RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,
This will be a rather lengthy post, but I wanted to share my experience of having the lower main bearing failure on my ecodiesel back in May 2022.
To start this off, I did all of my own maintenance with the exception of the first 2 oil changes being done by the dealership. I logged all service records in the My Mopar app on my iPhone. When I say all, I mean all, tire rotations, fuel filters, air filters, cabin air filters, oil changes, etc. I knew these engines had a chance of total failure so I did everything I could to make sure this didn’t happen. I should mention the truck was had just turned 4 years old and GDE emission compliant tune was installed in January 2021. I should also mention my daily drive is a 30 mile round trip, plenty of time for the engine to get up to temp.
Moving forward, about a month before the engine totally went, I heard a faint knocking in my engine, but this was also my first diesel engine and I’ve never heard an engine knocking before. Progressively throughout the weeks it got louder and louder. One day on my way to the gas station, I took a service road and got the rpm’s up, I usually did this once every so often to clear out any built up soot. As soon as I did it, I felt a bump and then I could feel my gas petal shaking some. My wife was in the passenger seat and she said she didn’t feel anything so maybe I was crazy. Anyway, I get to the stop sign and as soon as I stop my oil pressure drops to 0. I freak out a little as my lights are yelling at me at this point, then I accelerate and the oil pressure jumps back to normal. This happened the next 2 times I stopped before I finally got to the gas station.
Needless to say, I call my local dealer and they tell me to get the truck towed to them. After about 4 days of it being at their shop, they tell me the engine is blown. They must have seen my service records on the Mopar app because there were no questions asked about me doing my own maintenance or having to provide proof. Luckily this is all covered under warranty (and I also purchased an extended warranty when I bought it). They told me a new engine was on a 45 day back order and they only covered a rental vehicle for 5 days. After a bit of bickering, they agreed to give me a rental vehicle for the entire time my truck is being repaired. Here we are in mid July 2022 and my service tech tells me that the engine is now projected to be in September 2022, about 4 months from the incident.
Since I have the rental, I’m not really in bad spirits, but it does make me lose a bit of faith in the engine. I’m wondering should I keep the engine now that I have the then starting from scratch or just get a new vehicle. The ecodiesel does exactly what I want, I need a truck that gets good mileage, don’t tow a lot, and when I do it’s relatively light. I was looking at the pre-emission 3rd. Gen 2500s but I think that will be overkill for what I need. I just like working on engines!
I hope this helps someone who may be experiencing something similar or someone that is in the same boat as me now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A rental till its done and a brand new Factory Engine with warranty after 60+ thousand miles ? Buy a Lottery ticket. And congratulations !
I should have specified, the warranty is not a full factory warranty, but I did receive confirmation from the dealership tech that it will come with a 3 year warranty (not sure how my existing extended warranty will apply here, I will figure this out once I go get the truck).
But yes, a rental for the entire time of repair and it’s a 2021 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 hemi - nicer then my ecodiesel lol. The dealership is paying $30 a day for this as they are using a 3rd party rental company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Someone who worked at a dealer told me The 30 a day rental is why insurance companies and walk in customers pay 2 to 3 times that at rental agency . I am a fan of ecodiesel but I feel the weak link is the heavy soot from EGR system and cp4 pump .

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,891 Posts
I didn't wait for mine to blow up, I sold it last year and bought a 2021 cummins 2500. I don't worry at all now. Try to find a blown up cummins on the forums, very rare.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I didn't wait for mine to blow up
I'm not waiting for mine to blow up, but I did buy a backup truck just in case. (y)

The 2014 - 2019 engines are either heros or zeros. There's an 80% chance I have a hero and a 20% change I've got a zero. I'm a risktaker, so I'm keeping my 2015 hero!

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0L
11 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,
This will be a rather lengthy post, but I wanted to share my experience of having the lower main bearing failure on my ecodiesel back in May 2022.
To start this off, I did all of my own maintenance with the exception of the first 2 oil changes being done by the dealership. I logged all service records in the My Mopar app on my iPhone. When I say all, I mean all, tire rotations, fuel filters, air filters, cabin air filters, oil changes, etc. I knew these engines had a chance of total failure so I did everything I could to make sure this didn’t happen. I should mention the truck was had just turned 4 years old and GDE emission compliant tune was installed in January 2021. I should also mention my daily drive is a 30 mile round trip, plenty of time for the engine to get up to temp.
Moving forward, about a month before the engine totally went, I heard a faint knocking in my engine, but this was also my first diesel engine and I’ve never heard an engine knocking before. Progressively throughout the weeks it got louder and louder. One day on my way to the gas station, I took a service road and got the rpm’s up, I usually did this once every so often to clear out any built up soot. As soon as I did it, I felt a bump and then I could feel my gas petal shaking some. My wife was in the passenger seat and she said she didn’t feel anything so maybe I was crazy. Anyway, I get to the stop sign and as soon as I stop my oil pressure drops to 0. I freak out a little as my lights are yelling at me at this point, then I accelerate and the oil pressure jumps back to normal. This happened the next 2 times I stopped before I finally got to the gas station.
Needless to say, I call my local dealer and they tell me to get the truck towed to them. After about 4 days of it being at their shop, they tell me the engine is blown. They must have seen my service records on the Mopar app because there were no questions asked about me doing my own maintenance or having to provide proof. Luckily this is all covered under warranty (and I also purchased an extended warranty when I bought it). They told me a new engine was on a 45 day back order and they only covered a rental vehicle for 5 days. After a bit of bickering, they agreed to give me a rental vehicle for the entire time my truck is being repaired. Here we are in mid July 2022 and my service tech tells me that the engine is now projected to be in September 2022, about 4 months from the incident.
Since I have the rental, I’m not really in bad spirits, but it does make me lose a bit of faith in the engine. I’m wondering should I keep the engine now that I have the then starting from scratch or just get a new vehicle. The ecodiesel does exactly what I want, I need a truck that gets good mileage, don’t tow a lot, and when I do it’s relatively light. I was looking at the pre-emission 3rd. Gen 2500s but I think that will be overkill for what I need. I just like working on engines!
I hope this helps someone who may be experiencing something similar or someone that is in the same boat as me now!
WOW... I just posted almost the same exact post word for word.....All of this happened to me to a T ...... I am getting no help from the dealership... :(

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0L
11 Posts
2015 RAM 1500 ECODIESEL 3.0L HELP!!!!!!

I am the 2nd owner, purchased in 2019 with 30,000 miles....now has about 80,000
I am new to this forum, do not know where to start...hopefully some feedback and recommendations upon any other similar experiences.......

This is has been a long drawn out experience, but will try to start from the beginning. Back in May 2022, my electronic throttle cable light came on....lost power...and started smoking from under the engine. I had it towed to the dealership, who proceeded to complete the past due recalls, including the V08 and EGR. They had my truck for 4 months. (apparently parts take forever to come since COVID)......I FINALLY get it back.....was told it runs great now.....I proceed to pick it up from the dealership and drive home (12 Miles)....Seemed like it was back to normal. I was just so happy to finally have my truck back. Went to work in the morning (15 miles). On the way home from work, my engine blew. (loud loud noise from bottom end of engine along with a trail of oil until). Truck didn't start, and I had it towed directly back to the dealership. Now my truck has been sitting there for 2 months because they refuse to say that it had anything to do with what they had done.....which is BS because that would be such a coincidence. I have found out that through FCA, there is an extended warranty if you had the v08 recall completed, which I did. It covers motor parts, but not all. I have been arguing back and forth with the dealership about this new "x78" extended warranty. They have told me and insisted that it did not exist and their local rep agreed. - Through ALOT of phone calls on my behalf to the FCA, I pled with them to please contact my dealership and tell them what they are telling me. - Through looking things up on the internet regarding recalls and warranty's, I also found the step by step instructions (for the dealerships) on how to complete the v08 recall. it states numerous times, in bold and underlined, that a copy of the new extended warranty needs to be provided to the customer before completion on the v08 recall. - So not only was I not given one, I was being told it doesn't exist. I proceeded to email all of my internet found documentation to the dealership (who still will not look at my truck to even tell me what happened to the motor). I am at a stand still with a dealership that will not touch my vehicle, when I can totally ASSUME my motor blew after only a few miles, because a fault of theirs. I owe about the same amount that it books for currently. This has been months of payments and insurance payments on a vehicle sitting at the dealership, who they refuse to touch. I just want them to take responsibility, and at least tell me what is wrong or exactly broken on my engine. I understand all of the components are not covered on the x78 extended warranty, but alot may be. They finally acknowledged this warranty, after i threatened to call and attorney yesterday....but are now trying to tell me that it doesn't pertain to me because I am not the original owner....So, on the phone with the FCA, AGAIN, and they verified it does NOT matter how many owners......the criteria is this:

10 years
120,000 miles
or by Sept 2025

* I am a country girl. I change my own oil etc. Always have. Very simple on this truck.

How can a dealership give so much incorrect information to a customer? I know I am a girl, but I am not stupid either. I do need HELP and do NOT know what to do......

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,891 Posts
2015 RAM 1500 ECODIESEL 3.0L HELP!!!!!!

I am the 2nd owner, purchased in 2019 with 30,000 miles....now has about 80,000
I am new to this forum, do not know where to start...hopefully some feedback and recommendations upon any other similar experiences.......

This is has been a long drawn out experience, but will try to start from the beginning. Back in May 2022, my electronic throttle cable light came on....lost power...and started smoking from under the engine. I had it towed to the dealership, who proceeded to complete the past due recalls, including the V08 and EGR. They had my truck for 4 months. (apparently parts take forever to come since COVID)......I FINALLY get it back.....was told it runs great now.....I proceed to pick it up from the dealership and drive home (12 Miles)....Seemed like it was back to normal. I was just so happy to finally have my truck back. Went to work in the morning (15 miles). On the way home from work, my engine blew. (loud loud noise from bottom end of engine along with a trail of oil until). Truck didn't start, and I had it towed directly back to the dealership. Now my truck has been sitting there for 2 months because they refuse to say that it had anything to do with what they had done.....which is BS because that would be such a coincidence. I have found out that through FCA, there is an extended warranty if you had the v08 recall completed, which I did. It covers motor parts, but not all. I have been arguing back and forth with the dealership about this new "x78" extended warranty. They have told me and insisted that it did not exist and their local rep agreed. - Through ALOT of phone calls on my behalf to the FCA, I pled with them to please contact my dealership and tell them what they are telling me. - Through looking things up on the internet regarding recalls and warranty's, I also found the step by step instructions (for the dealerships) on how to complete the v08 recall. it states numerous times, in bold and underlined, that a copy of the new extended warranty needs to be provided to the customer before completion on the v08 recall. - So not only was I not given one, I was being told it doesn't exist. I proceeded to email all of my internet found documentation to the dealership (who still will not look at my truck to even tell me what happened to the motor). I am at a stand still with a dealership that will not touch my vehicle, when I can totally ASSUME my motor blew after only a few miles, because a fault of theirs. I owe about the same amount that it books for currently. This has been months of payments and insurance payments on a vehicle sitting at the dealership, who they refuse to touch. I just want them to take responsibility, and at least tell me what is wrong or exactly broken on my engine. I understand all of the components are not covered on the x78 extended warranty, but alot may be. They finally acknowledged this warranty, after i threatened to call and attorney yesterday....but are now trying to tell me that it doesn't pertain to me because I am not the original owner....So, on the phone with the FCA, AGAIN, and they verified it does NOT matter how many owners......the criteria is this:

10 years
120,000 miles
or by Sept 2025

* I am a country girl. I change my own oil etc. Always have. Very simple on this truck.

How can a dealership give so much incorrect information to a customer? I know I am a girl, but I am not stupid either. I do need HELP and do NOT know what to do......
Keep at it and I wish you luck on this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@ Recur... reach out on this forum to Ramcares and see if they can help you out.

KBA CBA Wow... at least they are getting a new motor for you. I am doing the same with my service records just in case something happens with mine. I'm at 45k now. What kind of Oil were you running? just curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts