RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime since I last changed the engine oil about a month ago the coolant reservoir started showing signs of an oil derivative within it.
I wouldn't call it sludge, it feels somewhat crumby and upon rolling it between my fingers had a tar like sticky feel to it. The condition hasn't gotten any worse. Due to replacing the radiator I drained the coolant into clear containers and it didn't show any signs of oil in it. Is this the beginning of a failing oil cooler? Should I replace the oil cooler asap with an oem or aftermarket unit? Are the factory units reliable now, don't really need an aftermarket since I don't tow much at all but will go that route if the oem oil coolers are still prone to fail. Which brand of aftermarket oil coolers do you recommend?
My truck is a 2014 that got deleted when I added the gde turbo kit.The truck has 156,000 miles on the odometer and is mainly used for a daily 2.5 hour commuter. Checked the oil on the dipstick and it looks clean.
Also I have been loosing coolant out of the coolant reservoir drain hose due to a faulty reservoir cap that I replaced today. The faulty cap I think caused too much pressure in the system and might have caused my radiator to leak out of the top right corner. Could the faulty reservoir cap have anything to do with the blackish substance in the reservoir? Please let me know what you think, your responses are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
EGR cooler leaking oil into the cooling system but you say you have deleted it. Have not heard of any issues with the OEM oil coolers other than a few. But if the egr cooler is gone the oil cooler would be the only other way oil could make it into the radiator that I know of.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When oil coolers fail they almost always fail big, that doesn’t look like an oil cooler failure. The best thing would be to pull a sample of oil and coolant and get them tested to see if either is contaminated.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I’m speculating ,but I believe they are thinking oily carbonized soot leaking into coolant system.... via EGR.....Not sure though.....This one looks different from other coolant contamination’s ... I’m Curious .....:confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Off topic but your the first one I think I’ve seen running the GDE turbo. How had it been treating you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
Looks like clean fluid but some kind of soot ABOVE the fluid level on the top of the reservoir.

It is like coming out of the air instead of the fluid.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Im betting the EGR cooler is still on the truck and is your culprit. I take deleted to mean GDE off road tune and dpf/scr gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The egr cooler was deleted at the same time the off road tune and the GDE turbo kit were installed about 60,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The egr cooler was deleted at the same time the off road tune and the GDE turbo kit were installed about 60,000 miles ago.
That's strange, as I'd guess it was exhaust bubbles depositing soot in there... My old 2004 Jetta TDI had a similar thing, and it too had an EGR cooler. Could it have gotten there earlier and you just didn't notice?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's not the case, I have recent pictures of a clean coolant reservoir. I've been checking the reservoir due to some coolant loss issues.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Ramnit..... You mentioned you have a GDE turbo kit , curious how hard did you run your truck? Did you run the pudding out of it ? Did you pay attention to turbo boost,if so do you recall max boost pressure?

BTW First look at bottom of oil cap for brownish colored foam ,Get a dye kit and check your coolant for exhaust gases, this should answer at least 1 question.... Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Could these deposits be from the new radiator? ......or from the Turbo cooling unit which may be related to the coolant loss?

Why the new rad? Did the original let go and you had an overheat condition? (head gasket).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you forum members for all the great replies.
I will take oil and coolant samples in the near future and send them in.
As far as running it hard I only did a couple of 0-60 runs the most recent was last October. Other than that just spirited driving. I don't know where the boost pressure is running.
I rinsed the new radiator with distilled water before installation. The upper right corner of the old radiator developed a slow leak. The coolant level never got below the seam of the reservoir, and the truck never ever exceeded normal running temperature.
Sure hope it's not the head gasket as that repair would be nearly as costly as a new motor.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts