RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TFLTruck finally got around to re-running their MPG loop with the ecodiesel. This time they did a much better job of it and ran it head to head against the Chevy 3L D-max. Both beat the EPA MPG ratings & IMO were a draw with the Chevy besting the ED by 1 MPG.

·
Super Moderator
2,987 Posts
70 mph GM unloaded 33.9, towing 7k horse trailer with hay rack 11.9 60k warranty
70 mph Ram unloaded 33.0, towing 7k horse trailer with hay rack 11.0 100k warranty, cost a couple grand less.
Winner the consumer
Ford MIA and would likely be in third place here anyway but still a winner for the Ford guy who racks up miles and tows only low and moderate weight/drag.
Sheesh slow down to 65 mph likely where Mfgrs design for towing. Towing economy jumps. Also 10 speed GM with 3.23 might be optimal (only?) gear. 8 speed Ram will likely tow more efficiently with 3.92 gear instead of the 3.21. Though they likely would not have done as well unloaded.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Again a little arithmetic seems to be in order. The difference in fuel added to each truck is about one 8 oz cup. I do not believe their filling protocol can duplicate to that degree of accuracy. How far they squeeze the handle on the second portion of the fill makes a big difference on how much fuel is added during that phase. It seems to me (istm?) they should do the second fill by setting the nozzle on the first locked notch. ALthough it is probably still hopeless to get repeatability. If they did their 66 mile loop 6 or 8 times round and round and did the fillup it would likely be a meaningful result.

·
Registered
761 Posts
No doubt the competition is getting better and better. Looking forward to the ike gauntlet comparison.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fuel economy results appear to be much more accurate this time versus the eocdiesel's previous 40mpg. The unloaded test results were very much in line with EPA #s so no smoking gun there.

·
Super Moderator
2,987 Posts
Agreed Howie I thought the same thing when I watched it. How fast he adds on the second fill can dramatically change how much fuel it accepts when the tank is near full as it simply may or may not take it as fast as he squeezes the handle. Not that I think he is trying to put a finger on the scale so to speak but a little experimentation with this the next couple of fills up will show you what I mean. I suspect in general the results are correct.

My thoughts on the gauntlet. Both GM & Ford have sufficient torque and gearing to pull each trucks ideal gear so my guess is the GM would win the gauntlet with more horsepower to pull the gear faster / more rpm assuming the ratings are correct. (which they generally are off some even when all testing parameters are the same) If the Ram that goes up against the GM in the gauntlet has the 3.92 rear it should fair slightly better than the 3.21. I know drop another gear which may or may not make up that difference depending on how much of the particular gear horsepower utilizes vs the taller gear with less HP being utilized. All things equal other than the rear ratio the 3.92 truck should still have an advantage but small because of the number and close stepping of gear choices.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I reckon the ike will reveal the shortcomings. The GM seems to have more than a few advantages like overall driveability, 10 speed tranny, less weight, more power, much less lag, lower and I think broader RPM torque band, exhaust brake, slightly better fuel economy, more optimal EGR design. The 22 gallon fuel tank would be a disappointment for anyone working it but it reduces weight which was probably the goal.

·
Super Moderator
2,987 Posts
Is the overall drivability better for one truck over the other? I don’t know that, I haven’t driven either one. But the 2nd gen is pretty good now doubt it goes backwards. Is the 10 speed better? I suspect not. The 8 speed is well proven to be an excellent efficient & durable transmission the 10 hopefully will.

How much less does the GM weigh? Is that significant? GM does have a 17 horse advantage. I doubt either has any significant lag. Our gen 2 with 3.92 and or a tune or pedal commander doesn’t IMO. Keyword being significant.

Peak torque rating occurs at 1,500 rpm vs 1,600 for the Ram is that significant? It’s 2,000 rpms in our 2nd gen. I tow at 2,100 rpms most of the day now. Always thought that was excellent quite smooth & efficient compared to towing with the Hemi. GM does provide the turbo brake many of us will want to get that from the aftermarket.

There is no such thing as a good EGR design. Hopefully each are less detrimental and less problematic than both Ram & GM diesel EGRs have been in previous designs. Both put a lot of R&D in it now which our government didn’t allow proper time for when they mandated it for diesels.

GMs little 22 gallon tank will suck for TT owners Rams 30 gallon will be great. Reliability is yet to be proven by either companies largely new sheet designs. I like the inline but I also strongly favor the CGI block over aluminum.

Seems like a real good neck & neck horse race to me with both trucks & the consumers being winners.

Perhaps it comes down to price, warranty, who would you rather deal with as far as a local dealership, and just plain old personal preference.

·
Registered
447 Posts
chevy doesn't have air suspension, it's automatically off my list. Once you have that air suspension and load up the truck frequently, or attempt to hook up a trailer without the air, you just sigh.

the difference in warranty is the most underrated comment in the topic so far. 60 vs 100, thats HUGE for most people. I put 30k on my truck in just over a year, I'd need a new truck every 2 years if you're a warranty type. I have 120K warranty on mine which is 4yrs, just about the time everything rusts out breaks by design.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is the overall drivability better for one truck over the other? I don’t know that, I haven’t driven either one. But the 2nd gen is pretty good now doubt it goes backwards. Is the 10 speed better? I suspect not. The 8 speed is well proven to be an excellent efficient & durable transmission the 10 hopefully will.

How much less does the GM weigh? Is that significant? GM does have a 17 horse advantage. I doubt either has any significant lag. Our gen 2 with 3.92 and or a tune or pedal commander doesn’t IMO. Keyword being significant.

Peak torque rating occurs at 1,500 rpm vs 1,600 for the Ram is that significant? It’s 2,000 rpms in our 2nd gen. I tow at 2,100 rpms most of the day now. Always thought that was excellent quite smooth & efficient compared to towing with the Hemi. GM does provide the turbo brake many of us will want to get that from the aftermarket.

There is no such thing as a good EGR design. Hopefully each are less detrimental and less problematic than both Ram & GM diesel EGRs have been in previous designs. Both put a lot of R&D in it now which our government didn’t allow proper time for when they mandated it for diesels.

GMs little 22 gallon tank will suck for TT owners Rams 30 gallon will be great. Reliability is yet to be proven by either companies largely new sheet designs. I like the inline but I also strongly favor the CGI block over aluminum.

Seems like a real good neck & neck horse race to me with both trucks & the consumers being winners.

Perhaps it comes down to price, warranty, who would you rather deal with as far as a local dealership, and just plain old personal preference.
Torque hitting 100 RPMs lower is preferred for towing and a desireable diesel trait. But in this case it might be an inline versus V trade off. And at the high RPM the inline hits with more HP. Seems like a winning combo to me. I'll have to check on the broader RPM band as well.

I'm sure there'll be a larger fuel tank option.

There's not many of these things around to test drive for now but all reviews I've seen say driveability is night and day different with heavy preference to the inline 6/10 speed. It doesn't look like much of a competition unless I'm biased or heavily weigh interior creature comforts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts