RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I once got 910 miles on a 26 gallon tank right after the GDE tune. It was a long way to a gas station and the DTE was winding down to 0 before I found a station. 35+ mpg. Never will I let it get that low again, but here is a shot of the dash at another trip, before resetting at the gas station. Just got back from a 1750 mile trip, averaged just under 33 mpg, btw. 140,000 miles, GDE tuned. My Subaru Outback struggles to get 25 mpg, haha.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
I’ve never had a problem getting 30 or slightly better on the road.

Reactions: MR. TED and HYDREX

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
At least with the 3:92's, keeping your speed below 65 mpg is the secret. Ecodiesel has taught me hypermile techniques. If I drive my old Subaru, like the Ecodiesel, I can get another 1 or 2mpg, ie, 26 mpg vs 24 mpg. Hypermiling the Ecodiesel is much more fun with the excellent Alpine stereo and quiet cabin, though, haha. Subaru is loud and has a tinny sounding stereo. Fine for short trips, but the Ram is so comfy!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Distance over at least a full tank. Trip South to Tampa from Central Kentucky, cruise set at 70 mph most of the time. Brand new tires. Hand Calculated at 33 mpg over the 875 miles. I've made the trip at least 6 times around trip, typically 32.2-32.5 mpg. The most recent trip my wife got very impaitent about me travelling "only" 70 and wanted to get home. So, I set the cruise at 80 mph bearly got 28 mpg. Did shave about an hour off the trip. But at the cost of $25 more fuel used.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
994 Posts
With my 3.92 cc laramie 4x4, the best I have seen is about 8.5L/100 kms. My 2015 Ed St base 2wd quad cab with 3.55 gears could do 7.2L/100 kms. Gear ratio does make a significant difference. But with 3.92 and gde hot tune she's a blast to drive.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,546 Posts
I calculate all my fillips. Best whole tank on old GDE was 32.5 mpg have done a little better on only partial tanks all hwy.

The new GDE has topped out at 28 and change this far.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
2018 truck, quad cab 6-4" bed with cover. I got 29mpg with a tailwind on flat I-90 from Utica to Albany ny. typically I get 22-24mpg. but with the E rated 285/65 general tires that I can hardly lift up (lol) I've lost 2mpg.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Max ever was 27.672MPG hand calculated. Be curious how much a difference cab size and bed size affect this, I'm assuming gearing, driving habit and tires, in that order, affect MPG the greatest. Considering the CC with 6'4" bed is base weighted the highest at 5675lbs.

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,546 Posts
Max ever was 27.672MPG hand calculated. Be curious how much a difference cab size and bed size affect this, I'm assuming gearing, driving habit and tires, in that order, affect MPG the greatest. Considering the CC with 6'4" bed is base weighted the highest at 5675lbs.
I bet the one biggest factor is driving style/habits.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I see a slight reduction after changing tires from GY SRA's to the GY Trail Runner AT's, maybe 1 mpg or less. Going from winter diesel to summer diesel is worth more like 2 mpg also. In winter, I average around 28.5 mpg, summer 30+.

·
Registered
2018 1500 Laramie
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've definitely found myself cruising at 70 more and seeing better MPG. It was a drastic shift from my Range Rover which saw 20 mpg regardless of speed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
right at 26 pre tune, and have not checked post, with evic it has shown 28.5+/-, also pre tune seemed my best milage was achieved staying @ 68-9 MPH, and started to fall if I tried to run 75-6 MPH, 3:92.1 rear, cooper AT3 rubber, CC with short box

·
Registered
121 Posts
Graph of my last 4 years of fills is hard to read but there is definitely a cyclical up/down for winter to summer...and then the rocket of $/gal after slightly downward trend

·
Registered
74 Posts
I see some MPG in the 28 to 30 range yet have never been above 26 WITH a EPA compliant GDE tune... could it be mine is 4WD (my MPG is always in 2 wheel high mode)? If so, can everyone state if they have a 2WD or a 4WD? Just curious on these #s. P.S. I put it in cruise, drive 70mph with minimal hills or wind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I see some MPG in the 28 to 30 range yet have never been above 26 WITH a EPA compliant GDE tune... could it be mine is 4WD (my MPG is always in 2 wheel high mode)? If so, can everyone state if they have a 2WD or a 4WD? Just curious on these #s. P.S. I put it in cruise, drive 70mph with minimal hills or wind.
mine is 4WD too and tuned (not like yours though) and like I mentioned for whatever reason above 68 or 69 mine really falls off, 3:92 gearing and stock size tire (Cooper AT3's that weigh 44 #'s) stock ride height, and live in the foothill's of the Appalachians, so a few hills I have not checked it post tuning though, but the EVIC routinely shows it being better than it was pre-tuned

1 - 20 of 45 Posts