RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got to drive all the HD brands in one day.
Where I work, we have a ford super duty and a Chevy 2500. Today I did some pick up and deliveries with both and then drove my 18 3055 home.

First the Ford. Wow was I disappointed. I drove it empty and with a goose neck trailer loaded with lumber. I'd guess 8K ish total weight.
The ride was horrible. empty was not too bad, but loaded with the trailer? I was afraid to drive over 50. I felt like it was on the verge of out of control. Power? Well it was a dog loaded or empty.

Chevy, Nice ride. Empty had plenty of power, and went down the road nice and smooth. I pulled a piece of equipment with a bumper mount pintle hitch. I think the unit is about 9-10 K. The truck handled it very well, still ran smooth and still had plenty of power. The engine did seem to rev higher and was much louder than my Ram.

Last was my Ram, of course I'm biased, but I really think the ride is superior, and empty, the power is better. My Ram is also much quieter. I have not towed anything with my ram yet, But I think I'm going to hook up to the same piece of equipment one of these days and take it for a spin for a good comparison.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quite the opposite of what most report, Ram is usually by far the least powerful, not necessarily in numbers, but in seat of the pants feel and in on road testing.
The 2020 Ford wipes the floor with the other two in virtually every test.
The GM and Ram are comparable right now. The Ram has had and continues to have the best exhaust brake handles a load downhill and slowing down very well.
Ride seems to be subjective, the 2017+ Fords are considerably better than the earlier model years. Maybe a bit more information would help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
My brother has been very unhappy with his F250 Powerstroke for towing. Not for power or economy, just that it does not handle trailer or bed loads well. I suggested that he try some airbags like I have on my Ram. Though his may be a 2017 or 2018, not sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I moved from 2014 ED Ram Limited with 60K trouble-free miles to an F350 Platinum. The first road trip was SoCal to Austin, TX with ~6,500lbs enclosed trailer. Speed limits in TX are routinely 80 with folks driving 85mph-ish. The F350 was absolutely flawless. I knew I'd take it in the shorts with mpg - but it has been worse than I had thought. With 20K + miles on the F350, it's lifetime average is ~12.3mpg!! HOWEVER, the ride quality is simply amazing. My ED had the air suspension and I LOVED IT, but honestly the ride quality of the F350 has been absolutely fine in this regard. But the mileage.... UGGGHH!

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Would be nice to know what year each truck was. Both Duramax and Powerstroke have made recent changes that can cloud some comparisons. Same can be said for Ram with the new Cummins engine in 2019.

Also think the Ford is the thirstiest fuel drinker of the bunch. That last report does not surprise for any recent model year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My F350 4x4 CC Platinum is a 2018. I'm really, really happy with the truck in virtually all respects but approx 2x as thirsty as the ED it replaced. That said, no issues with coolant or oil temps and can go as fast as is safe up virtually any grade with any load. Torque is a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
My F350 4x4 CC Platinum is a 2018. I'm really, really happy with the truck in virtually all respects but approx 2x as thirsty as the ED it replaced. That said, no issues with coolant or oil temps and can go as fast as is safe up virtually any grade with any load. Torque is a wonderful thing!
Close friend bought his 2018 2500 4 x 4 about the same time as I got my 2019. They do have different engines but pretty much look the same, except for the front end. Now I know yours is a 3500 but his fuel mileage is over 20 mpg on normal runs. Not sure what he does in town. I used to do 17 mpg overall. Now I am consistently doing 20 mpg overall. My ED did 26-27 mpg overall.

Leads me to reflect that I am doing about 30% less fuel mileage with my Cummins compared to the Ecodiesel. Now while towing that percentage is probably 10% in favor of the Ecodiesel.

Now this friend of mine came to the Cummins from two different Hemi's. He is elated with the fuel mileage and power of his 2018 Cummins compared to those two Hemi's.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Powerstrokes seem to be the most thirsty, haven’t heard to much on the 2020’s, other than some say it’s much improved. I get 14 in city and 16-18 on highway in both my 6.7’s, that’s about 2/3rds of what the ecodiesel did. I’ll trade it for reliability though.
Duramax engines aren’t usually on par with Cummins for fuel economy, only it seems to vary greatly between people and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts