RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Laramie Limited ED a little less than 2 weeks ago. When I ordered it I had the running boards deleted because I knew I was going to put the Amp Research Powersteps on. This is normally something I would do myself, but I have been pretty busy with other things and wanted it to get done in a timely matter. AMP Research had a list of authorized retailers/installers on their website and one of them happened to be very close to my house. They had very good reviews online and I had a few friends who had used them with no complaints. I called them up and got a quote, and they were very reasonable and said it would take them 5hrs. I had them order the steps and setup and appointment to have them installed a few days later.

I dropped the truck off on Thursday at 9am and they called me at 3pm to tell me it was done. I showed up around 5pm to pickup my truck. The steps looked great and worked just as I had hoped. I was very happy. Paid for the steps and went to leave. I get in the truck and when I start it up I knew something was wrong. The dash was flashing all sorts of warning messages. Taillight Out, Reverse Light Out, and the Check Engine light was on. I immediately went back inside and talked to the boss. Told him what was going on. He suggested I drive around the block once and "see if things reset themselves". I wasn't sure what that was gonna accomplish, but I gave it a try. Nothing changed. When I get back to the shop, I realized that the front windows won't work, and the main radio screen is blank and won't turn on. He comes out and takes a look. They fiddle around with fuses and stuff for a little bit and he makes some calls. Decides something may not have gotten plugged back in correctly or a wire was pinched. He says they will take it apart tomorrow and check everything out. He gives me a loaner truck for the night.

I get a call from him the next day, says they took it all apart and checked everything and put it back together. Everything is working now but "they need to send it to the dealer to reset the computer." Luckily there is a dealer right down the street. He says he will call me when they get the truck back. I get a call a little before 5pm, saying the dealer can't get the computer to talk to the truck and they will have to keep it for another day to figure out what is going on. On Saturday, I decide to head over to the dealer to talk to the Tech myself and get some first-hand information. He tells me that none of the truck's computers are talking to each other and he is trying to figure out where the problem lies. He says he may find it in the next 15mins or it may take 4hrs. The dealer says they will call me with more info later in the day. I get a call around 4pm from the step installer saying that the figured out the problem. The BCM (Body Control Module) is fried. Unfortunately, they can't order a new one until Monday. He tells me to keep the loaner truck and will give me an update on Monday. He also tells me that anything that isn't covered under warranty, they will pay for.

Monday afternoon I still haven't heard anything so I call over to the dealer. They tell me that they placed an order for the BCM but won't hear until tomorrow how long that will take to get. They also inform me that the BCM may not be the only thing that needs to be fixed but because it communicates with everything else, they won't know if anything else is fried until they get the working BCM installed.

I call the dealer this morning and find out that the BCM is back-ordered. They say that some other dealers may have one, and they are calling around trying to get one. They will give me an update later in the day.

So this is where I stand today, the truck has now been in the shop for more days then I have driven it. It is all very frustrating. The installer says they did 2 other 2014 Ram's the day before with no issues. The manufacturer says they have heard of this happening once or twice before, I guess I am just lucky. Sorry for the wall of text, but I had to vent about this problem and let you guys know about this issue. Not sure if the installer did something wrong, or if this truck has very sensitive wiring. They only had to tap the 4 wires for the door ajar alert, so the step comes down when you open the door. I'm just waiting to hear how long it will be until I might get my truck back.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dang! Sounds like they shorted something out. I wonder if there is a protocol for disconnecting the battery before modifying the wiring. The computers in these vehicles are terrifying. I remember reading somewhere that they have many more lines of code than a jet fighter. Best of luck in getting the problem resolved quickly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dang! Sounds like they shorted something out. I wonder if there is a protocol for disconnecting the battery before modifying the wiring. The computers in these vehicles are terrifying. I remember reading somewhere that they have many more lines of code than a jet fighter. Best of luck in getting the problem resolved quickly.
No way in hell.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
well i guess the silver lining is, nowhere did i see in your post anyone trying to say you're going to be paying to fix/replace ... so nowadays i'd be frustrated as well, but even more relieved knowing someone isn't trying to pin the cost on my wallet. good luck and let us know how it goes. this is something i'm interested in as well, but have never done on any truck/SUV. i just stick with the normal nerf/stepup bars.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Oh my. Why did I read this?

A Body Control Computer and there's more computers in the truck. This does not bode well for this truck lasting very long or being inexpensive to maintain over a decade or more. My wife told me to get rid of my new truck and get another Cummins today. I told her these new things are all like this now. Meantime I'm running a loaner car two days so far. That's a story with no end right now so I'll wait.

Sure hope they fix it right and you never have trouble again.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Capt! What's wrong with your truck??

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Oh ok so nothing that's broken down.... that's good

·
Registered
592 Posts
:confused: .... I'd like to hear how this turns out.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Yeah - hood issues. Will explain later. Should be done tomorrow. Don't want to bother this posting. We want to know how it turns out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. Heard from the dealer late yesterday afternoon, they found a BCM at another dealer and were having it shipped to them overnight. Hopefully I will have some good news later today.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just got a call from the installer. They have the truck back from the dealer, they got the new BCM installed and everything is working. The dealer refused to hook the steps back up and advised the installer not to either. So they removed the steps from my truck and are giving me a full refund. This is not really the outcome I was looking for. I don't understand how tapping into 4 wires fries the whole computer. I also don't understand how this specific installer has installed this truck on multiple other 2014 Ram 1500's (not ED) without issue. The electronics are the same on all trucks as far as I know. I am now afraid to even look at the wires under the dash for fear of something getting fried. I'm not sure what my next move is.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm glad everything is back to "normal" excluding the steps.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Well that's good, I guess.

Next move is to install some running boards. Fixed ones that won't break.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get the OEM style wheel - to - wheel steps. They look great and protect the side of the truck better from rock chips and debris, especially if you have mud flaps behind the front tires.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Get the OEM style wheel - to - wheel steps. They look great and protect the side of the truck better from rock chips and debris, especially if you have mud flaps behind the front tires.
They also act as a side bumper if you get hit.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They also lower your truck if you go offloading and in tight area's they are constantly getting hit And dented...depends on what u are going to do with your truck.... I installed the same automatics you had and mine have been working fine now for 4 days no issues what so ever, they look way better then wheel to wheel imo, nice a clean! the truck looks higher without the side steps as well. I think you just got unlucky and buddy shorted something out on the install

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris12559 -

Glad to hear someone else has put these on without problem. I'm not sure what to do. I had the stock running boards deleted on my truck for the very purpose of putting these steps on. I am going to contact AMP Research and see if they have any ideas. I am thinking about taking it to another installer and letting them try. Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya me and a buddy did! It's not to bad really, he has done stuff like that before.... let me give you a huge hint.... DISCONNECT the battery before you touch a single wire. also splice in using the best connectors money can buy with dielectric grease and reinsulate everything after!! You should have no problems.... just goes to show ya if you want something done right you have to do it yourself

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Honestly I can't stress how important it is to disconnect the electrical!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts