RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Battery Breakdown

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Captainmal 
#1 ·
Have a thread on batteries where I found corrosion on one batteries’ negative terminal. Discussion followed on whether the battery was bad or just normal. This morning provided the answer.

In North Carolina and wanted to fish before motorcycling in the mountains. No start. Codes on the dash talked of fuel filter and injector pump trouble. Oh oh. The starter did not turn over but I think I heard a relay try to close. Meter showed battery voltage of 12.2 volts. My jumper box did not start it. Found a guy and got his truck near mine so I used my jumper cables. Started right up. That answered the question and debunked all those stupid warnings about fuel filter and injector pump issues.

Auto Zone in Waynesboro. Two Duralast batteries for $450 with a military discount. Could have gotten cheaper ones but why?

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Cloud Tire

They put them in for me with the help of a couple locals. The driver-side battery has a holder with large compartments full of water. I took a screwdriver and hammer and punched drain holes in the bottom of each one. Check yours. Stupid design as they hold lots of water.

The battery that had the corrosion also had a couple of case cracks around the terminal. Guessing that was the problem and causing the corrosion. There should be none on these batteries.

Rectangle Wood Font Metal Electric blue

Last few days both of my remotes worked only when close to the driver side door. I changed both remote batteries but little change in the distance They worked. Now they both work from afar as normal. Good sign there is impending battery doom for you.

Took a motorcycle ride with the wife after this and saw lots of elk - another story. Then just came back with 5 trout I caught in a creek here in Maggie Valley. Life is good.

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad you got it going!
Wondering if this description of you trying to get the cable off the terminal might be the cause of the cracking?

"This is the terminal cleaned. I do mean cleaned quite a bit before this picture. Tried and tried to get this thing off. Failure. Took that nut off but the bolt will not clear the raised part of the battery to be removed. I was not going to remove the air cleaner for more pry room. Pried, clamped, pulled, twisted, popped ...did it all. This terminal will NOT come off the battery. It turns, I twisted, pried up one side apart and more. Almost looks like the clamp is like a "C" clip on that terminal. Now I think I actually moved the terminal inside the battery. If I did, that battery is ruined."

I live watching elk!

#9 ·
Identical to my experience. Strange ... right down to the crack (s) in and around the negative post.

Reading this tells me there might be a pattern to the failure that others may experience.

Reactions: sourdo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.