RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,156 Posts
The batteries for the CTD are wired in parallel with each other, regardless if you have multiple alternators. If one goes bad it can take both down. You also need to replace both batteries at the same time.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Like said above if one goes bad it will be hard on the other. That said the one batter can limp along for a while. My brother has gone for over a year in his Duramax with a dead one and a good one. He isn't mechanically inclined. Its apparent to me when it cranks slower, but as long as it starts for him he has no issues.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Always thought they were in parallel but had a series circuit with the starter to go 24 volts.

Now I do not know that. Just something I heard more than a decade ago and assumed it was the case today. That would not be so it the truck would work the starter with just one battery. Good question.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Always thought they were in parallel but had a series circuit with the starter to go 24 volts.

Now I do not know that. Just something I heard more than a decade ago and assumed it was the case today. That would not be so it the truck would work the starter with just one battery. Good question.
Most automotive aka not hd trucks are wired in parallel which stays with 12v but doubles the amps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts