RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is anything like this available for a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew with 5'7" bed??? I can't find one on the Bestop website... You would think that they would have a product available for a 2 time truck of the year...? Anyone with experience with these toppers... What are the pros/cons etc? Don't want a hard topper. This will only be used on cross country road trips, then needs to be stored in a small place when not in use.

supertopfortruck.png

·
Registered
346 Posts
Never seen this before, but I like it. Maybe if there is enough interest, they will make one. Weird that they don't make it for the 5.7 bed.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've contacted them several times about it (my 2010 was also a 5'7")... and each time they say that the "Interest is too low for that bed size." I think it's a load of bull since there are more 5'7" than 6'4" beds.

BUT.... I've seen a bunch of not-so-good reviews on the Bestop camper. I know they are kings of the Jeep soft tops... but the quality on this isn't good. There is another soft camper, and guys like it better. AND... they have it for the 5'7" bed.

Softopper | Soft Top Truck Caps and Canvas Camper Shell Tops

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had one of these on my last truck (2008 Ram 6'4" bed) for almost two years before I sold it. I had no issues with it at all. In my experience it was easier to remove the top (4 clamps = 5-10 minutes) than to retract it and raise it. Putting it down was easy however at times it was a chore to get the side windows reinstalled without an extra set of hands. The rear window was easy to reinstall because you could reach inside and get the J-channels lined up easily.

In the end, It was a little bulky but easy enough for me to remove and reinstall by myself as a complete unit than lower it.

It always kept my gear dry. I did notice a small drop in fuel economy with it.

For my current truck, I went with a trifold cover from Lund.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've contacted them several times about it (my 2010 was also a 5'7")... and each time they say that the "Interest is too low for that bed size." I think it's a load of bull since there are more 5'7" than 6'4" beds.

BUT.... I've seen a bunch of not-so-good reviews on the Bestop camper. I know they are kings of the Jeep soft tops... but the quality on this isn't good. There is another soft camper, and guys like it better. AND... they have it for the 5'7" bed.

Softopper | Soft Top Truck Caps and Canvas Camper Shell Tops

Awesome. Thanks! This is exactly why I started this thread. I will be looking into getting one of these for hunting trips this fall. Anyone had experience with one of these? They offer a 65" model. But 5'7" is actually 67"... I am assuming that this would be the right one though...? Any thoughts? I have not actually put a tape to my truck bed to measure.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I never knew it exsisted but it looks awesome! Perfect for that few times a year I need the extra dry space!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will have one on my Outdoorsman 6'4" bed in Prairie Pearl Coat.
BUT WHAT COLOR?
Black?
White?
Tan?
these are the 3 colors available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ordered a charcoal one for my 6'4" Outdoorsman (Prairie Pearlcoat).
HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT ONE?
If so how do you like it?
Birddogger, how do like your Softopper now that you've had it a while? I saw a few pictures on this forum and the way it seemed to fit in the back (over tailgate) worries me a little.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There was something along these lines on a truck in the MOPAR booth at SEMA. Rep I spoke with said they were considering it as a future accessory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts