact.
I understand what likely means.

Those comments could be viewed as a negative of the product offered although they might possibly be wrong. Opinions are good to share, possible misrepresentations as such are not for me. Many people, including me, appreciate your input on subjects. Such comments from someone many listen to could cause people to shy away from their products unnecessarily.

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
I appreciate that. I do see your point. My intent was merely to hit some of the highlights of each for OP to compare and see some that he may want to compare to Banks looking further than just peak HP numbers. Many know I have the GDE & turbo brake feature and am a fan of it. I do think PPEI is another good choice which is why I chose it but that pushing our lil turbo harder has a cost. Not to predict an unacceptably short turbo life only to make the point that there are trade offs to consider.

I'm replacing my turbo now as it's the time to do it with the cab being off and the condition of the turbo. The compressor actually still works fine but it leaks both oil & coolant. If the motor did not have so many miles (340k) I would upgrade to a larger turbo. If ever I get another low mile motor or factory long block I will upgrade to a larger turbo. When I showed the race tune numbers the HP directly correlated with what Garrett said our turbo was capable of on their site. Or rather would max out at in terms of maximum air it could flow in stock condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned the Banks Derringer for 7 months. I also have an S&B Cold Air Intake. Its is a pain in the ass to install, doesn't give too much of noticeable power increase but does a little. The biggest increase I noticed was switching oil to Royal HPS, it eliminated all turbo lag. Without the Turner I get 35 mpg at 55 mph on a flat road.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have owned the Banks Derringer for 7 months. I also have an S&B Cold Air Intake. Its is a pain in the ass to install, doesn't give too much of noticeable power increase but does a little. The biggest increase I noticed was switching oil to Royal HPS, it eliminated all turbo lag. Without the Turner I get 35 mpg at 55 mph on a flat road.
Are you saying you switched the oil type, and it fixed turbo lag, (rough shifting)?... Odd first post.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is truly amazing it is that easy to eliminate all turbo lag. I wonder if anyone else switched oil to Royal Purple and noticed this:confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have owned the banks derringer for 7 months. I also have an s&b cold air intake. Its is a pain in the ass to install, doesn't give too much of noticeable power increase but does a little. The biggest increase i noticed was switching oil to royal hps, it eliminated all turbo lag. Without the turner i get 35 mpg at 55 mph on a flat road.
on what truck??

·
Registered
364 Posts

I don't think you are speculating here.

GDE itself said the same thing many times, that they can get more power, but at turbo life expectancy expense.

Their tune is right at max rated safe turbo specs... and this is their info and not me or you making it up...

As we know magic and mechanics don't mix.... I am speculating here :)

So taking this as start point we can say anything more than GDE 28 HP 65 TQ

is possible but by adding more fuel and getting more air by overespooling turbo.

No magic.... dump more fuel in turn get more boost repeat, until turbo is blown apart...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Switching oil well do nothing for “turbo lag” especially considering its not actually turbo lag but torque managment.
What controls how easily the turbo wheel spins and friction on your pistons, OIL. Royal Purple HPS oil is extremely slippery and has like nanoparticles to get into those tight clearances on a turbo. Making the turbo wheel spin up faster and easier.

I own a 2016 Ecodiesel LIMITED with 61k miles.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What controls how easily the turbo wheel spins and friction on your pistons, OIL. Royal Purple HPS oil is extremely slippery and has like nanoparticles to get into those tight clearances on a turbo. Making the turbo wheel spin up faster and easier.

The lag these have in stock form is not a physical thing oil well do nothing to effect it. With a small vgt they could make it spool at idle if they wanted too. The lag is from emissions controls and torque management, neither of those well be changed by an inline fooler. An inline fooler can alter the throttle respond which can help but wont solve it completely.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts

Perhaps you can post some tests showing it is more slippery than other quality 5W40 oils that meet the appropriate Chrysler spec. I am skeptical it is significantly different in 'slipperiness' than Amsoil, Delo, Mobil or Rotella oils meeting the FCA spec.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts