RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Never experienced blue smoke with my 60hp tunes just lots of black smoke under heavy throttle. Little bit of white smoke during winter time when cold but not like you mentioned. Since your wanting a bigger turbo anyways research black haze workshop they make a bigger modified turbo and use mr tuning to complement it.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Thanks Brokendown, the smell I'm describing and blue smoke can go hand in hand... but along with the burning oil smell had me concerned.
This tune is relatively agressive, but.I expected a little extra, stoich diesel smell, not citrus, unburnt.
It will throw a bit of black before spooling, so briefly..
But constant eye burning citrus...

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I bought a digital, dual plane balancing machine and lathe, along with gt22 turbine and billet gt60 comp. Intending to build and balance the turbo. With the intention of using my current tune, but would really like to reduce the strong unburnt diesel smell. And know the combustion is correct

Okay, so let me try to spend some of your money! I'm thinking that a good way to find out if it's the tune would be to get the GDE off-road tune and install it to see if that fixes your smell problem. But that's a lot of money to replace the tune you've already spent lots of money on. But if you're rich...

Also, when you're cleaning off the soot I would recommend using carb cleaner instead of brake cleaner. I say this because I learned it from Rawze's forum which is about big ol' diesels in 18-wheelers. He found that for some reason soot would not stick as bad after cleaning if he used carb cleaner instead of brake cleaner.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Hey all, thanks again for your input & suggestions. Great to learn that of the carb cleaner vs brake cleaner...!
As for the tune, when I reassemble I'm going to go see my tuner, flash back to stock, and see how it smells...
If all clears up, cleanish complete burn scent I mean, I will expect him to clean up the tune.
I paid over $1500 for the tune & a small exhaust kit included, but not installed.

A friend of mine did a full delete here in Vancouver BC at some shop. Dont exactly recall the name of the place... But he had same complaint.. Strong odor and watery eyes. I wonder how its like fully deleted with GDE.. I only have the GDE hot tune so cant tell.

Another thing to keep in mind.. Older diesels like vw tdis and even some cummins powered 1 tons prior to 2008 had just the Doc in the exhaust. DOC helps alot with reducing the strong diesel stink.

Since most people delete out the DOC/Dpf/scr together nowdays it actually stinks more then the older diesels.

Fascinating read. Nothing I can relate to at all. Just fascinating that boys sure like to play with their toys.

Glad you can pay for this experience and have multiple other vehicles to use while you play. Enjoy the ride and the mods.

when I reassemble I'm going to go see my tuner, flash back to stock
If you have already gotten rid of the DPF this will not work.

I wonder how its like fully deleted with GDE
I have the off-road tune from GDE. The only time I notice anything is under "optimum" circumstances. By optimum I mean: When I warm it up if the wind is blowing toward my front door I get a whiff when I come back outside. And there were a few times when I was Ubering/Lyfting that the odor would come in when picking up/dropping off passengers if there was no wind and the fumes could accumulate for the minute or so that it took them to get in/out. And it's just diesel stank. Nothing eye watering. Well, I suppose if you just sat there for a couple of extra unneeded minutes it could get to the eye watering point.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Thanks all again for chiming in...
As I mentioned earlier, I pressure & leak down tested my injectors at 4500psi..and didn't see even a drop of diesel on any nozzles...
Would that seem conclusive that the injectors are good, or would that test alone not be all that is needed to draw the conclusion that the injectors are good?
To recap, truck ran well, just strong unburnt smell...

If you still have your stock dpf assembly you can gut out the back section(dpf filter) and leave the front part(doc) in the exhaust and that will take care of the strong smell.
Doc itself will not clog up or effect your truck in any way.

You're kidding..! There is a 2 stage filter in there? First stage free flowing enough to have very little restriction, but reduce tye smell?
1st=doc
2nd=dpf
3rd =scr.

Yes Doc is free flowing and does not catch soot. If smell is your issue just use the Doc and take the dpf and scr out. Doc will take away the strong diesel smell and you will be happy.

Everything you've checked that's mechanical appears normal for your mileage. I suspect a poor ECM tune.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Thanks again all! I haven't disturbed the timing yet, but will have to remove the cams if I'm going to re-torque the head...
Any opinions or experience as to whether I should re-torque or not?

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Thanks!
I was reading a forum today, regarding the vm motori, a630.
Was a mostly Australian forum I believe... One of the members tested the head bolts, crushing down to 250ft lbs, with no stretch...
He checked stretch at 100ft lbs, 130, 150, finally crushed to 250 before the head stripped.. still, no stretch in the bolt...!!
He referred to the bolts as 1/2' inch shafts, that are anything BUT "torque to yeild" bolts...
It later seemed they were talking about the 2.8L vm motori...
Do these engines share similar bolts?
I'd love to get a set of APR's for it (for peace of mind) but haven't been able to find any yet...

No idea if there similar to the 2.8 but yes they are a strong bolt. Arp does not offer a kit for these but do make some that well work but they need all the measurements. There is two guys I know of that are using aftermarket head studs in there engines but neither has got there engine running yet, one is at a fab shop getting his turbo setup fabricated and well hopefully running soon. Wagler might have the info off hand if you contact them.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.