RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I need to buy a Water Tank to haul water at my Colorado Place. Since I have to go a ways to get water, I would like to get as large of a tank as possible to fit in the 5'7" bed. I have a 4x4 Laramie ED with Air Suspension.

I found a 300 gallon tank which weighs 100lbs and with water weighing 8.3 lbs/gal it will add 2500 lbs load. Do any of you have thoughts on this?

I do have a Duramax that I can use, but it has a Shell Cap on it and it is difficult to take off.
IMG_1869.JPG

I do have a well and it does pretty good, but I need a backup to fill cisterns if something goes wrong.

Do you think the ED will haul it? If not, how much do you think it will haul.
Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I did a search a whiles back and seems like someone said after 2000 pounds when they got the overload warning. I forgot what forum, but he loaded 40 50 pound bags of a commodity (maybe flour) and it was fine but when he tried 50, he got the warning. Is there a way to get a utility trailer?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree i'v had 1500 of bagged top soil in the back and the air still pumped it, but I wouldn't put anymore, maybe take 2 trips?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok
I kind of thought it was a bi much. Trailer is a good idea but hard to get to where my upper Cistern is on the mountain side.

a 200 gallon tank would work. or as said above, take two trips.

Thanks for the input. Confirms why I asked.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There's a way for the truck to know how much load is in the bed? Is there a weight sensor or something? If airbags are added to the rear seems like this might fix your problem no?

·
Registered
521 Posts

This is with around a 1500 lb trailer and 4900 lbs of softener salt. Notice where they had to put the pallets of salt on the trailer. That was all of 2000 lbs of tongue weight and I will never do it again. It sank the truck so much it never came off of the bump stops, about 6 inches of drop.

·
Registered
214 Posts

This is with around a 1500 lb trailer and 4900 lbs of softener salt. Notice where they had to put the pallets of salt on the trailer. That was all of 2000 lbs of tongue weight and I will never do it again. It sank the truck so much it never came off of the bump stops, about 6 inches of drop.
Load balance is so important about how your truck is going to handle a load. That's why I can tow 11,000 lbs. and get away with it a little ways that and good trailer brakes.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Whoever loaded that trailer is an idiot, just saying...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Get a used food grade 275 gallon tote (IBC) and put about 150 gallons in it you'll end up with around 1,300lbs. Even with my 3/4ton truck 275 gallon is almost the max I think the max is 300gal of water, I can fill a 330gal tote of diesel and be fine. Although diesel is 7.1lbs/gal and bio is 7.3lbs/gal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts