RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started another thread but things have turned in a slightly different direction. To be short and simple, I’m losing a lot of coolant through overflow of the degas bottle. I put dye into the coolant and have found that there is coolant present in the oil (via UV light detecting the dye). However, I cannot say there is any oil in the coolant reservoir.

When the truck is cold there is no loss of coolant. Only when the truck is warmed up, it begins to spit it out via overflow, it behaves like there is too much pressure in the cooling system. I pressure tested the cooling system when cold and it holds 19 psi. I believe they test at 16 psi at the dealer. I also have a new cap on the degas bottle.

I have no white smoke or any kind of puff from exhaust even during startup. I’ve never witnessed the truck overheating, and recently had the EGR replaced per the recall a few months ago. There is no coolant present in the intake manifold (confirmed with UV light). Currently running a GDE hot tune, with EGR attached (plan to delete it after addressing outstanding issues). I do not have coverage under the extended warranty, thus any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Antifreeze in oil is a Guaranteed Bearing Killer...

Hook up your pressure tester and have someone accelerate your engine, you’ll see the pressure tester dramatically increase psi if you have a blown head gasket ...

Only when Hot is usually a issue with a cracked head , the crack expands with engine temperatures....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Haul N Grass i hooked up the pressure meter to the degas bottle and got the temperature up to 185 degrees. I had someone rev the engine and the gauge did not move.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It sounds like you have a egr cooler failing (yes they can be bad right out of the box) I would go ahead and take that thing off and retest. With a tune that disables the egr you wont get coolant in the intake from a failed egr you well get an over pressurized cooling system and then might get some seep down into the exhaust as it cools down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you have a egr cooler failing (yes they can be bad right out of the box) I would go ahead and take that thing off and retest. With a tune that disables the egr you wont get coolant in the intake from a failed egr you well get an over pressurized cooling system and then might get some seep down into the exhaust as it cools down.
So I am running a GDE hot tune but have not physically removed the EGR. After this is all over I definitely plan to do so. However, if this in fact is a bad EGR id like ram to diagnose it and fix it. Meaning change any fluids that need changing. I have been driving with coolant in my oil. It’s been about 2k miles since recall was done. Should I be worrying about what premature wear I have caused?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
So I am running a GDE hot tune but have not physically removed the EGR. After this is all over I definitely plan to do so. However, if this in fact is a bad EGR id like ram to diagnose it and fix it. Meaning change any fluids that need changing. I have been driving with coolant in my oil. It’s been about 2k miles since recall was done. Should I be worrying about what premature wear I have caused?
Pull an oil sample and get it tested in the mean time park it if possible. Glycol is hard on bearing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why don't you put a block off plate on the EGR inlet and this will rule out the EGR.
I am having a similar issue, and was driving today with a pressure gauge hooked up and brand new cap and can tell my pressure was reaching over 21 psi and then slowly droping to 21 and even lower. The pressure would go up on climbing hills. Sometimes it will spit coolant out sometimes not. For a 500 trip today I had half a pint in the catch bottle. Last week did the same trip and had one pint spit out.
The coolant does not smell at all like exhaust.

I will have to get dye in the coolant like you did and get my oil tested.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received my results from Blackstone this afternoon. In less than 10 miles after sampling I put dye into the coolant. In 150 miles or so I see the dye shows up in the oil. To my surprise, they didn’t get any hint of water or coolant in the oil. Truck is still at Ram and they are also sending off samples for testing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke with the dealer today and was told the mechanic put his own dye into the coolant and could not find any in the oil? I don’t know if they ran it long enough to ever show up in the oil, but that’s good news so far. I am waiting to hear back from them as they sent out oil for an analysis as well.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I am using a black light. I looked at the oil with the light before putting dye into coolant. It did not reflect the same way.
Did it have fuel dilution when you put dye in it? Your oil analysis shows there is no coolant in the oil, yes the boron is a little up but thats it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer had their own oil analysis done and there was no coolant present in engine oil. They were instructed to take the truck for an extended test drive (they’ve been dealing with STAR, I guess it’s their go to people when they need assistance). After a 30-40 mile drive they saw no loss of coolant. They had reservoir tank marked. The only explanation the tech had was that there was an air bubble present that caused all of this. So tomorrow I am going to go there and figure out who will pay for all of this. Since they did acknowledge they lose about 1/4 to 1/2 gal of coolant when doing EGR recall.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dennis I think the air bubble is in the tech's head.

Do you know if they did exhaust gas in the coolant test, they should have the test kit.
Another test would be after getting the engine warmed up to floor the gas pedal a few times when riding it, that will cause coolant to come out of the pressure relief tube.
I bet you have a very small head gasket leak.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will find out for sure tomorrow all the tests they have done. If I were to drive 30-40 miles a lot of coolant would have been lost. They marked the reservoir tank and said the level was the same after their trip. Will find out more details tomorrow when I visit them. This was all over a phone call today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts