RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,547 Posts
If you care about trying to get good fuel mileage easy on the accelerator no cruise control unles the road is flat and top speed 65 or less.
I have a 4x4 crew cab and setting the cruise on 70 nets about what you say pending hills and wind.

wind is huge on fuel economy, one of my best tanks of fuel was with the cruise set at 75 mph and a close to 30 mph tail wind on a long trip.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I do not let mine idle for long, even below zero, warm up for a minute, then drive away easy, and baby her until coolant temp is over 100F. Interesting that running in 4wd auto mode does not lower mpg. I drove in a snow storm about 600 miles round trip to western Mass from central coastal Maine. Speed limit was 45 and 55 on the turnpike, bad snow conditions. Got just under 32.5 mpg carrying a 1,000 lb load in the back on return trip. If I'd driven 70 mph, would have been more like 27 mpg. Living in rural Maine, means mostly 45-55 mph and very few stop signs/lights. I also have my own bulk diesel tank and run summer diesel year round with Lucas winter anti gel and dose with EDT every tank full. I never buy winter diesel and only buy diesel of 50 cetane and higher.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
92 Posts
Per Fuelly, my best tank has been 24.6 mpg and that was almost all freeway driving that we completed recently. Ironically, the truck was completely loaded with gear inside and in the bed but not towing.
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Number

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Best fuel economy with the 2015 EcoDiesel (3.55 gears) is 29.7 mpg driving from Gallup, NM to Pratt, KS (667 miles).
Best fuel economy with the 2020 EcoDiesel (3.92 gears) is 27.8 mpg driving from Gallup, NM to Texhoma, OK (461 miles).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Finished up a long day of driving and was happy to be getting in the 29.5+ MPG over the day. What's the best you've ever gotten over a long drive?
Hi: Wheat... The best mileage I got with my 2016 Laramie Longhorn w/ the 3:55 gears & factory tune was during Covid19. I got 45 days to a gallon. Otherwise best I got was 31.5 miles to a Canadian gal. (4.54L) and 26.3 towing my fiberglass 5th. wh.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
34mpg average on a 2 hour round trip to may camp and back, that was a week after I bought the truck and it was lowered with 31" tires... lifted it and put 34" tires of the same brand and tread pattern and now I get a max of 27mpg on the highway. mine is a 4wd longbed grew cab with 3.92 gears. It was deleted and tuned by the previous owner.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 4x2 Eco Gen III, Laramie crew, air susp. DSA rear end, barn door tail gate
169 Posts
My Gen II 2016, I lived with 28 to 30, once drove it like grandma and got 32 on a 120 mile trip....
My 2020 Gen III, different story, 3.92 butt end, good weather conditions, 36 MPG... not a one time thing... the Gen III hits 30 MPG+ on numerous occassions... I don't like my Gen III, I love it, it's awesome... especially the air suspension... power and torque...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My Gen II 2016, I lived with 28 to 30, once drove it like grandma and got 32 on a 120 mile trip....
My 2020 Gen III, different story, 3.92 butt end, good weather conditions, 36 MPG... not a one time thing... the Gen III hits 30 MPG+ on numerous occassions... I don't like my Gen III, I love it, it's awesome... especially the air suspension... power and torque...
Hi: Major Hassle... Is it a "Major hassle" too?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very impressive, seems like 1 of those unicorn trucks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well….I have no idea what the heck is going on but just got my best mpg at 26.2 which is 1.6 over my personal best. Maybe summer fuel and a broken in EcoD engine? This was a Fuelly accurate mpg and filled up at the same station doing round trips in the mountains at city and highway (not freeway) speeds of up to 70. About a 5th of the ~ 750 mile trip was a loaded truck and uphill. Definitely liking this recent trend. 😊

·
Registered
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
16 Posts
4100 miles on the odometer of my 2022 Laramie with 3.92 gears.
Sitting at around 29 mpg.
800 of those miles were used towing a camping trailer to the mountains and back.
i drive this comfy truck slowly enjoying the ride quality and the view from the cab.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Camera accessory Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
4100 miles on the odometer of my 2022 Laramie with 3.92 gears.
Sitting at around 29 mpg.
29 mpg is very impressive for 3.92 gears. It might be wise to hand calculate your fuel economy to check for accuracy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
29 mpg is very impressive for 3.92 gears. It might be wise to hand calculate your fuel economy to check for accuracy.
Concur. My lie-o-meter evic is always off in the overstated metric and has been off by as much as 5mpg. My error rate fluctuates from a very little/nominal to significant and I've seen no anecdotal correlation (weather, driving patterns, winter/summer blends, etc.) to date. Puzzling.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
I know I was getting well over 30mpg with 3.92 gears when my truck was lowered simply based off the mileage I was getting out of a tank of fuel. I still get about 1.5mpg better overall average in the summer consistently as it dropped for the winter. If I vary from the normal city driving and go to camp the average goes up but drops back to the norm 18mpg a few days after being back in town.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
833 Posts
Put in some Hot Shots Extreme on friday with a fill-up and hit the highway. Saw the best I've ever seen 28.5mpg for the first 60 miles. I should have looked closer and done a forced regen before my fill-up, but at the 60 mile mark it started. By the end of the regen my average mpg was down to 25.7 and a subsequent 180miles of all highway driving only brought it back up to 26.4

With the caveat that these are all from the lie-o-meter because I haven't filled up again to hand calc, I was very impressed by the 28.5 I saw initially, and it was still climbing until regen started. While I knew it would drop once regen started, I was very surprised to see it drop almost 3mpg (I was expecting maybe 0.5mpg). I was even more disappointed when it only climbed back to 26.4 over the next 180 miles.

In the grand scheme of things I'm still happy to see 26.4 for the 250 mile round trip. Even that is better than I normally see.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
833 Posts
I set a new record for myself this past weekend. Put some Hotshots EDT in the tank (as usual) when I filled up, then proceeded on a 233 mile all highway trip with the cruise set at 70mph the whole way. With one quick stop to make my bladder gladder and a regen in the middle of the trip, I was very pleased to see 28.7mpg (lie-o-meter) on trip A. I reset trip B after every regen to keep track of miles between regens, and was surprised by 30.1mpg average there.

Spent the weekend making short trips for a total of 21 miles and watching my averages drop, but didn't document how low things got. Then loaded up some furniture and took an alternate route home of 229 miles. This trip also included a bathroom stop, but no regen. I'd estimate I was about 200lbs heavier for the trip home, and was following a friend which kept my speed above 75 the whole way, occasionally hitting 80mph. When I pulled into the gas station both trip A and B showed 27.7mpg average. I followed the TFL fill rule as I always do when filling up, and hand calc'd a miraculous 28.8mpg for the round trip of 483 miles.

Several years ago I was only able to achieve 21mpg, and that was constant regardless of time of year, driving style, city or highway, etc. After finding better fuel from a different station and starting to use EDT, I began seeing 23-24 in the summer but maintained the 21mpg in the winter. This summer I'm seeing 25 in my normal commute, and was very happy in July to see 26.4 on the highway. Now somehow I'm seeing numbers that I could have only dreamed of. I'm not sure what changed this summer but I'm glad it did.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I never seemed to top 33 mpg but being in Texas it's possible with the 3.55 gears, daily driving was 26 avg.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye
21 - 40 of 45 Posts