RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Then why on the couple of engine tear downs I've seem do they show signs of line bore issues? Line bore issues can and usually do cause spun bearings aka a common issue on these. Also use to have issues with a certain rod failing which was blamed on an assembly line torque issue. That issue supposedly got fixed and is way less common now. While I do think the bearings are weak and need replaced with a tri metal design I dont think thats the root cause of most failures.
Line bore, or maybe a warping line bore after assembly. I am not familiar with the bottom end of this engine but I'm thinking there is a whole lot of aluminum. I don't love any marriage of Aluminum to Steel or cast iron. Aluminum has an expansion rate when heated 10x that of cast iron maybe susceptible to bore warp among a lot of other things.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Line bore, or maybe a warping line bore after assembly. I am not familiar with the bottom end of this engine but I'm thinking there is a whole lot of aluminum. I don't love any marriage of Aluminum to Steel or cast iron. Aluminum has an expansion rate when heated 10x that of cast iron maybe susceptible to bore warp among a lot of other things.
These have a bedplate design and use a cgi block. The bearings are a lead free design to make it safer for the workers at the engine plant. We can thank lawyers suing engine manufacturers for that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
These have a bedplate design and use a cgi block. The bearings are a lead free design to make it safer for the workers at the engine plant. We can thank lawyers suing engine manufacturers for that.
I'm not to concerned about the bearings being lead free so much but like the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. The bedplate is suspect for me but we will never know because FCA seems highly secretive they don't seem to bother opening up the engines to investigate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can tell you from 25 years of hands on experience that absolutely every car manufacturer is in no hurry and when they do fix an issue they will not make it public. Unfortunately the customer suffers in most cases. This was not the case when I was working on aircraft, Military and Civilian thank god.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts