RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got my truck about 2 weeks ago. 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel 4x4 and it has about 800 miles on it. At around 730 miles I noticed that it was struggling to start slightly and at 775 it plain wouldn't start after sitting for 24-36 hours. Got it jump started and it charged up fine, did some errands and parked the truck. This morning I got in it and it wouldn't start again, had it jumped and took it into the dealer. I assume its something simple, like a loose connection. However has anyone else had a similar issue? The dealer has ZERO experience with these trucks as I think I'm the second one they have sold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What you're seeing shouldn't be related to the diesel, could be a loose connection somewhere or just a weak battery. If you have air suspension make sure the dealer has done the latest flash for that system. Someone here had a broken battery terminal IIRC.

·
Registered
687 Posts
One possibility: Guys with air suspension have been having this problem. Fixes were flashing the computer and/or fixing air leaks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I read on here one guy had that problem....turned out to be a loose connection

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i don't even know what's going on anymore with my air suspension. the 'flash' was confirmed as being applied to my truck.... today when getting my daughter in the truck there was a loud rush of air/gas from the right rear wheel well area, can only assume it was something with the suspension. i don't know...i'm growing a bit leary already at only 1400 miles. on the ED i had ordered when i said i wanted the air suspension the salesman actually said "don't do it"; i mean come on he didn't want MORE of my money? so this is one of those things that i really hope doesn't become a problem. and i sure as hell don't want to have to be going to the dealer for free coffee every other month...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Probably isn't a big deal, just go have it checked out. Every thread I've read re. air suspension problems and threads re. batteries draining over night ended with the problem being figured out and fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys, Got the truck back after three days.... they told me the battery was bad. Apparently they have had to replace batteries in quite a few new vehicles according to the service manager. I've only put on about 200 miles since I got it back, so I guess I will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem with no air suspension. The truck sat in the garage for 3 days and it was completely dead they towed it in. They also came up with a bad battery. I do not believe there diagnosis since we have had it back we have random lights just come and go off. The other day the dome light came on for no reason while driving and tonight while parked the lights on the shifter dial started flashing when the vehicle was off. We will wait and see how long it last it has been in 3X already 2 CEL and a battery.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The original battery draining issue was cured with a system update. Some saw problems associated with the keyfob communications needing an update, others with the air suspension.

These trucks are advanced, so like restarting your laptop often solves issues, our trucks sometimes need software updates as opposed to new parts. Telling you you needed a new battery is par for the old school course for technicians. As their training increases, they'll start to understand the need to shift their thinking when diagnosing problems. Show me a mechanic who thinks carbs are better than fuel injection, and I'll show you a person who refuses to learn new things.

And yup, we all think that dealerships should know how to fix our trucks before we're able to buy them. And nope, that never seems to happen... sigh...

To be fair, though, this problem, and many others, are not EcoDiesel issues, they happen to trucks with any engine option.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I agree with Sportsguy, as vehicles become more and more computer laden, Auto Techs are going to needed to update their skill sets if they want to stay in the business of fixing cars! We just sold my DD 2001 Volvo S80 and that thing had 6 or seven different computer modules in it! Everytime you took it in to the shop you had a $180 diagnostic charge before ANY repairs were even started! No wonder shop rates are at $120+ per hour!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
A couple comments-

Seems like many new cars need a new battery very soon. AS is well known a couple full discharges wreaks havoc with a battery and its life. Many new vehicles will kill a battery sitting 2-3 weeks due to all the security and other parasitic losses. If a vehicle sits for a while before shipping and then for a while on a dealer's lot it is not unusual for it to go dead a few times before it is sold. I believe this is part of the problem. Now most of our trucks didn't sit in dealer lots too long but many were hung up in shipment for quite a while.

Second I had a friend with a new BMW 7 series and his battery was frequently dead. There were two causes, according to the dealer. He hung the keyfob on the wall of the garage when he parked the car. They said when it is close enough to comunicate it is always communicating and takes more car battery juice. Problem is why didn't the keyfob battery go dead. The other interesting thing with the BMW was it would only charge hard when the engine was holding back or you were stopping. He did many short city trips and it never got fully recharged. Claim was they did this for economy. Clever but problematic. Would have thought they would have overridden the charge limiting economy device when the battery voltage was low.

Anyhow, by bringing his keyfob into the house it solved his problem after he got a new battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts