RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was checking the air filter today. Ended up just cleaning some bugs off, vacuuming the bottom of the box and putting it back in when I saw it. Corrosion on the negative battery terminal on that sides' battery. Checked the drivers' side battery and no corrosion. My take is just this one battery is starting to go bad. Not changing now as I am off on a trip next week for a few weeks and detect no issues with starting or operation.

Getting late but tomorrow I will take that terminal off, clean it good and cover it with some battery corrosion fluid. This tells me that battery is not long for operation. Guessing that even if the other battery is still perfect I should change them both at the same time. The truck is three years old.

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Does corrosion = slowly failing battery?

Since you have 2, are they both dedicated to the same functions or are they isolated?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,212 Posts
Corrosion is just the reaction between minute amounts of battery acid and the lug on the cable. AFAIK, they run in parallel, at least they did on my old truck. Cummins takes a lot of Zot to start it.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does corrosion = slowly failing battery?

Since you have 2, are they both dedicated to the same functions or are they isolated?
On the Cummins they are in parallel to do the same thing together. You get one that goes ba and it draws down the other one.

As for the acid issue, the solution I will put on counteracts that. Only thing is these batteries are AGM and should not have any acid reaction on the terminals. After I isolate today a voltage measure may tell me more.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
On the Cummins they are in parallel to do the same thing together. You get one that goes ba and it draws down the other one.

As for the acid issue, the solution I will put on counteracts that. Only thing is these batteries are AGM and should not have any acid reaction on the terminals. After I isolate today a voltage measure may tell me more.
Hi: Captainmal... "More power to you"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I also believe that the corrosion is a normal reaction between the metals, poor connections, moisture , dirt ,ect. If you remove the cables clean it up well with corrosion remover and coat the terminals, put them back on nice and tight I think you will be fine.
If your still curious you can have the battery tested, the new testers are very accurate and can tell you if you have a bad cell, a weak or failing battery, how well it will hold a charge ect..
Batteries are expensive and you have two. I wouldn't give up the fight yet.

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,403 Posts
Capt,

I've never heard of corrosion being a sign of failure. I always thought it to only be a reaction of elements. And yes, if it needs to be replaced, do both batteries.

Batteries can do strange things. I just replaced my 6 years, 7 month old AGM in my Ecodiesel. The battery looked great, tested great, and started the truck well every time. But I discovered it was draining (not holding a charge) after setting a few days. While it was performing well I suspect it was a failure waiting to happen at the worst time. So I replaced it.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,822 Posts
I agree with most, your 3 year old batteries are fine and a little corrosion is no indication of battery issues.

You have a lot of wet down there, I like your idea to use some battery post gunk after cleaning.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the responses.

Drove the truck to the dealer today and got made some interesting observations. No inventory and a lot of interest in them getting old of mine.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Super Moderator
2,719 Posts
I have always used a small amount or film of grease on the battery terminals and on the top of the cables and never had an issue with corrosion. They also have those felt washers that are installed below the cables on the battery post.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Auto part
FRUSTRATED AND FAILED.

This is the terminal cleaned. I do mean cleaned quite a bit before this picture. Tried and tried to get this thing off. Failure. Took that nut off but the bolt will not clear the raised part of the battery to be removed. I was not going to remove the air cleaner for more pry room. Pried, clamped, pulled, twisted, popped ...did it all. This terminal will NOT come off the battery. It turns, I twisted, pried up one side apart and more. Almost looks like the clamp is like a "C" clip on that terminal. Now I think I actually moved the terminal inside the battery. If I did, that battery is ruined.

Scraped and sprayed CRC battery cleaner all over this thing and tightened it back up. No way could I get it off and isolated to measure the voltage. There must be some trick to this terminal design because it will not pry off.

Now, more than upset - I am running it until there is trouble unless some shop I may stop at can figure this out. Anyone here know how these terminals can be removed?

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
980 Posts
Water and baking soda will clean the crap out. Take a wide blade straight screw driver and insert it into the slot of the battery clamp and twist it to spread the clamp apart for removal or replacement. I'm not a big fan of a lot of the 2000-up battery cables Ma uses.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Water and baking soda will clean the crap out. Take a wide blade straight screw driver and insert it into the slot of the battery clamp and twist it to spread the clamp apart for removal or replacement.
Did that. Bent the heck out of that terminal top trying to split the darn thing. It still would not come up.

Hard to believe but I really ripped into the darn thing. Looks like the battery terminal is grooved at the top where the clamp goes around. I pried that top open so there was clearance and still could not pry it up. Tried putting a large socket over the terminal and beating it down, hoping to break anything at the bottom that might be holding it. No luck.

My current guess is the terminal is grooved at the bottom and the bottom of the clamp is into that groove. Only way, if that is the case, would be to remove lots of stuff around the battery, cut into that clamp or find a way to pry the bottom apart. Major issue. Got me frustrated so I quit.

Never experienced anything like this before.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Corrosion (oxidation) is normal, but to get it there has to be air getting in there (oxygen - oxidation).

I always clean the terminals, coat everything (inside and out) with ordinary Lubriplate 105 type (or any brand) white grease, then assemble and tighten. As you tighten the grease squeezes out allowing a good electrical contact and the excess grease keeps air out (no air = no oxygen = no oxidation). Then, if in doubt spray it all over with spray white grease.
Since I started doing that I have never had corrosion.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
POP goes the ....terminal.

Namretsud - you gave me an idea. Gear puller. Dug through my tools, found a large one I used on my tractor and a small one. The small one had prongs that were a tight fit under that terminal. Not a lot of wrench pressure and then an audible "POP" as it came loose. Seems corrosion had done a form of weld to the lower part of the battery terminal that my prying could not break.

Lots of wire brushing and more CRC terminal cleaner followed. Isolated from the truck the battery showed 12.8+ volts. Guessing, without a load test, it seemed fine. More CRC and assembled, the truck fired right up. Kind of wished I had put something in addition to the CRC Battery Cleaner on before assembly but did not. Gonna watch that now. My guess is the battery should not have done that in 3 years. If it starts again then I will suck it up and source two new AGM batteries.

Thanks for the ideas.

Reactions: Patroller8D

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
980 Posts
Before buying two new batteries I would pony up for a couple new clamps and some dielectric grease. It will keep the corrosion away. Glad you got it apart. Battery pullers seem to be less common today with the new non lead clamps.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,822 Posts
That is quite a bit of corrosion for an AGM battery. Way more than should be IMO. I have AGM,s in my RV, two of them. I went that route from regular wet acid cell batteries to get away from the constant corrosion, with good effect too after 4 years, zero corrosion. And those RV AGM batteries get a heavy work out when we are camping.

So you may have an issue, where the seal around the post has been compromised.

·
Premium Member
14,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agree. Gonna watch it now.

Do have dielectric grease. Might smear some on the outside but not planning on another removal unless I see an obvious reason to do so. The gear puller worked but is a bit thick in the clamps to be regularly used to pull battery cables.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
98 Posts
Battery terminal corrosion is typically caused by battery vapors escaping around the battery terminal where it enters into the battery case. Once you get the terminal and the battery clamp clean, pick up those (search) "battery felts washers" and put one under the battery clamp. That will stop future corrosion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts