RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost from the beginning with the new truck, I have been getting "Battery requires attention" messages frequently when starting or shutting off the engine. I took it in for that and other random error messages, and they didn't find any problems with the battery or charging system. I drove about a mile and stopped at the bank--got the message. On the dash, battery voltage reads 12.9-13 climbing or accelerating, as high as 14.4 going downhill or coasting! Why would voltage drop based on engine load? It must be feeding all that juice to the spark plugs, LOL!!! I know I'll have to take it in again, but I don't have a lot of faith that they can find the problem if they didn't find it this time. I'm skeptical that the workers who moved the truck didn't see the message. I've never had a problem starting it. At least, the other error messages haven't come back. Have any of you had a similar issue?

PS: I did use the call button and a case has been started, but I don't know what that accomplishes. I will supposedly get a call in a few days. It's something like @RamCares, but not exactly the same.

World Astronomical object Font Science Space

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,910 Posts
So buy another battery. It is 4-5 years old.

FYI … there are no spark plugs in a diesel. It “fires” own compression. Your truck is 2nd Genereation.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
So buy another battery. It is 4-5 years old.

FYI … there are no spark plugs in a diesel. It “fires” own compression. Your truck is 2nd Genereation.
His truck is a brand new 3rd gen. He hasn't changed his sig. He's a real slow roller!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hi: SlowRoller... It could be a crossed message. Maybe you should check your "Headlight/ taillight fluid"!!! Your "Stealership" doesn't do well with EVIC lies either.
As for the call button, at least you didn't get... "Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and an operator will be with you".
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi: SlowRoller... It could be a crossed message. Maybe you should check your "Headlight/ taillight fluid"!!! Your "Stealership" doesn't do well with EVIC lies either.
As for the call button, at least you didn't get... "Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and an operator will be with you".
Oh, I did get to "enjoy" those insincere words and bad music, but not as much as with the dealership. On top of that, I was pretty ticked that the dealership, instead of telling me they were finished not fixing my truck, took it to a satellite lot and buried it in the crowd. When the guy went to get it, he had to come back and get keys so he could move other vehicles to get mine out. I had to waste about 45 minutes waiting for it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His truck is a brand new 3rd gen. He hasn't changed his sig. He's a real slow roller!!
I figured I'd leave the old one in there until I can sell it. It looks like I'll be taking the offer from CarMax, less than I was hoping for. I thought "new truck" "in first 500 miles" would distinguish which one the battery problem was affecting.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Keep taking it back and having dealer document it. Consider lemon law?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Oh, I did get to "enjoy" those insincere words and bad music, but not as much as with the dealership. On top of that, I was pretty ticked that the dealership, instead of telling me they were finished not fixing my truck, took it to a satellite lot and buried it in the crowd. When the guy went to get it, he had to come back and get keys so he could move other vehicles to get mine out. I had to waste about 45 minutes waiting for it.
Hi: SlowRoller... When I was in the business in the 80's we used to call that "The sunshine treatment". Move the vehicle somewhere and say "We did it"!!!

·
Registered
2022 Ram Limited 1500 Patriot Blue Night Edition
9 Posts
Almost from the beginning with the new truck, I have been getting "Battery requires attention" messages frequently when starting or shutting off the engine. I took it in for that and other random error messages, and they didn't find any problems with the battery or charging system. I drove about a mile and stopped at the bank--got the message. On the dash, battery voltage reads 12.9-13 climbing or accelerating, as high as 14.4 going downhill or coasting! Why would voltage drop based on engine load? It must be feeding all that juice to the spark plugs, LOL!!! I know I'll have to take it in again, but I don't have a lot of faith that they can find the problem if they didn't find it this time. I'm skeptical that the workers who moved the truck didn't see the message. I've never had a problem starting it. At least, the other error messages haven't come back. Have any of you had a similar issue?

PS: I did use the call button and a case has been started, but I don't know what that accomplishes. I will supposedly get a call in a few days. It's something like @RamCares, but not exactly the same.

View attachment 93265
your battery is likely fine, it’s the Uconnect system which I’m finding out to be a POS. Call the dealership and have them do a hard reset on the Uconnect, only a dealership can do it. I had this same thing happen to me and if you let it go on, you’ll start getting tpms alerts, air bag alerts, etc. Once they did a hard reset, my alerts went away, hope this helps.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your battery is likely fine, it’s the Uconnect system which I’m finding out to be a POS. Call the dealership and have them do a hard reset on the Uconnect, only a dealership can do it. I had this same thing happen to me and if you let it go on, you’ll start getting tpms alerts, air bag alerts, etc. Once they did a hard reset, my alerts went away, hope this helps.
You'd think they would have known to do that when they had it for two days. Is that a really quick job that I could beg them to do in an hour or two?

·
Registered
2022 Ram Limited 1500 Patriot Blue Night Edition
9 Posts
You'd think they would have known to do that when they had it for two days. Is that a really quick job that I could beg them to do in an hour or two?
I was in and out in 30 mins. My dealership also told me there is a communications module that sometimes goes bad and needs replaced if the hard reset doesn’t work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting thread. My new 2022 Limited 4x4 has shown the same “battery requires attention” error message on most startups from day one (took delivery 3 weeks/950 miles ago). I haven’t had an opportunity to take in into the dealership. So, I went ahead and ordered a battery/charging tester (never hurts to have one anyway). It should be here any day.
Oddly, I also have a random “calibration not successful, check owners manual” error in the dash display upon starting. Calibration of what? No clue. And… the owner’s manual is no help. Shock, I know.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I drove my 2020 EcoDiesel today and documented the charging system. In short, the only time I saw 14V was when the truck wasn't under load, i.e., turning off the cruise and coasting or when going down a hill. Here's a picture documenting the highest voltage reading.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
The system had similar charging characteristics regardless of running empty or towing. 13.0v was the lowest charging number that I saw. In this photo, I'm towing in 7th gear cruising along at 1,900 RPM. For the most part, the charging system stayed between 13.0v and 13.2v the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The system had similar charging characteristics regardless of running empty or towing. 13.0v was the lowest charging number that I saw. In this photo, I'm towing in 7th gear cruising along at 1,900 RPM. For the most part, the charging system stayed between 13.0v and 13.2v the vast majority of the time.
I have observed 12.9 to 14.4 (not towing), so not too much different. Prior to starting it, the EVIC shows 11.9V after it sat for three days. What does yours show before starting it? At least the MPG looks pretty nice (EVIC) after a round trip to the mountains.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gauge

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
What does yours show before starting it?
I'm not sure. On average, I only drive the truck about once every 3 - 5 weeks, so I put the battery on a maintainer/desulfator during those downtimes. So far, I haven't had any low battery warnings.

Reactions: SlowRoller
1 - 20 of 24 Posts