RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear some discussion on biodiesel since there doesn't seem like anyone has really brought this up as of yet. Has anyone used it? How is the availability in your area? How has it performed?

Here in South Florida it appears that they have built some rather large holding tanks for fleet use, mainly an alternative for when we have hurricanes and they shut down the port and we have trouble getting any sort of fuels for sometimes rather long periods, but there are a few public facilities that have it and there are minimums at some places that don't seem practical for the average user. The electric company vehicles use it and any trucks from out of state that come here to help with repairs of power lines are pretty much forced to use it when regular diesel is unavailable.

I tried E85 in my Ram once....worst fill up ever!! The price seemed right at the time but as soon as I was pulling away from the pumps and trying to get back on the turnpike I noticed that there was a considerable loss of power and the economy took a nose dive. I basically drove around just trying to empty the tank so I could get regular gas back in the tank and I never tried it again. That's why I was wondering how the performance is with biodiesel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bio diesel burns much cleaner but the modern DPF doesn't like it which is why they don't recommend use or 20% it is about .40 cheaper here in Houston but just like E85 it has less energy per unit.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The new Ram Catalog I got from the dealer says this will handle B20. Bio-diesel is also the best additive for fuel lubricity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
For 1 summer I ran WVO (waist vegetable oil) in my duramax. It is different than Bio fuel. Bio fuel is mad from oil or fats and so many other things. Running WVO you just filter used vegetable oil and mix it with diesel. I ran 5gal WVO with 20gal. Diesel. The truck ran great and I got about 1-1.5 MPG better. Down side was it was a big pain and messy. It took a long time to run the oil through a 5 micron filter. It was A fun experiment but not worth it to me.
Now I'm not suggesting running WVO in a modern diesel but I would have no problem running b20.

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lly

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not only does this engine/fuel system support Bio-diesel, but it increases the amount of miles between oil changes depending on your blend. The higher the amount of Bio the longer the interval. The manual's "Diesel Supplement" which you can download from Ram has the actual mileage/blend chart.

Depending on the oils used(when fresh, not used for frying), homemade Bio-diesel can have a lot of anti-oxidants and actually improve the condition of your engine(similar to the synthetic additives in fuels like Shell). I'd imagine that commercial bio-diesels have similar chemical properties.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use to produce bio diesel from used vegetable oil and ran it in my 08 Duramax LMM. The LMM advised to use up to 5%, but I ran it up to 50%. It cleaned everything up in the engine and fouled up my fuel filters within a few thousand miles. I was able to produce it at about $1.30 per gallon if I got the oil free from a local chinese food restaurant. Producing it was a lot of work, but when fuel was over $5 a gallon in the late 2000's I was making out pretty well. I still have the machine, but not the time to do it anymore.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm looking at getting a 05 LLY or 06/07 LBZ for the toy hauler

Not only does this engine/fuel system support Bio-diesel, but it increases the amount of miles between oil changes depending on your blend. The higher the amount of Bio the longer the interval. The manual's "Diesel Supplement" which you can download from Ram has the actual mileage/blend chart.

Depending on the oils used(when fresh, not used for frying), homemade Bio-diesel can have a lot of anti-oxidants and actually improve the condition of your engine(similar to the synthetic additives in fuels like Shell). I'd imagine that commercial bio-diesels have similar chemical properties.
Other way around. Using biodiesel requires shorter drain intervals.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn, you're right. I looked at that diesel supplement and it says not to exceed 8,000 miles, which is actually less than the normal interval. Damn that novel of a manual.

I'm a once a month guy 8,000 seemed absurd

·
Registered
279 Posts
Judge, I knew a local guy who made it in his garage, the guy was a retired research engineer, also lawyer, neat old guy. He had a set up that would be the envy of any chemistry lab.
My nephew and I spent part of an afternoon with the old gent looking at his operation, understanding how it worked, different chemical phases and application of heat etc.
My recollection was the guy said the key is keeping the fuel clean... he had 2 or 3 different filtration stations for the fuel, and one last filtration..

As someone commented earlier, spending 50K on a truck, I'll just get gas at the pump. We have fuel perks at a local grocery store, (Giant Eagle) and the fuel station just got a diesel pump a few months ago. I'll use our fuel perks at least 1 fill up per month, so that will offset cost of diesel some.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm looking at getting a 05 LLY or 06/07 LBZ for the toy hauler
I'll sell you mine when I finally order the ED. Seems like asking price for them is all over the place. I have seen them for sale anywhere from 12k-18k with similar mileage.

·
Registered
396 Posts
PA is a long way from Houston
seems like Houston is the place to buy the ED, I'll drive mine down and drive the ED back.

I'm joking of course

·
Registered
231 Posts
I only had one tank, but did a four phase process which took a minimum of 48 hours. After that it went through a fuel filtration to get out any water then into the tank. Worked good, but way time consuming to get everything together. If diesel got to $5 a gallon again I might think about starting up again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
First, sorry to bring back this thread from the dead. I just found that there is a Bluesun B20 Biodiesel pump near (~15mi) my house. What effects, good or bad, has anyone who has ran some B20 noticed?MPG increase/decrease? Fuel filter problems, etc?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts