RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I filled my tank and put in roughly 15% biodiesel. Not 15 minutes after I got a check engine light. I pulled the code and it told me the catalyst was too hot. After researching the error I went back to my truck and ran it to another stop for the day the light was off and no more error code.

So after filling this morning I put over 100 miles on the truck. I did notice that there is a little more lag out of the gate and truck is not getting as good of mpgs. I am getting 22-23mpg over the 100 miles with 50% highway. I do notice that the truck seems to be a little quiter around town and at idle. It could be in my head but it seems to run smoother on the bio than without.

Have any of you run it in your truck and what are your experiences?

I also want to know have any of you made your own biodiesel? I want to try making some, but I am afraid I will mess it all up.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I use to make Bio when I had my cummins... and I plan on making more soon since I now have my EcoDiesel. I have about 40gal of oil waiting.

I haven't used any large amount of Bio yet in my ED... but that's only because I haven't had a chance. But, in PA... we have a minim of 2% in all Diesel Fuel... and it can be as high as 10% depending on the output of the local Soy-Bio plants.

With all that said... we are allowed 20% Bio. So... I'm going to say that you either got a bad batch, or the CEL was a fluke.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Running between B5-B60+ in my Ford 6.0 scared me the first time I put over B20, the truck was south quieter I thought something was wrong. I feel a little less go off the line but that goes away after it gets moving.

Bio has less BTU per unit so you may see a drop in MPG's but that's offset by the better lubrication and higher cetane in most cases along with being cheaper. In Houston it's ~0.15-.20 cheaper @3.50/gal up in DFW it's about 2.99/gal

We'll see about running b20 in the ecodiesel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do think that the CEL was a fluke. I do like how much smoother the truck seems to run. Here the bio diesel is quite a bit more expensive than regular diesel, $.60-$.70 more per gallon. That is why I am curious about making my own. I only ran this tank because I could. I don't plan on making a habit of it at $4.50 a gallon. If I could make it for cheap in small batches a few gallons here and there would be nice. Plus from my understanding it will also help clean out the rest if the engine, except filters.

·
Registered
274 Posts
mORE EXPENSIVE? tHATS STRANGE, IT WAS THE SAME AS #2 FOR THE LONGEST BUT AS SUPPLY INCREASED PRICE FELL BELOW DIESEL #2

·
Registered
214 Posts
Biodiesel in Arlington, Texas 2.50 per gallon. That's what I found on an internet search.
What happens if you fill up with it? I don't want to be the first, I'll be watching others to see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've run through almost a full tank of B20 and noticed no real difference. A slight drop in MPG's but that could be do to driving harder/less highway miles. I will probably mix it up and run regular most of the time and the B20 every few tanks as I do like the higher lubrication properties and it was a few cents cheaper than regular diesel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use to make Bio when I had my cummins... and I plan on making more soon since I now have my EcoDiesel. I have about 40gal of oil waiting.

I haven't used any large amount of Bio yet in my ED... but that's only because I haven't had a chance. But, in PA... we have a minim of 2% in all Diesel Fuel... and it can be ahs high as 10% depending on the output of the local Soy-Bio plants.

With all that said... we are allowed 20% Bio. So... I'm going to say that you either got a bad batch, or the CEL was a fluke.

How do you make your own bio diesel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts