RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 and it did not come with the block heater option. My question is does Ram install the block heater element in the block no mater if you get the option or not?

If they do is it just a matter of buying the proper cable to hook to the heater element then to an extension cord?

Pics would be awesome if available thank you

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
You can buy a Kat's #28500 block heater cord and plug it into the block heater that's there already. If you want to get really fancy you can buy some high temperature split wire insulation also (not necessary).
You should be able to see the block heater through the front wheel well, there's probably an orange plug in it.
Being the block heater is the same location you can get a general idea of where the heater is at even though this is a Gen2 engine. Gen3 engines use the block heater part# also. It's 400 watt @ 115V.

That silver line is the blocker heater cord that's wrapped in high temp insulation. If you have tow hooks route the cord out the passenger side and zip tie it to the hook.
When not in use I protect the cord end with an 3-prong ground adapter that the terminals are cut off and packed with dielectric grease.

I use a smart plug w/energy monitoring to schedule for a couple of hours before I need to leave.

· Registered
87 Posts
You can buy a Kat's #28500 block heater cord and plug it into the block heater that's there already. If you want to get really fancy you can buy some high temperature split wire insulation also (not necessary).
You should be able to see the block heater through the front wheel well, there's probably an orange plug in it.
Being the block heater is the same location you can get a general idea of where the heater is at even though this is a Gen2 engine. Gen3 engines use the block heater part# also. It's 400 watt @ 115V.
View attachment 88854
That silver line is the blocker heater cord that's wrapped in high temp insulation. If you have tow hooks route the cord out the passenger side and zip tie it to the hook.
When not in use I protect the cord end with an 3-prong ground adapter that the terminals are cut off and packed with dielectric grease.
View attachment 88855
I use a smart plug w/energy monitoring to schedule for a couple of hours before I need to leave.
Curious about the gen 3 being 400 watt. Based on my looking around my gen 2 pulls 750-800 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
Curious about the gen 3 being 400 watt. Based on my looking around my gen 2 pulls 750-800 watts
If your is pulling 750-800 than it's not the factory spec block heater or how it's being measured is off.
Both the Gen2 and Gen3 EcoDiesel engines use the same block heater part number. It's rated at 400 watts
A Cummins uses a 750 watt heater from the factory.

· Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4
21 Posts
I have a 2020 and it did not come with the block heater option. My question is does Ram install the block heater element in the block no mater if you get the option or not?

If they do is it just a matter of buying the proper cable to hook to the heater element then to an extension cord?

Pics would be awesome if available thank you
BMI makes one that already has the heat shielding on it.

· Registered
119 Posts
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I cannot, for the life of me, find the block heater on my 2020 Wrangler 3.0 ED (same engine as the Ram). Having been an aerospace mechanic in the Air Force, I can damn-near rebuild an engine through the tailpipe, but this block heater eludes me, nonetheless. Does anyone have any clear pictures, diagrams, etc...??? I bought the cord, and would like to be able to use it,

· Registered
3,859 Posts
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I cannot, for the life of me, find the block heater on my 2020 Wrangler 3.0 ED (same engine as the Ram). Having been an aerospace mechanic in the Air Force, I can damn-near rebuild an engine through the tailpipe, but this block heater eludes me, nonetheless. Does anyone have any clear pictures, diagrams, etc...??? I bought the cord, and would like to be able to use it,
Not all third gens came with the block heater pre installed yours might be one of them

· Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My jeep is originally a Kansas vehicle, so me thinks that there was no block heater installed, originally. All I see is a big, threaded brass plug, with a hollow head, when looking through the passenger-side wheel well. Oh "well". 🤣 I went to the dealer, and the parts department couldn't find a part number for the block heater. Looks like it's time to engineer an "alternative way" to preheat the coolant. (I despise oil pan heaters).

· Registered
2022 Eco Diesel Limited GDE Tune
46 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My jeep is originally a Kansas vehicle, so me thinks that there was no block heater installed, originally. All I see is a big, threaded brass plug, with a hollow head, when looking through the passenger-side wheel well. Oh "well". 🤣 I went to the dealer, and the parts department couldn't find a part number for the block heater. Looks like it's time to engineer an "alternative way" to preheat the coolant. (I despise oil pan heaters).
Try these Numbers. 68523853AA for block heater and the cord is 68357826AA. That is the # I came up with when looking for my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

· Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
115 Posts
What's wrong with oil pan heaters? I put one (or two on the Cummins) on every vehicle I own.........of course I live in Alaska so it's kinda necessary. As far as your Jeep goes, it's the same blockheater as the Ecodiesel.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts