RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the RAM spray on bedliner compares with Line-X? I've used Line-X before and it rocked. Costs are similar (less than $500).

here's a Line-X example-

·
Registered
613 Posts
Does anyone know how the RAM spray on bedliner compares with Line-X? I've used Line-X before and it rocked. Costs are similar (less than $500).

here's a Line-X example-

I had the factory spray in bed liner applied at time of order. It looks great!

I think I read on this forum that the product is actually the same as the Line-X.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Wow. $500 to do what my $40 pad does and maybe less. I can remove the pad if needed, it's protective on the bed, doesn't scratch and has some cushioning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you get a scratch right down to the metal and it starts rusting out come talk to me. I think it's a great option! You'll be happy you got the spray in liner. Either will be great!

·
Registered
438 Posts
The material is a two part polyuria(?SP). Isocyanate and a resin. It's all very similar.....Line-x, Rhino, Gatorhyde, Ultimate. There are different textures and "feels" available.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My new truck is the first I've ever had with a spay in liner (only because it came with it) - every other truck I've had, the bed was bare only using a rubber pad. The beds all got beat to shit, and I don't even haul all that often - mostly coolers, race car parts, and the occasional dead deer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The factory liner is very nice, very well done, nice and thin and not to "grippy"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My last truck had rhino liner and it was like rubber, took so much effort to slide stuff around the bed....the factory is much better

·
Registered
701 Posts
The ram employee that participates on the other ram forum said the factory uses LineX. He seemed to indicate that the factory was better, comparing to local install (so done thought local was better). He explained the factory installs via robot ensuring a very even application with no misses or overruns. It does look awesome but I have no local install to compare to.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My friend owns a Line-X franchise. He says that Ram does use a Line-X product but it is not near as thick as he does(I agree). My factory spray has one spot where the gun spit a blotch of product on the top rail. If I had it to do again, I would have a local Line-X shop shoot it on. It is thicker, about the same cost, and they can shoot on top of the rails and on the tailgate. I have already rubbed through the plastic on my tailgate by dragging furniture across it. My '99 Dodge has Line-X and is still holding up well.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thicker also means more weight and that stuff is already heavy, I have the factory liner and have had heavy chains, a quad, rims/tires and roofing metal in the back and it still looks brand new (although dirty).
As a said my last truck had aftermarket spray in and this factory is a much better install the the local guy, in my experience!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ram employee that participates on the other ram forum said the factory uses LineX. He seemed to indicate that the factory was better, comparing to local install (so done thought local was better). He explained the factory installs via robot ensuring a very even application with no misses or overruns. It does look awesome but I have no local install to compare to.
My friend owns a Line-X franchise. He says that Ram does use a Line-X product but it is not near as thick as he does(I agree). My '99 Dodge has Line-X and is still holding up well.
The factory spray-on liners are not Line-X. The company that sprays the factory liners (GFX) is now owned by a company called Innovative XCessories & Services LLC (“IXS”). Line-X is also owned by IXS. Although the factory spray-ons are not Line-X they are a very similar product. At one time Line-X was planning to replace the factory product with their own but it takes many years and quite an effort to get the OEM's to qualify, test and approve a process like this. They have decided that it is not worth the effort, especially considering that the factory liners are not being well received in the marketplace. As BShann has pointed out, the factory liners are about half as thick as a properly applied Line-X bedliner. They also do not remove any of the bed bolts, tie-downs or the various plastic plugs installed at the factory. Basically, they just spray over anything and everything that's there.

I'm not saying that the factory spray-ons are a bad product - they're just not quite as good as a Line-X bedliner applied by a competent shop. One of the other things to consider is that the factory liners only carry the manufacturers standard warranty whereas the Line-X liner will come with a Lifetime warranty. Also, if you do have an issue with a factory bedliner, it will in all likelihood be sent to the local Line-X shop for repair anyway - but it won't be free.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I like dead deer in my truck bed. Don't like it when they visit the front at speed.

How can it be that a spray liner does not scratch out when stuff is dropped and jammed on it? The stuff always just looked like some kind of thick paint. Figured it was another money-making scam.
If you are correct and it does not scratch or damage then it could be worth it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Worth every penny capt!
We do a lot of hunting up here at my farm (bear/moose/deer) and it great for that! You throw a gutted deer in the back, blood everywhere after you unload just spray it out and it looks new again!

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Moose...

Have taken lots of deer, bear and elk. Never got a moose as I never hunted them. Shot a group with my 338 Win Mag today less than an inch.

It would be nice to test my bed with a moose.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts