RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,403 Posts
Does anyone here actually use it vs normal def?
I don't. I buy the cheapest as DEF is DEF.
Some that do use Platinum have reported they had less crystalizing at the injector

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't. I buy the cheapest as DEF is DEF.
Is it? I saw that BlueDEF Platinum specifically says it contains a "proprietary additive package". Are they just bald-faced lying about that?

This: https://asset.productmarketingcloud.com/api/assetstorage/2482_96eedd36-4670-4e1e-bb2e-30e40ce33059

says this: "BlueDEF PLATINUM™ with advanced SYSTEM SHIELD™ technology is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water, and our proprietary additive package manufactured under ISO 22241 guidelines to ensure product quality"

and is from here: https://www.owi.com/commercial/bran...t-fluid/bluedef-platinum-diesel-exhaust-fluid

Click the link to download Specs to get to the PDF.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Is it? I saw that BlueDEF Platinum specifically says it contains a "proprietary additive package". Are they just bald-faced lying about that?

This: https://asset.productmarketingcloud.com/api/assetstorage/2482_96eedd36-4670-4e1e-bb2e-30e40ce33059

says this: "BlueDEF PLATINUM™ with advanced SYSTEM SHIELD™ technology is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water, and our proprietary additive package manufactured under ISO 22241 guidelines to ensure product quality"

and is from here: https://www.owi.com/commercial/bran...t-fluid/bluedef-platinum-diesel-exhaust-fluid

Click the link to download Specs to get to the PDF.
I'm just referring to the DEF ingredient. They can add all the additives they want, there's 33.5-33% DEF in it. DEF is DEF.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm just referring to the DEF ingredient. They can add all the additives they want, there's 33.5-33% DEF in it. DEF is DEF.
But then, what you posted sounded like an answer to the OP's question, but it really wasn't, was it?

And I think you mean that there is 32.5% urea in DEF. DEF is 100% DEF, not 33% DEF. So, some DEF is urea plus water and other DEF is urea plus water plus an additive package. In other words, no it's not accurate to say "DEF is DEF".

Either that or the makers of BlueDEF Platinum are bald-faced lying. I could believe either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I suppose you can add 3 crystals of unobtainium or nonreactium and then claim it's got a proprietary product that makes it "better" I put Helium in my tires, it lowers my GVW by 10%. Just pulling legs.
True. But, whether it is better or not, it is not accurate to say that it is the SAME as the other DEF that doesn't have that unobtainium in it. :D

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I mean exactly what I said, DEF is DEF. DEF is not 100% DEF!
Any package or pump identified as DEF, by EPA's rules, has to contain a volume of no less than 33.2% Urea and 67.5% demineralized water.
As far as I know, Peak's (Old World Industries) Blue DEF Platinum has 33.2% of synthetic urea plus their proprietary additive.

If you have any data to the contrary, please post it

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
49 Posts
I mean exactly what I said, DEF is DEF. DEF is not 100% DEF!
Any package or pump identified as DEF, by EPA's rules, has to contain a volume of no less than 33.2% Urea and 67.5% demineralized water.
As far as I know, Peak's (Old World Industries) Blue DEF Platinum has 33.2% of synthetic urea plus their proprietary additive.

DEF is not 100% DEF? Is water not 100% water? Is gasoline not 100% gasoline? You said earlier that DEF is 33% DEF. That is not correct.

So, is the liquid in a jug of BlueDEF Platinum DEF or not?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I posted links above to the documents stating what is in a jug of BlueDEF Platinum.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
DEF is not 100% DEF? Is water not 100% water? Is gasoline not 100% gasoline? You said earlier that DEF is 33% DEF. That is not correct.

So, is the liquid in a jug of BlueDEF Platinum DEF or not?
Yeah, you are correct. It's not grammatically correct to say DEF is 33%. By definition, DEF is 100%.
The point was DEF only has 33.2% Urea and DEF is DEF.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, you are correct. It's not grammatically correct to say DEF is 33%. By definition, DEF is 100%.
The point was DEF only has 33.2% Urea and DEF is DEF.
So, is a jug of BlueDEF Platinum DEF or not?

The OP was asking about using BlueDEF premium (which I took as really meaning Platinum). So, are you saying that is not DEF? Or are you saying it's exactly the same as, for example, SuperTech DEF?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I've been running Platinum DEF for about 3.5 years. So far, I haven't had any DEF injector clogging issues since switching over. Before running Platinum, I had issues with the DEF injector clogging. Based on my driving habits (lots of short commutes), it makes sense for me to keep running Platinum. In my opinion, prolonging the life of the SCR system could really payoff, especially if deposit buildup becomes restrictive. I'm OCD, but from my perspective, Platinum = insurance and peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
So, is a jug of BlueDEF Platinum DEF or not?

The OP was asking about using BlueDEF premium (which I took as really meaning Platinum). So, are you saying that is not DEF? Or are you saying it's exactly the same as, for example, SuperTech DEF?
Yes, Blue DEF Platinum is DEF, with an additive

The OP only asked if anyone is using it. I said I am not.

I'm saying that any bottle or pump that says it is DEF has to meet the EPA standards for DEF which is 33.2% Urea and 67.5% demineralized water. Yes, I'm saying DEF is DEF. There are only 3 or 4 makers of DEF in the USA. Doesn't make any difference what brand it all comes from those makers. So does Blue DEF Platinum, I assume their additive is added by the maker.

And as biodiesel reported, those using the Platinum are reporting they have less or no DEF injector clogging issues

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
My answer is NO.

I most always stop at a truck stop and fill the DEF there. Cheaper, fresh and you get to fill the tank with no waste, buying separate, carrying, opening, pouring and disposing of the container.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Supposedly that high test DEF has a surfactant in it to help prevent crystallization.

Reactions: John Jensen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry yes I meant platinum, I understand why some people don't use it. I just wanted to see how many people really do run it and what there experience has been. I use it cause I daily drive more during the week but also do long trips on the weekends. So far I've had zero problems with def crystallization.

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
98 Posts
I've been running Platinum DEF for about 3.5 years.
Interesting, Old World Industries LLC announced the launch of BlueDEF PLATINUM on November 25, 2020, just over a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Interesting, Old World Industries LLC announced the launch of BlueDEF PLATINUM on November 25, 2020, just over a year and a half ago.
I remember buying a few boxes but not using it until the old DEF was mostly used up. According to my records, I added 5 gallons of Platinum DEF in 11/29/2020. That was when I switched over. So, based on that information, I've been using it for a little over 1.5 years. It seems like it's been around for much longer than that, but my records show otherwise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To add a vote, I'm using it at least 50% of the time--essentially alternating between it and the regular BlueDEF. I have never added DEF at a truck stop because I've seldom had to fill up at a truck stop. With a range of 800-900 miles, I tend to be back home and fill up locally. If, and I hope it becomes "when," we are traveling and towing more in the truck, I expect I'll use truck stop DEF some. I think in the first 8500 miles, I've gotten fuel outside my home county once.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts