RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Checked the manual on my brand new ED (picked it up on Saturday!-- I love it-- got my first door ding today :mad:)

The manual says that up to 20% BioDiesel is okay, as long as you change oil more often.

I have a co-worker who is making bio-diesel and running two HD 1990s Cummins equipped Rams off of 100% BIo.

Any thoughts, concerns, advice about me purchasing from him and mixing in at about 10 % when I fill up?

Does anyone know if the fuels will mix in the tank if I simply add the bio after filling up most of the way with normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
You should be ok at 10% as long as he is making pretty decent biodiesel. They will mix in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bio diesel is one of the best additives for diesel fuel. I made a small batch this weekend,but only use it to treat my fuel at about 12oz per tank. It will give the inside of the engine a good cleaning at the 10-20% ratio that you mentioned. Anything over the 20% will start attacking the fuel lines and make them fail prematurely over time and your fuel filter will need to be replaced more often. If you do go with the higher numbers I would suggest keeping a spare fuel filter with you at all times. It has 10% less energy than regular diesel, but you can make it cheaper than the current market prices, so its actually a very cost effective option. My only concern is the quality of the bio your buddy makes. An engine from the 90's can run on the stuff all day long with no issues due to different emissions. Our trucks today have very complicated emissions and high levels of bio can cause you some issues. High concentrations can affect the injector in the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and cause the truck to go into a reduced power mode because it does not burn as hot as regular diesel and will leave the DPF clogged. That will require you to go to the dealer. My opinion is to use it with caution and dont exceed the 20%. Oh ya make sure that your buddy makes good stuff. You will know if its good stuff because the water in fuel system notification will be a first indicator that he doesnt know what he is doing and your risking a very expensive engine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If he is making good, dry, clean Bio... then there isn't any issues. It will mix right in, and it has great lube properties to keep the pump, and injectors alive.

BUT... a 90's Cummins is still a VERY industrial engine. They can pump, and run on old, unfiltered motor oil, or transmission fluid without an issue. (he can run on very dirty, and wet Bio)

So... do your own research, and get a sample of his fuel... and go from there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey All,

Checked the manual on my brand new ED (picked it up on Saturday!-- I love it-- got my first door ding today :mad:)

The manual says that up to 20% BioDiesel is okay, as long as you change oil more often.

I have a co-worker who is making bio-diesel and running two HD 1990s Cummins equipped Rams off of 100% BIo.

Any thoughts, concerns, advice about me purchasing from him and mixing in at about 10 % when I fill up?

Does anyone know if the fuels will mix in the tank if I simply add the bio after filling up most of the way with normal?

Thanks
I can pretty much guarantee that if you have a fuel system problem and a fuel analysis comes back with some kind of impurities you will not be covered under your warranty. I would not do it on a brand new 35-55k truck. Buy blended bio if you want, here in IL we can purchase up to 20% Bio at the pump and don't even have to be told the % of Bio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've run bio through both a 2006 Sprinter and a 2003 VW Golf in every concentration in all conditions from sub zero in a Colorado winter to hot summer weather and never had a single issue. I plan to use B20 in my new ED in order not to void the warranty. As soon as the warranty period ends, I'll be pumping B99 whenever possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts