RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This being my first new vehicle. I always bought used/pre-owned and being my second truck. This truck i actually happen to care about because its new and I love it so I want to enjoy it for years to come. I hope this thread can be a help to those looking for a cover for their rams and like myself I have never bought a cover before or know much about them until recently when I started researching and taking the time to learn more about them. My last truck was a work truck, 1993 Toyota T100 SR5 long bed regular cab. I will post updates in the thread and the original post.

If you don't mind - could you copy and paste the questions below and answer them! thank you!

If this a duplicate forum then I got to start using that search button more

IF others have questions I will add it to this thread Original Post

----------------

My Initial goal - was to find a Tonneau Cover within the 800$ price range because I knew I wanted a hard folding type of cover with some weight holding capability. As I would like to stand on it or sit on it when folded or when washing the top of the cab of the truck. This might seem not important but to me it is. Also Security is something I take seriously (say that 10x fast) because I have been a victim of theft multiple times and this is something I do not want happening again. Want easy bed access and easy full bed access, and keep as much water out as possible.

---------------

Questions:

Bed Type: (example - Standard bed 6' 4" without ram box)

#1) What brand of Tonneau Cover do you have? Type? Model?
#2) Why did you choose this cover?
#3) What are the pros and cons?
#4) How long have you owned/used this cover? Any Commons issues?
#5) How well does it keep water out?
#6) How is the Security?
#7) What would you add or change to this cover, if possible?
#8) Weight load capacity?
#9) Would you buy this cover again or buy a different cover? Which one and why?

PICS are appreciated as well!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added Update on my endeavor to find the best suited cover for me - 10/20/2015

So after much consideration/reviews/discussions and hours of watching every video out there on tonneau covers and their brands and models and reviewing them again over and over looking for things I am wanting/needing in a cover I have narrowed it down to the following covers for myself:

-Bakflip F1
-Fold-a-cover
*both with the tool boxes*
-Extang Solid Fold 2.0
-Extang Encore
and the Diamondback SE in Line-X
-Peragon

I will go over my reviews on each of these covers for help to others and maybe one day one of these companies will send me a free cover so i can properly make a video review for their covers! (wishing)

First off, I didn't go with the roll up covers mainly because I need the security and easy access to the bed without having to worry about people peeking through. Secondly because I would be afraid of rips and tears and the loose flimsy-ness of it driving down the freeway(not saying that this happens with all soft tops)

PURPOSE: As mentioned in the original post (i will update the original post also)
I wanted a cover that has decent security, is a hard fold type, priced right, full or most of the bed available, good water seals, and I could sit or stand on top of.

The Backflip F1 - I watched numerous times on the site and youtube and read forums of others who own this cover. I am very OCD when buying parts, and based on experience it is best to buy the right part the first time then to cheap out and buy something that you kind of want. As for the review of this cover, the fold panels are great looking, high gloss, UV resistant, and allow almost 100% bed access when folded up all the way (all of this you can find out from their video), So i will mention things I haven't seen the videos talk about in great detail and might be useful for those looking for covers as well. The things I didn't like about the cover that aren't explained in the videos are:

Dislikes:
-pull slam latches, might get worn out from rubbing off the sharp edges inside the bar the cables run through, the latches are placed very closely to the front which can allow people to slim jim it easily.
-no security lock system added
-doesnt fold up in the front
-water drain system, its a gutter system with tubes (which i don't really care for) and the gasket that runs on the cover are one piece meaning they aren't separated. So i forsee fold crease issues happening to this seal over long uses of folding. (will not know how durable this seal is until I see it in person)

-Slam latches allow for easy access/opening of the tailgate end of the cover and fold up super quick, plus there is a latch on both sides of the cover so any side can easily open it, passenger or driver.
-The F1 model allows up to 400lbs of evenly distributed weight but according to autoanything they said it will hold a 200lb person standing on it when folded.
-the rails and the way it mounts isn't like normal rail systems that grab vertically. They grab horizontally as well allowing for a tighter seal from the rails, if the seal from the top doesn't fend off the water then the gutter will grab it. So you have three defenses to the water.
-obvious like was the covered toolbox (bakbox2) and the flush mounted look of the cover, it can also fold into a sign holder for those who might need that function.
-the bakbox2 although smaller than its competitor the personal caddy (which I'll mention below) is cool in the fact that it can hold 400lbs as well and fold up allowing full bed access.

- i think i deserve a free cover form backflip for this review after doing so much research and calling and asking, and if any company does decide to send me one. I will post a professionally made video of their cover online as well lol.
---------------

Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite - I like to compare this to the backflip models and the extang encore. This cover company being 20+ years in the business seems to have tried to fix every issue with the other covers or improve them in areas they thought needed improving. I had a hard time deciding because of this cover and some of you may as well be in the same boat i was in.

Dislikes:
-Like i said i am very particular and craftsmanship/quality is key to me. Nobody wants to go eat at a restaurant knowing the chef [email protected]$$ed their meal that they are paying for. Or want to eat something that wasn't presented very nicely. The only appearance issue I have here is the logo on the cover end. It appears to be a sticker type or printed ink/laser whatever. And from some videos it appears to be wearing off easily.
-The handles which are cool because they are flat appear to be flimsy. By "flimsy" I mean not super high in quality and because it appears to be plastic, I could foresee an incident where someone breaks off the handles or cracks it in half or break the locking system because of the handle ( I wont know for sure until i get one, so anyone else who has one can chime in ).
-The video claims its locks are safe and better because they aren't extended out of the cover and that is prone to freezing and failure. However the seal cap it comes with doesn't seem so robust either. Plus again if a dick were to walk by, they could easily cut off the snap top as it is only a small plastic cap you might find on cheap water bottles. (again won't know until I have on in person)
-The tail gate lock, this is good and bad, for bad I don't like how it needs to be attached to the gate, which might require drilling and I don't want to drill into anything yet...
-havent got a specific answer yet on how much weight it can hold on top

-unlike the bakflip, the FAC G4 folds from both front end and back end of the bed.
-Has security locks that are flush mounted on both ends of the bed like the extang encore. Also comes with tail gate latch for added security
-According to FAC their rails won't rub the finish of your paint and will keep it protected.
-Caps add extra protection to keeping water and other elements out
-No drain tubes, the coverage extends all the way to the tail gate (see video for explanation)
-the tool box (like the bakbox2) is under the cover which is nice (in my opinion). it is large enough to put milk gallons standing up and more room to store than the bakbox2 however it doesn't fold up like the bakbox2. again no weight capacity of this box, might have slipped my mind.
-easily opens front or back of the cover without having to open the tail gate, this was something I wanted in a cover if possible.
-four folds not three

--------------

Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and the Encore - I like these covers for their large openings and they are well trusted company.

Dislikes:
- The extended locks and how they stick out, because it just doesn't look pretty and could get in the way of hauling things on top.
-the solid fold can't open from the front only rear
-The encore can't be folded all the way up to open up full bed access has to be removed completely (but doesn't take long to do)
-does not sit flush with bed
-solid fold covers the caps a bit preventing any possible bed cap add-ons (to some this might not even be an issue)
-wish they made a extang specific tool box with these covers
-the solid fold has cool speed claps but you got to lower the tail gate first and then remove both clamps on each side first before opening cover.

-the locks can be programmed to your specific car key permanently which is good so you don't need extra keys but bad when you sell the truck (or can you reprogram it?)
-The water seals, this is one part I love about these covers. They are split when opened but lock together tight again when closed and you know these won't crease because they can't. Not too sure on water prevention but they look pretty sweet.
-easy removable access to gain bed access
-the logos on these covers are very nice looking, look like they are stick ons but looks good.
-encore has a super wide front end opening which looks very useful in quick loading/unloading access in the front of the bed.

----------------

Diamondback Covers - I love these covers especially in the Line-x coating, these are on the high end side but look heavy duty.

Dislikes:
-from what others have said about their existing SE covers is that they are a bit flimsy and leak quite a bit over the wheel well areas. Some say it is due to the clamps not being enough.
-Price for one being that the added Line-X coating costs a lot more, and the polish look might be too bright when sun reflects off of it.
-does not fold up all the way to allow full bed access, has to be removed panel by panel in about 10-20 minutes to remove all panels, weighing individually at 35-50 pounds depending on model

-You can weld onto the HD cover any add ons you would want
-HD model can support two ATVS on top of it depending on bed size.
-comes with struts to open the lids and hold them up
-comes with tons of various add ons for storage and others.
-can stand and sit on top of these covers
-HD holds 1600 lbs the SE 400lbs and you can load on top of the bed with ease.

--------------

Peragon Cover - I like this because it can be painted to match your truck, their video gives you a good idea of how it would look.

Dislikes:
-although they don't mention it, I don't like the part where you have to push down into the first fold to get it retract.
-takes up about 6 inches or more of bed space because the cover folds into the bed
-paint match is an add on option $$$
-not too sure on how the bearings will hold up to rust and weather elements since it seems to run on a track
-not sure if you can stand on this type of cover
-leaks water a little bit and only near the gate according to reviews and videos

-Price isn't too bad if you want it in black or white
-instead of folding up it folds down so you still have rear view access
-painted to match and its aluminum so its hard and secure and looks good, good alternative to one piece covers
-pull cord to cover bed again

-------------

List of RAMBOX TONNEAU COVERS found so far (rambox owners you are not left out..completely) for this reason I chose a standard bed knowing I wasn't going to be able to get much choices on covers but here is what I have found so far:

-Bakflip G2
-Bakflip F1
-Bakflip VP
-Bakflip HD

-Pace edwards jackrabbit tonneau cover

-retraxPRO MX cover

-Roll-N-Lock M series Cover

-Extang Solid Fold

-------------

>>>>>>>>>UPDATE - 10/25/2015<<<<<<<<<<

I ordered the Backflip F1, because this had about 90% of the things I wanted and liked in a Tonneau Cover. I was shocked at how heavy the Cover itself is when trying to carry it out of the box. But after installing it, it is very tough, thick, and durable. Can support my weight on the cover easy. Its the rails I'm more concerned about supporting my weight. I feel like backflip could have added two more clamps for the rails. Maybe I will order two more anyway for this cover for more security and clamp. The product is very high quality, the cover is high gloss finish which is very pretty. The gutters and rails are very well made and sit flush and allow access for bed cap mods. The seal should be applied close to the Bed so that the cover reaches over it when installing, luckily i did this and it happened to work out fine. The instruction manual is 80% helpful. I was going to make a video but we will see if i get around to editing it.

Love how flush it sits and how strong it is. Just wish it could open up in the front as well. I also ordered the foldable Bakbox toolbox 2 it supposedly can support a person body weight if sat on. So i did and it does support my weight? lol. The mounting of the bak box is interesting, and it feels incomplete but from the way it mounts I guess it can work the way it does. hard to explain.

·
Registered
663 Posts
with all of the opinions flying around about bed covers, I have yet to hear any one mention Truxedo. I know that the hard covers and the tri folds are all of the rage now, but to me they are butt ugly! I had a Truxport by Truxedo on my '99 Ranger, it was on there when I bought the truck used, I had it for almost 2 years, the lady I bought it from had it 3 years and it was on the truck when she bought it. there were no rips or tears on it and the truck lived outside for all of those 5 years. I was so impressed with the quality I bought one for my Ram, no disappointments! And best of all, it cost less than half of what you are looking to spend, it rolls up out of the way quickly and looks great.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Granted I have only had my truck and Roll UpTruxedo cover for 11 1/2 months but it has had snow on it, been through the car was 7 or 8 times and still looks good and has let very little water seep in around the corners when going through the car wash. When the time comes for a new one it will be the same brand. The heave duty Velcro along both sides stays fastened good . I would give it a 5 star for quality.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Unless the truxedo cover mounting brackets changed from 2008 I wouldn't buy one. In addition the velcro stuck less and the cover faded faster and more pronounced than any of my access covers. I had theTRUXEDO for 3 years. If it is truly a roll up soft top you are looking for access cover is the only way to go. In addition to the after market automotive industry they are well respected as a Manufacture of Ag and Commercial truck tarps. I'm on my fourth (4 trucks) cover and I open my covers 4-6 times per day snow, rain, and shine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Truxedo Deuce Tonneau Cover on my 2015 ED. My last truck I had the Truxedo Lo for 10+ years and loved it. I do keep my truck garaged. The Deuce you can open from front or back. That's awesome since anything you put in the bed ends up in the front! I have only had the Deuce since August but so far so good. They do have a lifetime warranty on cover and parts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My last few trucks never had a cover. Just an open bed. Then, about 20 years went by and I got this truck. I did a lot of research and got the Pace Edwards Jackrabbit with Explorer rails. So far, I love it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
On my second Truxedo (had one on my last truck). Very basic, inexpensive, guaranteed for life cover. Folds/Rolls right to the front of the truck and out of the way when needed. Zero issues, would buy again for sure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My old Truxedo roll-up lasted exactly 5yrs before the stitching began to unravel. Frame was still good, and a replacement cover was only $140. I would clean and Armorall it a couple times a year. Was told by their rep, that was the reason for the stitching failure.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My old Truxedo roll-up lasted exactly 5yrs before the stitching began to unravel. Frame was still good, and a replacement cover was only $140. I would clean and Armorall it a couple times a year. Wad told by the rep, that wad the reason for the stitching failure.
Pace Edwards recommends 707 vinyl cleaner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this has been helpful so far. anyone here have experiences with the MOPAR oem tonneau covers? the hard trip folds? and soft top?

I have never heard of truxedo? so i will look into it thanks, keep the reviews coming.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got a bak flip with the bak box. I love my set up so far folds up so whole bed can be used. The tri fold cost about 800. I found plenty of reviews on all. I would do more research than just here. I did some on Amazon too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a bak flip with the bak box. I love my set up so far folds up so whole bed can be used. The tri fold cost about 800. I found plenty of reviews on all. I would do more research than just here. I did some on Amazon too.
I like the bakflip trifold. because of the latches and how easy it is. is it easy to remove completely as well? for times when u want to use the entire bed?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the Paragon cover.....it's metal, they painted it to match the truck.......perfectly! does require some work to put it on.....it folds into the bed so there is nothing obstructing your view ......looks great!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like the bakflip trifold. because of the latches and how easy it is. is it easy to remove completely as well? for times when u want to use the entire bed?
I never removed it yet but yes it is easy install so removing it would be easy but wouldn't due to sticky stuff at front. It folds up and really gives you most of the bed exposed.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My bakflip Fibermax is going back. My second cover and it has failed just like the first one. They stand behind the warranty so that is kudos to them.

Hinges would leak right into the middle of my cargo space.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have the undercover flex. While I understand to each his own, how this is considered "butt ugly" is beyond me. It's functional, dry and easily removed if needed. And, secure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the Mopar cover. I like it very much. I got it from a friend that sold his 2014 1500 and forgot that he had it in his garage. I gave him $300. My only dislike is the corners turn up slightly and the foam seals aren't as robust as I would have expected. But, for $300 it is great!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've got a roll-n-lock that I got used off craigslist probably 6 months ago. All it needed was a small cleaning and an application of 303 to the vinyl.

Overall, it's a solid unit.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts