RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Retrax Roll Top Cover

I'd like to get input on a good solid Tonneau Cover? Any recommendations?
For my last two trucks a Toyota and a Silverado I used a Retrax Roll-Top cover. I carried luggage that I could lock up and stay dry in the rain and roll the top up when I loaded a pallet in the back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is a good question, I have never owned a cover. Ram sells a 3 piece folding cover, looks OK, but I don't know anything about them. Any info helps. Can you have full use of the bed with a cover? loading things in the front of the bed etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
watch out getting an after market cover. took the tuxedo cover off my ford 8 ' box to put on my 2014 ram 1500 ( sorry just couldn't wait any longer for the diesel) only to find the ram box is not standard size !! ?? approx. 60" across the back (std) and 63 1/2" across the front. their is, going to be an awfull lot of po ed people when they get home and try to switch gear from their old trucks. even the frt. stake holes are not std. width. :mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
No offense but just one look at a truck with the ram box should tell you nothing about the bed is standard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no offence taken when I said ram box I was not referring to the box with tool boxes on each side. I did not measure the bed as I was installing a tonneau cover. I measured the inside top of the box where the stake holes are. from ram official site stake hole measurements. back 65.1" Middle 66.5" frt. 68.4" so if you are planning on getting[ a cover best order from mopar it will take the after market guys a while to catch up.OTE=LCR;787]No offense but just one look at a truck with the ram box should tell you nothing about the bed is standard.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check out Bak Industries.Big selection of different models to choose from, then check out different web sites and find a good price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Undercover SE. Stndard, not the paintable or smooth model.
Had one on my 04 2500 Ram and it was the first add on I bought for my '12 1500.
Things I like about it:
- relatively light, about 65 lbs
- excellent fit
- very strong, I can stand on it
- easy to get on and off with two people. I can do it myself but it's allot tougher
- $$$ I paid 739, but I see they're up to 839 - shipping is still free

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned 2 fold-a-covers over the years. My only complaint is that the rubber seal cracked and leaked water after about 6 years of exposure to rain, sun, and snow. Their latest can be unlatched and opened with one hand. Below is a link to several comparison videos.

Photos and Video - Fold-a-Cover Tonneau Covers

Although I've never owned their step tubes, they look nice and I plan to order a set for my next truck. Check them out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have yet to order my Ram, simply because I'm graduating from college in a month and haven't started my job yet, but once I start and have a steady source of income I'll be putting my order in. As far as research on tonneau covers I like the "Access" (brand name) roll up cover and the Bak Roll-X. I like the idea of these covers because they give you the convenience of a more rigid cover while still being able to very easily use the bed of the truck.
Access website- Roll Up Covers | Truck Box Tonneau Cover | Access Original
Bak-http://bakfactorydirect.com/?gclid=CKbYya-T5r0CFVFp7AoddUwAbA
Both of these companies have a wide variety of covers and make them for various models. I'm leaning towards Access because the price on the Bak covers are a bit high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also forgot to mention, both covers have latching mechanisms that will lock the cover down. So if you want to secure contents in your bed, you can do so...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I got the bakflip VP.... seems to be an awesome unit!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I concur, I am moving my Undercover over tomorrow to the new ED. Makes a nice elevated shooting platform too. Strong, lightweight and very durable. If you go through undercover directly they will cut the price somewhat. Paid $660.00 2 years ago with free delivery and a tailgate seal thrown in. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my Pace-Edwards Bedlocker electric tonneau cover. Opens and closes with a push of a switch or remote, locks in any position to keep things secure. I have another post about it with pictures here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the factory cover with my Crew Cab and it is very nice and much better than the Tuxedo aftermarket one I had on my Silverado Crew Cab.
Substantial, good curvature to shed rain and snow, good support framing, and easy to lift on and off. Very please so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed a roll cover from Truckcoversusa. Pricey, but the thing is bullet proof, first like a glove and relatively easy to install. Worth it if you plan to keep the truck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered an Extang Solid Fold for my 6'4" bed. I've had one on my F250 for 6 yrs.
Great tonneau, you can open tailgate without opening cover. You can stand on it, park a 4wheeler on it, it locks down with a spring clamp on both sides. Installs in about 30 seconds!
Bed stays almost completely dry, cargo stays secure, and on my f250 V10 gasser, I got about 1.5mpg increase. Your mileage may vary.
$689 on Amazon, free shipping. Took 2 days to get to north texas.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We installed a Peragon on a Silverado one night at work. What a BEAR and it is not completely weatherproof/watertight. Nice lookig easy to use but allows water in....

1 - 20 of 228 Posts