RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the one year ownership of our ’15 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel we’ve had to change the fuel filter twice.

• The first time: no drain from the pesky yellow drain valve and a diesel fuel bath and fuel spill on the garage floor when tightly installed filter housing was removed with a strap wrench.

• The second time: no drain from the pesky yellow drain valve and a diesel fuel bath and fuel spill on the garage floor when the plastic bag around the filter housing slipped as the filter housing was removed with a strap wrench.

The need for a filter housing removal tool was slimey-stinking obvious. And the yellow drain valve, more on that later.

LT-ECOFILTERTOOL_RAMFORUM.jpg

Geno’s Garage is happy to introduce a billet aluminum Fuel Filter Removal Tool. The four indents go over the nibs on the filter housing. The tool has a 19mm hex head for your wrench or socket.

With the Geno’s Garage tool there will be no more fuel bath and/or fuel spill.

Now, how about the pesky yellow drain valve? With the filter housing removed we closely examined the valve and it should work. It doesn’t. (At least with the two housings we tinkered with.) When we broke/cut the top off the valve to allow it to come out you can remove the valve completely.

How about this: forget the pesky/broken yellow plastic drain valve. Our tool ships with a replacement brass valve that can be removed with a 17mm wrench or socket to drain the fuel.

You can get the Fuel Filter Removal Tool for your ’14-’15 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel truck at Geno’s Garage for $59.95. Order by phone at 800-755-1715 or shop online.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We believe you'll like how much better it makes the filter change. Let us know what you think once you have had a chance to use the tool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tsoileau2003,

It may be possible. The valves we currently sell seal with an O-Ring at the base. The factory drain plugs seals on the inside of the drain.

We will locate a drain valve and try it out to see if it works.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Changing Fuel Filter With Geno's Filter Tool & Drain Plug

I found this on Geno's Garage website. I think it's a great video illustrating how to change our fuel filter using Geno's Garage Fuel Filter Tool & Drain Valve.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Good video...except they held the darn camera the wrong way!!

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
I'm Polish.

Knowing there was a flange on that screw that stopped the screw from falling out, I loosened the screw and got little to no fuel. Thought about it for ??? and just pushed up on the screw so that flange is not sealing over the hole. Out came the fuel.

As for the "fuel removal tool", I like it. Just don't understand why the filter was not screwed off by hand after breaking it loose with the strap wrench? If I could figure it out, ALL of you should have figured it way before me. Still really do think the tools work. Just not sure they are necessary and now remember, the fancy brass screw can now fall out completely. If you like that then just cut off the holding flange and use what's left of the plastic screw. A drain-valve screw would even be nicer.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm Polish.

Knowing there was a flange on that screw that stopped the screw from falling out, I loosened the screw and got little to no fuel. Thought about it for ??? and just pushed up on the screw so that flange is not sealing over the hole. Out came the fuel.

As for the "fuel removal tool", I like it. Just don't understand why the filter was not screwed off by hand after breaking it loose with the strap wrench? If I could figure it out, ALL of you should have figured it way before me. Still really do think the tools work. Just not sure they are necessary and now remember, the fancy brass screw can now fall out completely. If you like that then just cut off the holding flange and use what's left of the plastic screw. A drain-valve screw would even be nicer.
Good questions, but given the low visibility area & working overhead, Murphey's Law reins supreme! If you are afraid of loosing the brass drain bolt, you could always drill a hole thru the head & safety wire it to the canister or something above that won't move...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Loosen the yellow fitting and then push up on it and the fuel comes out....but I do like the cannister tool...good job.

A a little pet cocktail valve that you could attach a hose too would be even better and cleaner for removing the fuel from the cannister

saskhunter

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pqw3413,

Good to hear it made the task of removing the fuel filter easy for you. Hope it was less mess which was the reason for making the tool in the first place.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Mods,
Can you link this with the thread I started with the Geno's video? It may make it easier for everyone to see both together. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Love the idea of the tool but as was posted earlier the stock fuel drain work just fine if you know how to use it. Use a screwdriver (philips) turn counter clockwise until it stops turning and push up on the center. Wear gloves as you will get some fuel on your hands the same holds true for the brass plug.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts