RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just took delivery of my truck yesterday and I am still trying to figure everything out on it. I ordered the truck with the block heater and I cannot find it for the life of me. Is the cord hidden somewhere under the truck?:confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is from the DodgeTalk.com web site. One of the DT members had the same question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DodgeCACares to HellbentPH,

All Rams built for the Canadian market come standard with a engine block heater; in the United States a cold weather package is optional. The engine block heard cord is routed under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle near the right head lamp assembly. It is located between the front grill and the radiator, but underneath the black upper seal.

If you are unable to locate it, I would suggest reviewing with a Dodge dealer. Please let me know if you have any questions.

HellbentPH finally found it lol they had routed it at the dealership or wherever to the left side up near where the battery is mounted. Big relief with -20 nights on the horizon :)

I hope this helps.
:D

Reactions: gawoods

·
Registered
25 Posts
Read the manual. It'll point you in the right direction. The plug is hidden under the front left grill...looking at it from the front. I found it really quickly when I knew where it was, roughly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I just took delivery of my truck yesterday and I am still trying to figure everything out on it. I ordered the truck with the block heater and I cannot find it for the life of me. Is the cord hidden somewhere under the truck?:confused:
Cord is behind the passenger side headlight hidden underneath the flexible panel that goes across the top of radiator bulkhead.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I read the manual and my manual has nothing on the block heater. So I called ram cs and they told me that I had to buy the cord from my dealer. They told me that the block heater was a factory installed option but the cord was a dealer item at a price of $100+! I spent some time today looking and found it behind the passenger headlight. My cord only has about 1-2 inches of slack so if I want more I will have to undo most of it and reroute it! At the current location I would have to leave my hood open to plug it in.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
since i'm still learning .. the purpose of the block heater in a diesel is to get "something" warm to make it start but at what temperature does that become an issue? i'm in the northern CA area and the coldest we get in the winter is a handful of nights in the upper 20's, usually our winter cold is low 30's. i'm pretty close to tahoe as well and of course there's 'cold' weather there easily enough. i didn't order my ED with the block heater and i don't know if that is going to come back and bite me some day, or is it something that can be added later? anyone able to give me some technical information on this? as always, thanks for the education (i'm trying!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did not order the block heater option, but remember several years back we had a cummins and didn't order one then either, but the truck came with one anyway at no extra charge just no cord. I just confirmed this on my EcoDiesel even though I did not order it, it does indeed have a block heater installed (just no cord). Look in your passenger side wheel well directly behind the alternator you will see a brass gadget with a red rubber weather cap over where the cord plugs into it, that is the block heater. I'm sure somebody makes an aftermarket cord for these, I'm going to try not to give the dealer $95 for a $2 length of cord.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not order the block heater option, but remember several years back we had a cummins and didn't order one then either, but the truck came with one anyway at no extra charge just no cord. I just confirmed this on my EcoDiesel even though I did not order it, it does indeed have a block heater installed (just no cord). Look in your passenger side wheel well directly behind the alternator you will see a brass gadget with a red rubber weather cap over where the cord plugs into it, that is the block heater. I'm sure somebody makes an aftermarket cord for these, I'm going to try not to give the dealer $95 for a $2 length of cord.
All NA EcoDiesels come with integrated block heaters. Just add the cord.... attachment located just back of the alternator. Take wheel off, route cord down from top of engine, tie off and you are done. Easy Peasy, Japaneasy.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
since i'm still learning .. the purpose of the block heater in a diesel is to get "something" warm to make it start but at what temperature does that become an issue? i'm in the northern CA area and the coldest we get in the winter is a handful of nights in the upper 20's, usually our winter cold is low 30's. i'm pretty close to tahoe as well and of course there's 'cold' weather there easily enough. i didn't order my ED with the block heater and i don't know if that is going to come back and bite me some day, or is it something that can be added later? anyone able to give me some technical information on this? as always, thanks for the education (i'm trying!)
The block heter warms the water in the engines water jacket. Mine heats it to 100 deg F and the oil temp on startup was 50 deg F in 28 deg F weather. The manual says the engine should start unassisted down to minus 20 deg F. Using the heater eases the start and fives you heat and defrost sooner and is easier on everything. If I had access to a plugin and my truck was outside I would plug it in when temp is below 20 deg F just for the heating benefits. Best to put it on a timer since it only needs about 2 hours to heat everything up. In your area you will not ever need it to get the engine to start.

Once the cold weather sets in we will learn more but since Ram states it starts to minus 20 F unassisted I expect they are quite confident of than/

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is another thread on this site, and other ecodiesel sites, covering where to order the aftermarket (non mopar) version of this heater cord - It's like $20 instead of $100.

But all of the engines come with the heater installed, the cord is what you get in the US version 'engine block heater' package.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys,

Is there a reason for me to use my engine block heater in weather that is 0 to -2 degrees? I have read that it really isn't necessary until it reaches around -20 (without windchill factor). I am in Northeast Ohio.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My reasons are-

1-bound to be a bit easier on the engine, starter and battery. Hard to know how much real difference it makes but directionally better.

2-Faster cabin heat and defrost

If you have a timer the two hours cost 10-15 cents in electricity and is worth it to me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thank you. I read the manual and my manual has nothing on the block heater. So I called ram cs and they told me that I had to buy the cord from my dealer. They told me that the block heater was a factory installed option but the cord was a dealer item at a price of $100+! I spent some time today looking and found it behind the passenger headlight. My cord only has about 1-2 inches of slack so if I want more I will have to undo most of it and reroute it! At the current location I would have to leave my hood open to plug it in.
For me I had the perfect amount of cord to slip it out and into the crack between the headlight and grill. Only want enough cord there for the plug to move and plug in...not flapping around or easy for someone to rip out. If you need more length use a longer extension cord.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I did end up plugging in my engine block heater last night and it made a significant difference this morning when I started her up! It got down to about -4 last night with a -25 windchill. Is plugging it in when I get home at night and leaving it till the morning or afternoon the right thing to do? Someone told me I should plug it in an hour or two before I plan on driving, but that seems like a hassle and far fetched.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do some searching on these forums, there is a block heater cord made by a company called "Katz" that will fit your 3D and costs $20ish.

You can leave your block heater plugged in all night, or you can put it on a timer to start 2 hours before you leave for work every day. My timer fried recently so now I just plug it in when I wake up, by the time I shower, change and eat breakfast (45 min) the truck starts easily, any time spent plugged in is better then none.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So I did end up plugging in my engine block heater last night and it made a significant difference this morning when I started her up! It got down to about -4 last night with a -25 windchill. Is plugging it in when I get home at night and leaving it till the morning or afternoon the right thing to do? Someone told me I should plug it in an hour or two before I plan on driving, but that seems like a hassle and far fetched.

Thanks again!
No harm in leaving the block heater plugged in except for the additional electricity cost. The cost is pennies per hour most places but can add up if you routinely use it. Depending on the ambient temp the heater has little benefit after about several hours; another post said there is a built-in thermostat but I have not tested this and other sources say no. A timer will pay for itself eventually but works only for people with fixed schedules. Another approach is a power-saver cord that has a thermostat attached to the coolant line which turns the power off when the coolant temp exceeds 40°F. and turns it back on at 20°F.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My reasons are-

1-bound to be a bit easier on the engine, starter and battery. Hard to know how much real difference it makes but directionally better.

2-Faster cabin heat and defrost

If you have a timer the two hours cost 10-15 cents in electricity and is worth it to me.
Don't forget that a pre-warmed engine also gets better economy (as much as 10% for average commute trips) and produces far less cold-start pollution (varies by temperature but 60% is a ballpark figure).

Reactions: 4X4ECORAM
1 - 20 of 54 Posts