RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Laramie CC 4x4, '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins Smarty, built 47 series trans
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I chose to haul my ED behind a motorhome, what issues should I be looking at? Am I able to put the transfer case in neutral and not chalk up miles on the odometer?
Or is it not that easy? We will be spending lots of time in the lower 48 and I don't want to be raking up the miles on my truck if I'm not behind the wheel. I've not tried putting the transfer case in neutral to see if the miles are adding up. Is there anything I should watch out for? Can anyone recommend a tow bar for my truck? I have a stout aftermarket front bumper that survived two deer hits at 70-75 mph without a scratch. I thought about putting my '03 Ram 3500 4x4 Cummins behind the motorhome because I'm almost positive the miles don't continue adding on. Please & thank you for any help

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Lol I haven’t seen too many of them manual transmissions Ecodiesels. Cover the front of the truck well. Sometimes rain spray and sand & road grit can hit the towed vehicle in such a way that it can sand blast the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
My take is putting the transfer case in Neutral opens the transmission to allow it to be towed in Park. Guessing that also means any placement of the transfer case in Neutral would cause the vehicle to coast unless the parking brake was on.

Might have to remember to try that and see.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
105 Posts
My take is putting the transfer case in Neutral opens the transmission to allow it to be towed in Park. Guessing that also means any placement of the transfer case in Neutral would cause the vehicle to coast unless the parking brake was on.

Might have to remember to try that and see.
It's a pain in the but, but you can pull the drive shaft, there is also companies out there that make a driveshaft disconnect, I've seen a few of them but it's been a while now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Used to put manual hubs on rear axle, just unlock yo flat tow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts