RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short, my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel has blown with 129K miles on it. Dealer has submitted a warranty claim to FCA replace the motor and it was denied. The warranty they were trying to use was the extended emissions warranty as I had the update completed at 110K miles so I’m covered up to 155k miles. While the extended warranty doesn’t cover a new engine it covers engine components. Anyone have advice on how to win this so FCA replaces the engine? I was thinking about asking for an itemized list of all engine parts covered and labor to replace each component that is covered to compare to the 12K quote to put a new engine in with labor. Thoughts?

·
Registered
656 Posts
In short, my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel has blown with 129K miles on it. Dealer has submitted a warranty claim to FCA replace the motor and it was denied. The warranty they were trying to use was the extended emissions warranty as I had the update completed at 110K miles so I’m covered up to 155k miles. While the extended warranty doesn’t cover a new engine it covers engine components. Anyone have advice on how to win this so FCA replaces the engine? I was thinking about asking for an itemized list of all engine parts covered and labor to replace each component that is covered to compare to the 12K quote to put a new engine in with labor. Thoughts?
That $3K check doesn't help much with a new engine install. Might still be running fine without the NEW ECM update, who knows. $12K into a 2015 seems on the high end, maybe a used engine might be a better route (maybe) just sayin.

·
Registered
2014 RAM 1500 on its second engine...
1 Posts
Mine blew at 120,288 mi while on cruise control at 70 mph towing my trailer. I’ve owned it for 5 months and put less than 5k mi on it. Same deal with FCA. No coverage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine blew last week, 30mph going around a roundabout. Crankshaft took out both the front and rear main. They want 13k to put the new engine in. I owe 10 on a truck that books at 18 on a good day. This truck has been an absolute nightmare. I called FCA to open a complaint. Explained all of the issues that have plagued me since the night I brought it home, from a dead glow plug controller, to the crooked dealership saying they would pursue a buyback, then keeping me on the line until warranty was up. As commiserative as they were, they informed me there was nothing they could do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would file a vehicle safety complaint with the feds. If there's enough they might intervene. I would also without a doubt file with the BBB. They're not a government agency but they have a lot of clout with companies.
here's some info:
YOUR COMPLAINT IS IMPORTANT
LET'S GET STARTED!
COMPLETE this 5-step form -- it takes about 5 minutes, and have the following information handy:
  • Email Address -- To file a complaint without one or for other assistance, please call the Vehicle Safety Hotline (Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153).
  • Your VIN
    What's this?
  • Any documentation you have related to your complaint, such as photos or a police report
START THE FORM
  • ALL complaints are reviewed.
  • Some complaints may lead to an investigation.
  • Some investigations lead to recalls.
  • Unverifiable complaints may be removed from searchable information.
Note: The review and investigation process MAY take a long time, but don't worry--you will be notified if there is a recall.
Paperwork Reduction Act Burden Statement: A Federal agency may not conduct or sponsor, and a person is not required to respond to, nor shall a person be subject to a penalty for failure to comply with, a collection of information subject to the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act
more
All the information that you submit to NHTSA will be transmitted using a secure mechanism.

).

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
Seen recently on here new complete crate $7995. Mine came with new high pressure fuel pump & turbo. I’ve also read now it includes a 100,000 mile warranty. Basic R&R by aftermarket shop should be in 1,500 to $2,000 range. That’s everything out the door $10k.

I understand the disappointment & stress of a motor going bad. My first engine had the common internal leaking EGR cooler to which I believe low coolant caused the motor to push a head gasket at 371,000 miles. With that kind of miles I didn’t want to sink money in a well used engine with only minimal guarantees. So I bought the crate. Now I just turned 371,000 on my crate motor. Full disclosure though I have complete aftermarket tunes. Most aftermarket tunes turn the EGR off and allow for EGR cooler delete. Friend James recently turned 400,000 miles on his tuned ED as well. Point being they are not destined to fail.

Reactions: Dennisvab

·
Registered
93 Posts
Engine failure with the 3.0 is directly attributed to the excessive soot being re introduced into the engine and ultimately contaminating the oil causing premature engine failure. Just as VernDiesel said, until you either shut the EGR off via ECU programming or delete the system all together the countdown is on, its just a matter of time. Other than that, this is a solid engine.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The contaminated/degraded oil creates more friction/heat. Good oil is the key to any bearings survival rate
It might be good for survival rate but really I think the bearings have been an issue. Now whether they "under designed" them or they were installed poorly I don't know but there's been many early engine failures with the oil FCA installed. Also, why would FCA change the oil spec if there weren't bearing issues?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It might be good for survival rate but really I think the bearings have been an issue. Now whether they "under designed" them or they were installed poorly I don't know but there's been many early engine failures with the oil FCA installed. Also, why would FCA change the oil spec if there weren't bearing issues?
By no means am I saying its not "'possible" for there to be a bearing issue. What I am saying is that as far as install, this would not play a part in it as the process is idiot proof and way more likely an engineering issue if one exists. If I were to bet on the culprit I would lean towards a known/proven issue that exists with the EGR (engine/oil contamination) and ULSD fuel (Lubrication issues) causing devastating effects on these new diesel engines. Food for thought, between both Jeep and Ram since 2014 I would guess have produced probably around 500,00 to 600,000 units combined. While the failure rate is too high IMO its still very low.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
By no means am I saying its not "'possible" for there to be a bearing issue. What I am saying is that as far as install, this would not play a part in it as the process is idiot proof and way more likely an engineering issue if one exists. If I were to bet on the culprit I would lean towards a known/proven issue that exists with the EGR (engine/oil contamination) and ULSD fuel (Lubrication issues) causing devastating effects on these new diesel engines. Food for thought, between both Jeep and Ram since 2014 I would guess have produced probably around 500,00 to 600,000 units combined. While the failure rate is too high IMO its still very low.
Then why on the couple of engine tear downs I've seem do they show signs of line bore issues? Line bore issues can and usually do cause spun bearings aka a common issue on these. Also use to have issues with a certain rod failing which was blamed on an assembly line torque issue. That issue supposedly got fixed and is way less common now. While I do think the bearings are weak and need replaced with a tri metal design I dont think thats the root cause of most failures.

·
Vendor
1,286 Posts
FCA is failing 54 engines a week on the 2014-2019 models as of today, that is still over 2500 blown engines a year. Since 2014, FCA has blown well over 15,000 engines covered by warranty. It is not egr/soot accumulation, but rather the main bearing system. FCAEmployee - call Mauro Puglia, he is the chief engineer on the VM engine and is living in Auburn Hills, MI. He can better explain the problems since you are an insider.

·
Registered
845 Posts
FCA is failing 54 engines a week on the 2014-2019 models as of today, that is still over 2500 blown engines a year. Since 2014, FCA has blown well over 15,000 engines covered by warranty. It is not egr/soot accumulation, but rather the main bearing system. FCAEmployee - call Mauro Puglia, he is the chief engineer on the VM engine and is living in Auburn Hills, MI. He can better explain the problems since you are an insider.
and yet people on the forum keep stating these numbers are out of the ordinary? I seriously doubt the new version (> 2019) will be any better. Time will tell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lol, Mauro is too busy to talk to a peasant like myself. My opinion on the bearing issue is just that. Bearings life span in my experience is directly related to quality of lubrication. It is also my experience that contaminated lubrication will cause premature bearing failure among other things. The EGR setup on this engine introduces a ton of impurities back into the engine which can't be good imo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It looks like you are one of the few people that know something about the Ecodiesel engine failures can you give us a few more details ? If soot was the root cause it should show in the oil analysis as high soot easy to determine. If the root cause was EGR contaminants it would show in any oil analysis that includes the Cummins C-11 EGR contaminant test like Caterpillar use in their testing. If anybody is concerned about soot you could go to Rotella 15-40, IMO the big oil companies 15w-40 product has a more robust additive package for diesel engines.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It looks like you are one of the few people that know something about the Ecodiesel engine failures can you give us a few more details ? If soot was the root cause it should show in the oil analysis as high soot easy to determine. If the root cause was EGR contaminants it would show in any oil analysis that includes the Cummins C-11 EGR contaminant test like Caterpillar use in their testing. If anybody is concerned about soot you could go to Rotella 15-40, IMO the big oil companies 15w-40 product has a more robust additive package for diesel engines.
LOL, by no means do I know more about the bearing issue than anybody else, this is just my opinion based on what I have seen and or read. What I know is that If you combine the fuel (poor lubrication properties) we are running along with the contaminants from the EGR system you are going to have issues imo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
LOL, by no means do I know more about the bearing issue than anybody else, this is just my opinion based on what I have seen and or read. What I know is that If you combine the fuel (poor lubrication properties) we are running along with the contaminants from the EGR system you are going to have issues imo.
Lol I was asking GDE

·
Registered
834 Posts
Obviously bearings have many failure modes. In the end, the numbers continue to take one's breath away. I wouldn't be surprised if the new company merger is putting a squeeze on warrantied ecodiesel engine replacements.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts