RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivingziggy's thread about a "Hair up my butt!" got me thinking. Which is a dangerous proposition!
How to build a frame on my boat trailer so that I could take one of those small trailers, remove the box from the frame and mount it above my bass boat? Don’t want a camper in the bed, too much hassle and no place to store it.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
There are a few reputable welders in Fresno that would love to tackle a project like this for you...even better if they could weld it together but make it removable with a few brackets and bolts, to eliminate weight/drag when you don't need it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few reputable welders in Fresno that would love to tackle a project like this for you...even better if they could weld it together but make it removable with a few brackets and bolts, to eliminate weight/drag when you don't need it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thanks DJ I have a friend that has a shop and welds. Your bracket idea to make it removable is spot on! :p

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen this done with duck boats very often placing a smaller boat such as a kayak or sneak boat on the top and then they'd actually keep them on top driving the boat until they got to the spot. Having said that, a fiberglass mounting system would look much different that the heavy aluminum duck boats I've had experience with. As stated, talk to a good welder, make sure the frame setup won't scuff the crap out of your boat.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Those top rack set ups remind if the trailers used by rowing teams to carry their up to 8 person boats.

Just wondering how you get a skidoo up there.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
You want to put a camper above that boat trailer?

The trailer is a small one axle job. It will not take any kind of weight. You would at least need a twin axle unit to handle a camper up top. It would also be quite basic with no water, shower, kitchen, air conditioning, heater etc. Think toy hauler. Add a winch up into the cargo area of the toy hauler and winch your boat in, trailer and all.

I think too, two, too, 2, to ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts